Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
Jan 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #256 of 651

Glad you are enjoying them @ ANDEROAN!! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I just got ericp10s set of 7550s! and coming from the 600s they are quiet the different beast, I'm liking them alot, but they are alot different from what I was loving with the well burnt in 600s, no more sibilant and harsh mids with them anymore! and no any sibilance with the 7550s, they have a very rich and luscious sound to them, not as big of a soundstage like the 600s, and a little less 3 dimensional, but I'm still liking how the sound alot, but they have much more of a bass end to them, and the vocals are way more forwards than the 600s also, still working on how they sound the best, and at the moment it is with the ZO and the GS Voyager with the contour switched on,

it goes, iPod 7th gen Classic, for the 7550s I can go with the equalizer off, with the 600s I always had it on hip hop mode>all silver lod>GS Voyager with the contour switch on, with the 600s I had to keep the contour switched off because it added to the 600s sibilance alot, but with the 7550s there is no sibilance issue, so contour away, and the GS Voaygers contour switch really gives the mids and highs much more of a presence, as the bass is uber rich and thumping fun>so then I use an all silver 3.5 mini>ZOv1 which I set to a med setting, cuz it is enough thump along with the Voyager, with the 600s I always had it set to the highest setting, and no contour switch with the GS V>7750s!!!! and using Head-Directs large bi-flange tips!! same with on the 600s, but then I also used the filters that comes with the tips, again it seemed to help with the sibilance issues on the 600s, but with the 7550s I can take away any sibilance measures! YEA! same with the innerconnects, the lod and the 3.5 mini, with the 600s I used copper/gold plated ones as it would deemphasize the high end of the sound spectrum, and with the 7550s I can go back to the all silver which emphasizes the high end and enlarges the soundstage, and will give better instrument seperation also,

and I just bought DannyBais set of GR07s, so I can give them a listen! and find out for myself what everbody else has been tuning into,oh and his Rocoo P also, so I can finally here something other than my iPod 7th gen Classic, hhmmm I wonder what it will sound like? oh well I will know soon enough, so no more readin about it in the threads, and I might even do a little posting of it myself, hope its worth my time? but these 7550s will be in my ears for a while yet, a very heavy but addictive sound they are having with me, ggrrr, rich, thick, and luscious!

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #257 of 651
First of all, I apologize if I am posting in the wrong thread as I really don't own a 7550, but an EX800ST. I also posted it here because this has the most recent post date, compared to the EX800ST thread.

I recently purchased an EX800ST after reading enough reviews and impressions. I am only using this for about 25-30 hours though. It feels and sounds great, awesome comfort, accurate bass, transparent mids.. but I am having a problem with the highs/treble. They are too harsh for me, specially the cymbals and its like its clashing in my ears very hard and it sounds like.. very unrefined. Also I am hearing harsh sibilance with the Sh, Shi, She, etc.. words whether it was from a male or female vocals. Essssss and Ssssss doesn't have any sibilance at all. Treble spike doesn't have it as well except for the cymbals and any other forward-sounding instrument within the cymbal's frequency.

Am I the only person who is hearing these issues with the IEM (assuming the EX800ST really sound the same as the 7550), or I am hearing this because of fit issues? Note that I am also hearing these with the EX600 and EX1000 that I have auditioned before.

Also, when I push the EX800ST further inside my ears, to the point that I feel like I am using a CIEM.. it is still comfortable though! The harshness of the treble lessens by alot, and the instruments in the treble region (cymbals and others) sounds very refined, very clear to be exact. I love it.

Also, can anyone recommend me any other set of tips that fits well with the 7550/EX800ST? Assuming I really am experiencing fit issues with the IEM.

I also own an RK-EX1000 Cable which I currently using with the EX800ST and I find it less bass body than the EX800 Cable, but with more accurate presentation, bigger soundstage, and cleaner sound than the EX800 Cable. Also, the harsh treble that I am currently complaining (due to possible fit issue?) is lesser when using the RK-EX1000 Cable.

I thought the EX800St would have the same sig as the CD900ST, which I own as well. But I guess it is not... I don't think I'm going to sell this though since I really don't want to venture to the IEM world, haha. I just bought this as a substitute for my CD900ST during rainy season, I really dont mind its problem with isolation.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #258 of 651
Hey hey, well I have had the EX600s for the past few months and am totally enamoured with them! ka-sweet! and then I went for the MDR7550s, and kazowies! talk about FULL sounding iems, these are those, lol, and I have been using Head-Directs large bi-flange tips, and shoved deep into these ear canals, but I started by modding them at first but my canals have enlarged and can accomidate the whole thing! the mod is just trimming off the larger of the two flanges, so I can still take advantage of the log stem of the tips, but I recomend trying out the H Ds large bi-flange tips, and yes the deeper the insertion the better/fuller the sound! and damn these babies are awesome! a huge/full sound, not as large and 3d'ish sound stage as the 600s, but I ain't missing it in place of thefull sound these babbies can handle, my rig is iPod Classics 7th gen all silver lod>GS Voyager witht the contour switch on>all silver 3.5mm interconnect>ZOv1 turned all the way up!>MDR7550s! talk about awesomeness! these can handle it all and still have a balanced sound to them! thump thump thump, is that the ground shaking! lol, 
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #259 of 651
I had no problems with the treble of the MDR7550 and I believe the 800 is just the Japanese model of the 7550 (but who knows maybe there is bigger differences than the model number).

Mar 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #260 of 651
Yes and no. If I were you, I'd purchase an extended warranty as well which lasts at five years to secure satisfaction. 

In my case, I have a pair with the knurled coupling that needs to replaced. Unfortunately, because of where I purchased the item, I have to file a civil suit just to be recognized. I hoping that will be averted. But the sound quality is awesome. There are better items but unless in a studio, it's highly unlikely that you'll need better speaker quality. My .02

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #261 of 651

Quote:
After being very impressed by the EX1000s, curiosity got the better of me: I should be getting the 7550s within a week or so. Having already got both EX1000 & EX600 (both with 16mm drivers like the 7550/EX800), I'm very curious to see just how 'balanced' the 7550s are. By the time I get the 7550s, I should soon be getting my EX1000s back (currently elsewhere) and be able to compare both IEMs.

looking forward  for your review!

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #262 of 651

Quote:
First of all, I apologize if I am posting in the wrong thread as I really don't own a 7550, but an EX800ST. I also posted it here because this has the most recent post date, compared to the EX800ST thread.

I recently purchased an EX800ST after reading enough reviews and impressions. I am only using this for about 25-30 hours though. It feels and sounds great, awesome comfort, accurate bass, transparent mids.. but I am having a problem with the highs/treble. They are too harsh for me, specially the cymbals and its like its clashing in my ears very hard and it sounds like.. very unrefined. Also I am hearing harsh sibilance with the Sh, Shi, She, etc.. words whether it was from a male or female vocals. Essssss and Ssssss doesn't have any sibilance at all. Treble spike doesn't have it as well except for the cymbals and any other forward-sounding instrument within the cymbal's frequency.

Am I the only person who is hearing these issues with the IEM (assuming the EX800ST really sound the same as the 7550), or I am hearing this because of fit issues? Note that I am also hearing these with the EX600 and EX1000 that I have auditioned before.

Also, when I push the EX800ST further inside my ears, to the point that I feel like I am using a CIEM.. it is still comfortable though! The harshness of the treble lessens by alot, and the instruments in the treble region (cymbals and others) sounds very refined, very clear to be exact. I love it.

Also, can anyone recommend me any other set of tips that fits well with the 7550/EX800ST? Assuming I really am experiencing fit issues with the IEM.

I also own an RK-EX1000 Cable which I currently using with the EX800ST and I find it less bass body than the EX800 Cable, but with more accurate presentation, bigger soundstage, and cleaner sound than the EX800 Cable. Also, the harsh treble that I am currently complaining (due to possible fit issue?) is lesser when using the RK-EX1000 Cable.

I thought the EX800St would have the same sig as the CD900ST, which I own as well. But I guess it is not... I don't think I'm going to sell this though since I really don't want to venture to the IEM world, haha. I just bought this as a substitute for my CD900ST during rainy season, I really dont mind its problem with isolation.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

that's common in those are dynamic driver IEMs,after enough burnt in (I mean about 500 hrs or at least 200hrs)this situation will be a lot better though i only own ex310

trust me :wink:

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #263 of 651

Quote:
looking forward  for your review!

I never said I'd write a review, but here's what I wrote back then. You must read BOTH posts, not just the first one.

Quote:

EX1000, MDR-7550/EX800 & EX600 comparisons.

NOTE: I've not had my EX1000s for just over 2 weeks, but I do have my EX600s, which, to me, offer approx 90% of the sound of the EX1000s.

In a nutshell: If I could only have one IEM, custom or otherwise, the MDR-7550 / EX800ST would be it -- I still need to confirm this when I get my EX1000s back next week, but I think my memory at this stage is pretty reliable. The 7550s bridge the gap between my ES3X & EX1000s, ie the 7550s get closer to both. I still need to A/B the 7550s against my ES3Xs, but I know my ES3Xs pretty well, that's why I'm making such a bold statement.

I've stated before that, to me, the mid-range is the most critical frequency and the hardest to get right - the 7550s have the best mids I've heard to date, perhaps only my ES3X can compete there, but not sure they'll actually outdo the 7550's mids, to be perfectly honest. I really like the EX1000's mids, but, for the most part, have always preferred my ES3X's mids. So, will I be selling my EX1000s? Not quite. 

I'm extremely fortunate to be able to afford - at least for the time being - to keep all three (ES3Xs, EX1000s & MDR-7550s). With (not so bright) good recordings, and ALL orchestral music I've heard, the EX1000 remains the best IEM I've heard. The ES3X with some piano and (mostly) solo violin pieces, they do better than the EX1000s. On brighter sounding recordings (not necessarily bad ones), my ES3X also have the edge over the EX1000s. That's why I decided to keep both IEMs - quite different sound sigs, both pretty strong in their own right.

The MDR-7550 is the best of both worlds - at times it won't be as good as my ES3Xs or my EX1000s, but will surpass both if the particular recording in question does not 'belong' to the other two IEMs. The 7550s are possibly the most truly neutral IEMs I've heard, more so than the W4s & EX1000s, or at least they have a more convincing, realistic neutrality. I was really very curious to hear the 7550s and, for the most part, they've delivered the sound I expected them to, but they were even a little better than I expected.

-- The 7550s are more sensitive, ie they're easier to drive than both EX1000 & EX600 - not a big difference but noticeable enough if one pays attention (definitely not subtle)

-- Mids -- FANTASTIC! - I frankly did not expect them to be just this good. Just the right balance and proper real presence, not (overly) forward and/or thick, nor slightly recessed - just bloody PERFECT!!

-- Bass extension on the 7550s is excellent, but I do think the EX1000s have the edge with even slightly better extension & definition. Bass does go deep, though, on the 7550s and there's no mid-bass hump, thank God.

-- Treble is smoother than on both EX1000/EX600, but it's done so right that it's not rolled off or recessed AT ALL. Upper mids/lower treble on the EX1000s & EX600s make them possibly (seem) more revealing, but not necessarily more extended, but definitely better than the W4's high-end (from memory).

-- Soundstage, surprisingly, on the 7550s is not as 'constricted' as I feared. The EX1000s is wider, with more depth, but not by much, or at least to these ears, and that was a VERY pleasant surprise. I have to say that I've often - not always - disagreed on how people seem to hear or describe soundstage - I feel there's plenty of exaggeration. I often hear mentioned things such as 'being in the studio', 'playing on stage with other musicians', 'seating on the front row', '10,20 rows from the stage', 'outdoor/indoor', 'small club', 'arena', 'large concert hall', and so on. Now, much like how I've described one phone being better sounding with certain types of recordings and/or masterings, when it comes to soundstage, I often find it is also dependent on type of recording/mastering. These differences can be quite significant at times - Pink Floyd's The Wall being a good example of such difference; that, and how our brains often tend to create a specific type of soundstage. That said, the EX1000's soundstage is simply unmatched, IMO, but the 7550's isn't all that different/bad - absolutely remarkable for such a neutral, monitor-type of phone.

Other observations:

The MDR-7550 cable is labelled RK-EX800, so I guess that's further proof the MDR-7550 (sold in America & Europe) is indeed the MDR-EX800ST sold in Japan and other Asian countries.

I presonally prefer the longer 63 in (1.6m) cable and the shorter distance [6 in (15cm)] from the Y-split to the housings on the 7550s. However, I prefer the longer ear guides on the EX1000/EX600 cable, the shorter ones on the 7550s are absolutely fine, though.

The 7550 case is much smaller and much more practical than the EX1000/EX600's leather case, but it doesn't protect the IEMs as well as the EX cases. I personally use a 1010 Pelican case for both EX phones.

Fit, comfort & isolation is pretty much the same with all 3 IEMs.

Quote:

Got my EX1000s back today.

After 1.5 hours A/B'ing both phones, I've now definitely decided to keep my EX1000s and put my 7550s up for sale. Most of what I've written in the last few days still stands, but here are a few more observations:

The 10% or so difference I'd perceived between the EX600 & EX1000 seems to have made a difference in my decision to keep the 1000s and sell the 7550s.

While I still find the 7550's mids to be slightly better overall, they are, in fact, a little closer to the EX1000s than I initially thought. I guess that's more to do with how I originally perceived the similarities between the EX600 & EX1000's mids - they are very, very similar, but the EX1000's mids seem to be a wee bit fuller, with ever so slightly more body/robustness (but not forward), something they share with the 7550s. I may still prefer the 7550's mids slightly more forward presentation (but only just), but when looking at the whole frequency range, the EX1000 do have the edge over the 7550s, even if the Ex1000's have that upper mids/lower treble spike, which for the most part has proved to be brilliantly done and quite smooth where other IEMs might get it wrong attempting a similar type of tuning.

The 7550s do have excellent extension at both ends of the spectrum but the EX1000s do seem to extend just a tad more, and this, surprisingly, is a little more noticeable at the lowest end of the spectrum (just a bit more rumble). Perhaps the different type of vents on all three IEMs, the different materials used in the housings and drivers plus different type of filters do play a part, after all. Soundstage on the EX1000 is indeed a little wider, with more depth, but the 7550s soundstage is excellent. I do perceive a very slightly wider SS on the EX1000s over the EX600s, but didn't want to waste time A/B'ing both EX phones (don't really enjoy A/B'ing) as I needed to focus on both higher-end models. 

So, I do think the EX1000 is a better IEM than the 7550s. If I didn't have my ES3X and I could only keep one all-purpose IEM, I'd have to spend a good 5-8 days with both to make up my mind, though I feel I'd still go for the EX1000. In my very initial impressions, where I compared the W4s & EX1000s I spoke of how the EX1000s were a little brighter than I like on some recordings. Fortunately, on the second day with the EX1000 loaner, I tested many more albums and that's when I just had to place my order for the EX1000s. The 7550s are a little more forgiving on such brighter type of recordings, but on good ones the EX1000 are the better IEM. 

While the EX600 is a closer relative of the EX1000 than of the 7550, I'd take the 7550 over the EX600 as the former is an all-round better performer, specially when 'pushed to the limit' - the differences in all 3 bands between the 600s & 7550s isn't quite like the differences between the EX1000 & 7550s - mids, in particular, sound even more appealing on the 7550s than on the EX600s, and I'd probably take the high-end extension too, whereas the low-end at low to mid volumes I'd take the EX600s and the 7550s at louder volume settings.

So, I do think that while the EX1000 may be/seem overpriced, the pricing at least accurately represents, in my view, which IEM is better. That said, the price of the 7550s seems very appropriate - build quality on the 7550s is definitely closer to the EX1000s than it is to the EX600.

I'd still recommend the EX600 to most people as they are clearly the best bang-for-the-buck of the 3 and do better than quite a few other $300-$400 IEMs I've owned. However, I see both 7550s & EX1000s keeping in better shape after years of constant use (and abuse).

I still prefer the length of the 7550 cable (though most people probably wouldn't) along with the much smaller and practical case, but prefer the longer ear-guides of the EX1000/EX600 cables. I also prefer the suppleness, thickness & complete lack of microphonics of the genuine (non American) EX1000 cable, but prefer the strain relief at the plug on the EX600 cable.

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #264 of 651

Quote:
I never said I'd write a review, but here's what I wrote back then. You must read BOTH posts, not just the first one.

In fact,how can I prove that whether my 7550 is fake or not and whether it is made in Japan(Since I live in Hong Kong the product supply is not steady enough [always is out of stock] so I worry that will there appear some fake product on the market.)?Thanks a lot.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #265 of 651
^ It's unlikely there are MDR-7550 (aka EX8000ST) fakes as it's not a popular (read: best-selling) product. You'd likely first get an EX600 fake, but I even doubt there are any of those, at least I haven't heard of any so far. I know there are plenty of Sony IEM fakes, including the older EX700 model.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #266 of 651

Quote:
^ It's unlikely there are MDR-7550 (aka EX8000ST) fakes as it's not a popular (read: best-selling) product. You'd likely first get an EX600 fake, but I even doubt there are any of those, at least I haven't heard of any so far. I know there are plenty of Sony IEM fakes, including the older EX700 model.

Actually the sound of 7550(EX800ST) and EX600 will they differ in huge?
regular_smile .gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #267 of 651
well I have a well burnt in 600. and have have the 7550s, I like them both, and the differences aresemi huge, the 600s with thtere sparkling treble, and the 7550 with there uber nice mids, I find both to have thumping bass, well I also amp the sh!t out of them Voyager/TTVJ>ZOv1, either amp does great with them, the Voyager contour setting works great with the 7550s. as it enhances the mids and the treble when i turn it on, the 600s treble is a little too much using the contour switch, loud and proud as i enjoyably loose my hearing, lol, 
rolleyes.gif

May 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #268 of 651
Just received the 7550 today.  I was delaying the decision on the disposition of the ex1000 until I could compare these two.  My initial impression is that, while the 7550 is very smooth, and the highs definitely do not have the sibilance of the ex1000, the darn mid-bass hump colors the mids and low-highs.  Especially compared with the ex1000.  The 7550 reminds me of slightly darker (dragged down by the mid-bass) version of my Westone 4s.  But this was a great exercise --- they make me appreciate the sizzle of the ex1000 more.  The winner is the ex1000 ....  today.  Let's see how I feel in a few days....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back