Q701 impressions thread
Nov 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #4,652 of 9,602

Just curious, are you saying that the fully open port was too bassy, too loose... but now with foam over (or inside) the port, the sound has improved, and continues to improve?
-> Yes, the bass is great now imo (foam over the port not inside, i will post pics, the tweak takes about 5 minutes...)

How many hours do you have on your Qs?  400+?
-> I would say more than 1000

Regardless, improvement is good!
-> It is! I love my modded Q701 and won't unmod it (or only to test it with the K712 Pro pads)
this headphone is amazing. it is already a legend 
wink.gif

since the BPMod, my other headphones are seriously gathering dust...

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4,653 of 9,602
  The bolded without the "too" word and a touch less forwardness in the mid have been what I've experienced so far with this mod.  The modded bass to my ear has better decay and sounds better and less dry.  Both, to me and my preferences, are out-weighted by the benefits overall.  YMMV of course.

i now find the bass superb
only "problem" is the less forwardness and intimacy of the mids (vocals) but it is NOT a deal-breaker at all, really.
and Tdock could be wright: it could be a consequence of a better imaging and more realistic soundstage?

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #4,654 of 9,602

only "problem" is the less forwardness and intimacy of the mids (vocals) but it is NOT a deal-breaker at all, really.
and Tdock could be wright: it could be a consequence of a better imaging and more realistic soundstage?

i would not answer that question cuz sound stage and imaging are very subjective and heavily depending on who you ask. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4,655 of 9,602
  i would not answer that question cuz sound stage and imaging are very subjective and heavily depending on who you ask. 
biggrin.gif

I would agree that even unmodded the AKG has excellent if not the best soundstaging of the sub $700 headphones I have heard (and also the Grado GS1000/PS1000). Of the two rounder-ups, the HD650, though intimate, sounded restricted and the DT880, though large, a little hallow and too diffuse though both were by and large superior to any other open headphone.

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #4,657 of 9,602
Have anyone actually went back to Unmodded Q701 after Modding their Q701?

P.S. I enjoy more of a neutral sound signature. Will modding the q701 with the (bass-mod) make it artifical and not natural?

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #4,658 of 9,602
  Have anyone actually went back to Unmodded Q701 after Modding their Q701?

P.S. I enjoy more of a neutral sound signature. Will modding the q701 with the (bass-mod) make it artifical and not natural?

I've lived for a while with the two versions: One modded and the other one not. I ended up modding both of them. I suppose it is a matter of preferences. Some people say they are not, but in the end they need a lot of juice to drive them properly therefore the sound is more enjoyable when they are modded and not properly driven, but they are very engaging as well when modded and properly driven.

I don't find them unnatural when modded, in fact, when not modded, they sound pretty "flat" and with lack of life. Unmodded are more for a relaxing and laid back listening session.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4,659 of 9,602
  so far so good with my Q701 but sometimes i wish it sound smooth like my DT880.

That won't happen until you put it on an all tube amp with the right tubes.  Even then, high can still spike with bad recordings.  With HD tracks and well recorded music, it's heaven!  In my honest opinion, quite close to HD800.  What a bargain at $200!

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #4,660 of 9,602

I've lived for a while with the two versions: One modded and the other one not. I ended up modding both of them. I suppose it is a matter of preferences. Some people say they are not, but in the end they need a lot of juice to drive them properly therefore the sound is more enjoyable when they are modded and not properly driven, but they are very engaging as well when modded and properly driven.

I don't find them unnatural when modded, in fact, when not modded, they sound pretty "flat" and with lack of life. Unmodded are more for a relaxing and laid back listening session.

For low imp. HPs, the Q701 takes more juice to drive then the HD800.  I was really surprised.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #4,661 of 9,602
Yeah, in Bozeman. Unfortunately, because MT is such a big place, it'll still be a several hour drive for me as I live in Kalispell. (approx 308mi). But the trip will mainly be to talk to some advisors at the university there, so it'll definately be worth it.  

The university there is great, I took a photography class there and part of me fell in love with that town... Definitely stop by the Pickle Barrel and get some Graham Central Station ice cream (and lunch).

I am in the position of reconsidering the Q701 but only under the condition that, when modded, it sound better than the K712. My observations are that the K712 appears to be the best sub $1000 all-arounder of the dynamic headphones from all accounts and reviews given on Head-Fi lately. I am just looking for confirmation from some of you guys who have one since a store, you know, would not take too kindly to me modding their demo unit. :etysmile:

If the logic follows that I could purchase a Q701, perform the bass mod, and it turn out to sound equal to or better than the K712, then I am all in favor of taking this route. Then, it would be quite easy for me to keep my eye out on eBay for a used Q701 for $150 or so, snatch it up during the best possible moment, and add another good headphone to the stash. Just let me know everything you AKG guys can. Thanks!

I recently bought a K712, but I still switch between it and my Q701. Imaging also seems better to me on the K712, and I like the bump to the mids, but the biggest difference between the Q and KPro for me has been with comfort. So, the Q701 is pretty close to the K712, but not quite as good (closer than a different brand of headphone), and practical things like the headband and coil cable have me reaching for the K712 more often. Personally, it comes down to money... If you can afford it, the K712 is more desirable, if you want to be more frugal, the Q701 is an amazing value and won't disappoint.

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #4,662 of 9,602
Evs, I've said it before, but have you considered picking up a pair of Q701 pads then selling the Q701? Have you even tried the K712 with Q701 pads yet? It takes about 7 seconds to swap pads between them :p

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #4,663 of 9,602
  That won't happen until you put it on an all tube amp with the right tubes.  Even then, high can still spike with bad recordings.  With HD tracks and well recorded music, it's heaven!  In my honest opinion, quite close to HD800.  What a bargain at $200!

yes you are right about using it with tube amp but still in my opinion not as smooth as DT.when Q701 is with LD MK III it sound smooth but lacking in power, with D1 more power but not smooth sounding like LD,with Bravo Ocean powerful but not as smooth like LD now with D1 + LD MK III too boomy even with deferent TUBES and Gain settings with D1 + Bravo Ocean  sound a bit smooth and powerful but  a little harsh(again even with deferent TUBES for Bravo) in my opinion.overal i like it it give the sound that the DT is missing specially now i'm starting to get used to the Q701 sound signature i'm loving it.it's a very good set of can for the price. 

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #4,664 of 9,602
I recently bought a K712, but I still switch between it and my Q701. Imaging also seems better to me on the K712, and I like the bump to the mids, but the biggest difference between the Q and KPro for me has been with comfort. So, the Q701 is pretty close to the K712, but not quite as good (closer than a different brand of headphone), and practical things like the headband and coil cable have me reaching for the K712 more often. Personally, it comes down to money... If you can afford it, the K712 is more desirable, if you want to be more frugal, the Q701 is an amazing value and won't disappoint.

I'm close to buying another AKG.. Up to now I've owned 3 K701's, and a K702. I keep selling them to try different hp's but then I always miss em! 

Anyways, It's the soundstage that I love about them. Also the speed and dryness works really well with certain music types. I also own the HD800's but I prefer the K's with chamber music and I think they excel with ambient/electronica. 

My question to all, is the soundstage much less with the more full bodied K712? Because if it is I'm probably better at sticking to what I know and going back to the original K701's or trying the Q's for a change. From what I've read, the 712's offer more warmth and body but at the expense of width and separation. I can understand some appreciating a more realistic centre image, but I've already got hp's that have that. 

I'm asking in this thread because I don't want a K712 new toy bias :D 

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #4,665 of 9,602
Evs, I've said it before, but have you considered picking up a pair of Q701 pads then selling the Q701? Have you even tried the K712 with Q701 pads yet? It takes about 7 seconds to swap pads between them :p

Uh...
Just keep doing other things. Saw Mad's twitch.tv live stream!
But I'll get around to it.

I'm close to buying another AKG.. Up to now I've owned 3 K701's, and a K702. I keep selling them to try different hp's but then I always miss em! 

Anyways, It's the soundstage that I love about them. Also the speed and dryness works really well with certain music types. I also own the HD800's but I prefer the K's with chamber music and I think they excel with ambient/electronica. 

My question to all, is the soundstage much less with the more full bodied K712? Because if it is I'm probably better at sticking to what I know and going back to the original K701's or trying the Q's for a change. From what I've read, the 712's offer more warmth and body but at the expense of width and separation. I can understand some appreciating a more realistic centre image, but I've already got hp's that have that. 

I'm asking in this thread because I don't want a K712 new toy bias :D 

I'm still playing around with them to answer this very question. So far I don't feel like I'm giving up much width but no loss of depth, so soundstage seems more round than oval, but my soundstage so far has been actually round and great with both AKG while I'm using my tube amp.

Still haven't switched pads, A/B tested, or done any kind of mods. Been enjoying the Q's for a year, k712 for... has it been 2 months already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back