Q701 impressions thread
Feb 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #5,597 of 9,602
My take on Modded vs. stock IMO i guess it all  depend on what genre you are listening to example in my case if i'am listening to soul i like the modded but when i'am listening to classical i preferred stock these is just my opinion. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #5,598 of 9,602
  You're right, quite a few people have said they won't change back. I am not saying that people don't like the mod. As I remember from earlier in this thread, quite a few people said something to the effect that you lose a bit of separation, but it's worth it for the bass boost. I don't think the tradeoff is equal. I'd rather have the separation. The separation is, to my ears, almost completely lost after the mod. I'll admit that I'm very picky about bass balance. My preferred sound signature is neutral and the Qs are not neutral after the mod.

I would have to totally disagree with you. IMO after the mod the Q701 is actually MORE neutral. It brings the lower bass up to more neutral levels. Now my Q701 has just as good low bass as my HD-650. I mean it's not some sub-bass monster, but it's now a much better "all rounder". If you want a more analytical sound, then my all means just don't do the mod. Stock q701 is never ever "analytical" though. The K702/K701's I had in the past were.

I also have found that with the mod there is better center image depth. I've found the reason for this, but I won't go there.  Stock, it's a little worse. It's a little confusing at first, since some recordings seem to lack depth in the recording itself for whatever reason. If you find a recording with distant vocals, they're more so like this than before. It's not due to any change in frequency. Just more accurate and you can compare them with many different neutral headphones.  It's almost like the Q701 was always meant to be modded!

My opinion is that people who like the Q701 stock will still like it modded.

It sounds like perhaps you didn't keep the mod installed for long enough. Is it well amped? Maybe different sets of gear can give different results for people.

I've left my mod installed since I tried it and I had been using my stock Q701 for nearly 2 years or more.

Modded Q701 now kind of makes my HD-650 pointless. The HD-650 just has a warmer sound, but is more closed in sound and lacks some detail (but still pretty good).

NOTE: My HD-650 is pretty neutral, some slight "nice" coloration, but has no mid-bass hump or recessed upper mids.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #5,601 of 9,602
  Stock q701 is never ever "analytical" though. The K702/K701's I had in the past were.

Wait a minute...I thought the Q701's, K701's and K702's were the same.
???

Nope, but some people now claim the "newest" K702 are the same as the Q701. I doubt it.

The Q701 was always fuller sounding in the mids and had more bass than the K702.

You can check the first post in this thread for more info. Chicolom also posted a review comparison of a recent K702 vs a Q701 and found differences.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #5,602 of 9,602
One of the drivers on my nearly two year old Made in Austria pair of Q701s had crapped out so I sent them to Harman for repairs. In return, they shipped me a brand new pair that was Made in China.
The whole process took nearly 3 weeks and my initial impressions are that the Made in China pair is overall of lower quality.

The headband is made of different material - a stiffer, harder, and drier one.

The base of earpads and the black circular twist-off caps (the ones with Q logos on them) are of different quality plastic.

Sound-wise, these are a bit thinner sounding but this could very-well just be due to the fact that I have <2 hours of usage with them and the pads haven't softened up and drivers haven't loosened up.

These are still great headphones, but I can see why they are now going for $199 rather than $250-300 like they used to be.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #5,608 of 9,602
Does anybody else here use EQ to make Q701s a tad bit darker? I generally use HE-400 for music and Q701s are my go-tos for gaming & movies, but I'm thinking about making EQ preset for Foobar / Equalizer APO to shave off everything past 6k by good 3-6db with the AKGs. 

If anybody has any input, I'd love to have a look at your EQ settings.
Yes, I've considered getting HD650s, but maybe next year.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #5,609 of 9,602
  Does anybody else here use EQ to make Q701s a tad bit darker? I generally use HE-400 for music and Q701s are my go-tos for gaming & movies, but I'm thinking about making EQ preset for Foobar / Equalizer APO to shave off everything past 6k by good 3-6db with the AKGs. 

If anybody has any input, I'd love to have a look at your EQ settings.
Yes, I've considered getting HD650s, but maybe next year.

Unfortunately, I cannot contribute anything to your questions, but I am interested in how you compare the HE 400s to the Q701s?  Which one do you prefer for music and what types (of music) have you been listening to recently?

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #5,610 of 9,602

Cheers,

I wonder if they'll ship to Canada?

Edit~nope! :frowning2:

The cheapest I can find the Q701 here in Canada is $260.00 with shipping.

I managed to buy a brand new Q701 from a dealer on Amazon.com for $231 USD + shipping to Canada. Total costs were $254 CAD. If I were you I'd rather spend the extra $6 and buy the headphones here instead because the shipping will be faster (Mine took about 2 and a half weeks). But I still managed to save about $50 because the cheapest I could find in Canada at the time was $300 + shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back