Q701 impressions thread
Feb 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #5,716 of 9,602
  What about the Schiit Vali + Modi? Do they pair well with the Q701s?

The Vali does, very much so. The Vali is in a setup with a dragonfly 1.2 though, so no clue on the Modi.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #5,717 of 9,602

FiiO E17 and E12 do quite well with the Q701.

They are cheaper than the Lyr, for example, but you get what you pay for.

As for amping the Q701, I currently use the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus with the Schiit Magni. If you want an all-in-one solution, the D1 Plus is really very nice. My only complaint about it is that it's quite loud. If you mod the D1 so you can control the volume of the analog out, it's good with the Schiit Magni, which has much better volume control. I have also used the Qs with the E17 and the E9. I did not like the E9 at all. I found the sound overall to be very unpolished. I think this has something to do with the output impedance.  The E17 is a great little dac/amp, but I wouldn't rely on it to power the Qs. You'll hear music, but they won't sound their best. The quality of your source will also make a difference. I've invested in a bit more 24bit music and I have to say, it sounds fantastic. That extra bit of clarity is really a pleasure through the Qs.

Also, I have no idea if this makes a difference or not, but my Qs are made in Austria, not China.

Mine are also the Austrian ones, fortunately, that I picked up this week during the headphone deal of the year for $130 "like-new" (returned and never opened!). They sound like they are parched for power even though they are already so impressive the way they are. I'd imagine it would make a huge difference if I get the O2/ODAC combo. So, that's what I think I'll do. The only pity is I'll have to wait a few months to get it. But I've decided that I'm going to go the DIY route again with the O2 so I can afford it. Because I can get educational discounts and free samples as an engineering student, this is the best route for me for now.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #5,719 of 9,602

What about the Schiit Vali + Modi? Do they pair well with the Q701s?

The Vali does, very much so. The Vali is in a setup with a dragonfly 1.2 though, so no clue on the Modi.

Have you or others tried using the dragonfly directly (as an amp as well as DAC) to power the Q701s?

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #5,720 of 9,602

Have you or others tried using the dragonfly directly (as an amp as well as DAC) to power the Q701s?

I have not, it never really fit with my setup.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #5,721 of 9,602
Just wow. These sound amazing. There isn't a lack of bass. It's over exaggerated. It's there but won't knock your ears. They also aren't that bright. My V6's and Koss headphones are brighter to my ears. God does classical sound amazing. Instruments sound so real. So clear. You can perfectly pick out where the instruments are coming from.

I am just noticing there are about 4 voices on the track of Get Lucky by Daft Punk
Also I can hear on this other song the two drumsticks hitting the bass drum. It's crazy. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #5,722 of 9,602
  Just wow. These sound amazing. There isn't a lack of bass. It's over exaggerated. It's there but won't knock your ears. They also aren't that bright. My V6's and Koss headphones are brighter to my ears. God does classical sound amazing. Instruments sound so real. So clear. You can perfectly pick out where the intruments are coming from.

Good to hear your Q701 has finally arrived and that you are liking them. Speaking of which, are you still going to get the HD600?

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #5,723 of 9,602

Good to hear your Q701 has finally arrived and that you are liking them. Speaking of which, are you still going to get the HD600?

Not anytime soon. I'm pretty happy with my 558's. Keep in mind I'm a high school student and don't have a job. I owe my parents $100 for the Q701's. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #5,724 of 9,602
  Just wow. These sound amazing. There isn't a lack of bass. It's over exaggerated. It's there but won't knock your ears. They also aren't that bright. My V6's and Koss headphones are brighter to my ears. God does classical sound amazing. Instruments sound so real. So clear. You can perfectly pick out where the instruments are coming from.

I am just noticing there are about 4 voices on the track of Get Lucky by Daft Punk
Also I can hear on this other song the two drumsticks hitting the bass drum. It's crazy. 

I'm trying to find the 4 voices.
I know there's one on the right/center, one in the slightly off in the center/left, one beside the center/left, and one in the far left. None of the singers seem to be in the direct center... I may have damaged my ears after blasting the bass on my M100's though.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #5,725 of 9,602

I'm confused.
confused_face.gif

I'm reading that Q701 have less bass than HD650 but hearing completely otherwise. I'm using ODAC + O2 and for example "Get Lucky" sounds much bigger and bassier on Q701 than the 650. HD650 sounds more congested and thinner to me.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

While I had the HD 650s I experienced the opposite (more common?) sounds.  People say the HD 650s scale well.  I would think your "O" combo would drive them OK.  Strange that the HD 650s would sound thin.  Can you try another amp?

While I had yulong D100 it didn't make my hd650 bassier than o2. So it's not the amp's fault. I must mention my q701 are bass port modded. I didn't think that mod could make my Qs bassier than 650..

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #5,726 of 9,602
What would be some signs that the Q701s aren't getting enough power? I'd like to describe the highs on mine a little... Tinny? Dunno maybe its the recording. I use all 320kbps and flac. Using them plugged into my computer (Xonar DG) to my receiver as I won't be getting a Magni for about a year.

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #5,727 of 9,602
  What would be some signs that the Q701s aren't getting enough power? I'd like to describe the highs on mine a little... Tinny? Dunno maybe its the recording. I use all 320kbps and flac. Using them plugged into my computer (Xonar DG) to my receiver as I won't be getting a Magni for about a year.

There should be a bit more soundstage width and depth than your HD558's, also soundstage should sound full and not strictly 2 layered. When I ran the Q701's amped with the ODAC, the entire headphone was filled with the soundstage. Mids/vocals would be forwarded and encompassed by the instruments instead of on a single platform with the rest of the instruments. The bass is what will be a noticeable difference, it should sound somewhat warm, tight and bass quantity would match your HD558's. Not too lean like the K701's.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #5,729 of 9,602
Featuring extreme measures taken to end the Q701 bump torture, before my pate comes to resemble the Rockies.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #5,730 of 9,602
Well, I was able to get a good deal on a FiiO E17 so I have gone that route instead. I just hope I am not disappointed.
frown.gif

I used to have an E17.
I often used it with my Q701.
You won't be disappointed!
It has more than enough power for the E17.

My Matrix M Stage headphone amp is a better sounding amp, the difference is real, but it is NOT huge.
OTOH, I am are comparing a $150 amp/DAC to a $275 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back