Q701 impressions thread
Feb 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #5,688 of 9,602
  $130 dollars later, my like-new Q 701 from Amazon are here! They are, in fact, the Austrian model and appear to have never even been opened!

Mine haven't even shipped yet! It makes me mad this is the longest time Amazon has taken to ship something for me.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #5,689 of 9,602
So is it safe to say that if I don't like the K702's... I won't like the Q701's?

A couple of years ago I heard a pair of K70x (can't remember which ones) next to my Q701s.
Neither the owner of the K70x nor I could hear much difference between the K and the Q.
We both agreed they were virtually identical.

There seems to have been a design change to the K, apparently old Ks sound different than Qs.
But newer Ks and Qs sound the same.

This has been debated to death BTW.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #5,692 of 9,602
  $130 for a set of new sealed Q701s is probably the deal of the year, congrats and enjoy them!

Even unamped, using these headphones makes me feel like I stole. I have never felt so enthralled and I've tried and owned my fair share of headphones. Music, for a lack of better words, sounds real. Even the bass is a CLEAR step up from the SRH 940. It's filled out, smoother and actually warmer than the SRH 940 bass.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #5,694 of 9,602
For those who want even a lit bit more bass than the "bass port mod", you can simply add some cotton under the black round foam pads behind the "Q" grills. I used some cotton balls my wife bought from CVS, and I only need one ball. I pull it into two halves and spread them to a round disk about the same size as the foam pad and put them under the foam piece. This is with the bass port mod done.

The soundstage seems as wide as unmoded. The bass is, well, beyond what I expected. Not only the bass extension that goes below 25 Hz, but the whole low frequency and lower mids range has changed. They sound a lot warmer now, and the treble is still there. The vocal is still not as prominent as some of my other headphones but sounds much more enjoyable now. The upper mids bump also sounds not as tiring as before. The only trade off is the imaging I'd say, but since the Q's are not good at that from the beginning, it is not that bad and totally ok to my ears. Maybe I'm just a hiden bass head.

It may not be good for some genres for sure, but this is easy to reverse so I do suggest you have a try. It does not make the base boomy at all. Enjoy!

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #5,695 of 9,602
OK, I've listened for a good two hours and I'm thoroughly impressed without a shadow of a doubt. Once I get an amp, I will be on cloud nine squared and rising! Zero complaints. The bass problems are seriously exaggerated. I'm getting plenty of bass and it sounds better than the SRH 940 and DT880 to me the way the ranges line up and bounce out at me. I've heard the K550 and the review site which says they are an improvement to the K 701 must be off their rocker. There is zero comparison in any area, except isolation. That K550 sounds confused and less precise than even the SRH 840 and 940s and ath-m50 I've owned. As for the Q 701, that's in its own league. I wonder why it took me so long to get a Q 701. I've been missing out big time on so much of my music and I didn't even know it.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #5,696 of 9,602
Hi I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive tube headphone amplifier to pair with the Q701s. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have a budget of about $200. Right now I have no headphone amplifier to drive the Q701s and I feel like they could benefit with a warm sounding amp.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #5,697 of 9,602
  Hi I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive tube headphone amplifier to pair with the Q701s. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have a budget of about $200. Right now I have no headphone amplifier to drive the Q701s and I feel like they could benefit with a warm sounding amp.

I've listened to the Q701s exclusively with tube amps.

Both the Bravo Audio V1 and Dared MP5 sound great and really make it sing.  The Bravo is very affordable $50? and the Dared MP5 might be more (don't think it's produced anymore).

At that price range, the Little Dot (1+?) entry level amp is always a good contender.

loves me some tubes.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #5,698 of 9,602

I've listened to the Q701s exclusively with tube amps.

Both the Bravo Audio V1 and Dared MP5 sound great and really make it sing.  The Bravo is very affordable $50? and the Dared MP5 might be more (don't think it's produced anymore).

At that price range, the Little Dot (1+?) entry level amp is always a good contender.

loves me some tubes.

Thanks for the recommendation! I did a little bit of research and do you know the difference between the Bravo Audio V1 and V2? I'm also very interested in the Bravo Audio Ocean.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #5,699 of 9,602
I'm confused.
confused_face.gif

I'm reading that Q701 have less bass than HD650 but hearing completely otherwise. I'm using ODAC + O2 and for example "Get Lucky" sounds much bigger and bassier on Q701 than the 650. HD650 sounds more congested and thinner to me.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #5,700 of 9,602

Try Little Dot 1+ with 6HM5 Yugoslavia tubes they are a good much and if you decide to do tube rolling later you can roll 6Sl7 or 6SN7 with external power supply.The 6HM5 is around $5.00 per tube IMO these tube is far better than any EF91,EF92 & EF95 tubes now the 6SL7 and 6SN7 you need  a diy skill to do it but again IMO it's better than any tubes that i have tried with LD 1 and LD MK III which ever you choose have fun and enjoy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back