Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
Oct 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #466 of 651
Hey sorry for asking so many questions but what do you think I could expect going from the xba3 to the 7550 sound wise? I am trying to figure out what makes a headphone clear, for instance the re400 has fantastic detail, more than the xba3 for me but it does not sound as clear, it has this muffled sound, is that the treble?

Also you dont recommend the xba40?

I will miss the mic but I'll manage.

Simply put, there are several different types of clarity.

An earphone can sound very clear because the high frequency sounds, or some of the frequencies, are emphasised. This is probably the case with the XBA-3. A lack of high frequencies can make things sound muffled.

An earphone can sound clear because there is not much resonance from the driver housing. Earphones can have resonances and other issues because the actual earpiece itself echoes with the movement of sound waves inside the earphone. Since the echoes were never actually present in the actual recording, they may make the sound appear muffled or indistinct. This is why more expensive earphones tend to use higher quality, non-resonant materials like metal or ceramic.

An earphone can sound clear because the driver itself is well designed and inside a well designed earpiece. For instance, if a driver is made of materials with a high strength to weight/mass ratio, this means that it is able to move faster or handle more input power without distorting. Therefore it can more accurately reflect the input signal. This is why companies use balanced armatures or dynamic drivers coated with materials like titanium, carbon nanotubes, etc. The RE-400 is a well designed earphone in this sense.

There are other factors as well, but as you can see 'clarity' is a very ambiguous word. It can be difficult to tell by ear what is the 'clarity' of an earphone without a lot of comparison between different earphones that give you some clue as to what to look for. Learning to interpret measurements of earphones helps in this regard.

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #467 of 651
Hey sorry for asking so many questions but what do you think I could expect going from the xba3 to the 7550 sound wise? I am trying to figure out what makes a headphone clear, for instance the re400 has fantastic detail, more than the xba3 for me but it does not sound as clear, it has this muffled sound, is that the treble?

Also you dont recommend the xba40?

I will miss the mic but I'll manage.

No problem!

From XBA-3 to 7550, you will notice many changes. Biggest would be the bass. 7550 has the best bass. Not really thick or rich mid bass, but really impactful and deep mid bass. 7550 has bit more open feel to the sound, as well as much better comfort. I find 7550 to be on par with XBA3 in terms of clarity. Muffled sound can be caused by lots of things. Thick mids, over powering mid bass, and lack of treble can be those causes.

While I think XBA40 is great, they have some flaws. Overly warm sound with huge housing, un-BA like sound. It just is too warm and colored and lacks really good bass punch.

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #468 of 651
Its settled, I'll wait till the H1 comes out, hear some impressions and then make my choice, the H1 or 7550.

I really really hope the H1 is good, I love the looks and its a normal fit iem which I like, more importantly its a really good price which I can afford, if the H1 is better than the XBA3 then I think I have my next iem, as of now though I have no idea what the H1 will be like.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #469 of 651
Also about the xba40, do they even sound much different than the 3? I ask because apparently the 3's and 4's are not that much difference but many say the new xba refresh sound different (better).

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #474 of 651
I think there are more details in EX1000 and i feel more comfortable with it
redface.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #476 of 651
Initially I wasn't a fan of over ear either. But I've actually grown to prefer wearing IEMs over ear as it offers more stability, a better fit and of course more support for the IEM itself and less strain on the cable housing.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #480 of 651
Yea I like great isolation like with my xba3, its not completly silent but I only hear the very load things, im good with that though as I am always very attent to whats happening around me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back