Question about first high end IEM's purchase?
Aug 10, 2012 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

E-bony

New Head-Fier
Well currently I am using Bose IE2's that I got for 50cents off an arcade game and about 1 month ago I looked online for some earbuds and came across the Shure SE535 and Westone W4 earbuds. The first thing I noticed was the price and was baffled as to why the cost so much and then looked into them and did research on them and read plenty of reviews saying that they are the best things since sliced bread. Anyways I got hyped and after that pledged to raise enough money for them and buy them when my current earbuds go bad, and well today they did as the cable detached from the right monitor and was dissapointed but also glad as I knew it was time to buy new earbuds. So since I cant find a place near my area where I can try either the Se535 or Westone W4's I was hoping if you guys could tell me whats best for me. I have a budget of 500 and so far the Se535 are looking best for me simply because the detachable  cable and I like that because cables are always the thing that fails me when it comes to earbuds. Also, in comparison between these 2 IEM's, Is there a major diffrence in sound compared to the Bose IE2's? I hope there is because when I first got my Bose I thought they were good but I want to know if these high end IEM's sweep the floor with the Bose IE2?
Genres of music I listen to are: Rock, Techno, Indie Rock, Rap, and well a little of everything. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Try the TF10, which costs $100-$150 but it's currently undervalued. Trust me, it competes well with the top tier IEMs and until this day, I still regard it as the best universal IEM beating the W4 by a hair. The main issue people have with it is its ergonomics and when compared with others the TF10 isn't too comfortable for hours of listening. Other than that, you'll love it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 13
As above, the TF10's are a great start into the high end. For the price of the 535's you could get the TF's and get them reshelled to fit. Best thing is though, to try them before you buy, and see which you like. I went for the 535's purely for cable, as per your reason.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 13
Okay guys. I looked up the triple fi's and at 160 dollars and 3 drivers per monitor sounds great already.I also looked up how much it would cost to get them remolded and is about 120 for the stuff I wanna do which isn't to bad. But I mostly like how I can do all that and still spend less than purchasing the shure se535 or westone w4. I will order them soon and maybe get them remolded within a month of having them since custom molds looks so cool and I defintely want to expiernce it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 13
The TF10 are the best sounding IEMs I've tried so far. Absolutely love the sound, but I am of the ones who can't stand the fitment. However, if they don't fit you well and you have the money to get them reshelled, then you don't have anything to worry about. Hell, they might fit you well without the reshell. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 13
For the past two Christmas' the TF10's been on sale for less than $100 on Amazon. So I'd wait for that. 

Also it is best not to start at the top. Plenty of exceptional choices $100-150, with enough variety of technology, features, and sound signature that will keep you occupied for a long time... 

Although if you are choosing between SE535 and W4, and like removable cables, I'd go for the W4R (removable cable version). Having owned both, I like the Westone 4R much better. IMO Shure's SE425 and SE215 aren't bad, but SE535 wasn't for me. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 13
The TF10's do sound just as good as most of the other 3 driver IEM's like the SE535 so they would be a good choice.

Its funny to me when people call them mid-tier or they compete well with the top-tier models, the TF10 is still a top-tier IEM imo.  When they came out they were $400 and just because they've been around for 5 or 6 years and the price has gone way down doesn't mean they're mid-tier.  To me they're just a very reasonably price top-tier like the Rockit Sounds R-50, when need to classify IEM's on the sound quality not how much they cost.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 13
I don't think theres another triple driver IEM available with more value for money than the TF10 at this point in time, solely because of how lowly priced it has been going for.

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Okay guys. After some research on the UE Triplefi10 and decided to get them. They look great and I hope it was a good investment and that it opens up a new world of sound for me. I also do look forward to getting them reshelled maybe within a month of having them. Thanks guys for telling me about the these IEM's. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 13
Okay guys. After some research on the UE Triplefi10 and decided to get them. They look great and I hope it was a good investment and that it opens up a new world of sound for me. I also do look forward to getting them reshelled maybe within a month of having them. Thanks guys for telling me about the these IEM's. 

Get the Heir Audio 4.Ai they are supposed to be amazing for their price of 400 USD and do impressively.

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 13
For your first higher-end purchase the TF10's are a great choice and yes they're still a high-end IEM imo just at a mid-tier price.  I'm jamming out to some deep/minimal techno on my right now and they sound awesome, the past couple of days its been these and the HF5 I've used the most with the R-50 thrown in for good measure 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back