Q701 impressions thread
Nov 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,621 of 9,602
Yeah, in Bozeman. Unfortunately, because MT is such a big place, it'll still be a several hour drive for me as I live in Kalispell. (approx 308mi). But the trip will mainly be to talk to some advisors at the university there, so it'll definately be worth it.  

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #4,622 of 9,602

Sounds soooo sweet on the modded Q701. Interesting recording style with quite a bit of low end rumble, and with what sounds like an actual drum kit, not just triggered drum sounds. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #4,623 of 9,602
I am in the position of reconsidering the Q701 but only under the condition that, when modded, it sound better than the K712. My observations are that the K712 appears to be the best sub $1000 all-arounder of the dynamic headphones from all accounts and reviews given on Head-Fi lately. I am just looking for confirmation from some of you guys who have one since a store, you know, would not take too kindly to me modding their demo unit.
etysmile.gif

If the logic follows that I could purchase a Q701, perform the bass mod, and it turn out to sound equal to or better than the K712, then I am all in favor of taking this route. Then, it would be quite easy for me to keep my eye out on eBay for a used Q701 for $150 or so, snatch it up during the best possible moment, and add another good headphone to the stash. Just let me know everything you AKG guys can. Thanks!

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4,624 of 9,602
  I am in the position of reconsidering the Q701 but only under the condition that, when modded, it sound better than the K712. My observations are that the K712 appears to be the best sub $1000 all-arounder of the dynamic headphones from all accounts and reviews given on Head-Fi lately. I am just looking for confirmation from some of you guys who have one since a store, you know, would not take too kindly to me modding their demo unit.
etysmile.gif

If the logic follows that I could purchase a Q701, perform the bass mod, and it turn out to sound equal to or better than K712, than I am all in favor of taking this route. Then, it would be quite easy for me to keep my eye out on eBay for a used Q701 for $150 or so, snatch it up during the best possible moment, and add another good headphone to the stash. Just let me know everything you AKG guys can. Thanks!

As much as I like my modded Q701,  It's not better than K712.   K712 has a touch more warmth, very tiny bit thicker in mid.  Everything else, I consider them equivalent.  There was a K712 on sales here not long ago for $250.  I was very tempted but controlled myself well.  
biggrin.gif
 If you can find a used pair for a good price then yes, it's an awesome perf/ratio value just like Q701.  Unmodded, Q701 will be a tad behind.  When modded, to my ears and preference, they are similar.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #4,626 of 9,602
  As much as I like my modded Q701,  It's not better than K712.   K712 has a touch more warmth, very tiny bit thicker in mid.  Everything else, I consider them equivalent.  There was a K712 on sales here not long ago for $250.  I was very tempted but controlled myself well.  
biggrin.gif
 If you can find a used pair for a good price then yes, it's an awesome perf/ratio value just like Q701.  Unmodded, Q701 will be a tad behind.  When modded, to my ears and preference, they are similar.

Interesting. Hmm... So, modded, it does not sound necessarily better. On the warmth scale, where would you guys place them, then? In doing so, let's also add the HD600, HD650 and DT880 in the mix as reference points but keep in mind that I am not considering any of those. 

My guess is you would say that on a scale of warmth, it would be (warmest to brightest): HD650, HD600, K712, Q701 (modded), Anniversary edition, Q701, K70x, DT880.

Going from unmodded to modded, what advantages does the Q701 gain that the K712 also has besides impact and warmth? Treble extension and airiness? Midrange transparency and neutrality? Soundstaging and imaging?

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #4,627 of 9,602

Interesting. Hmm... So, modded, it does not sound necessarily better. On the warmth scale, where would you guys place them, then? In doing so, let's also add the HD600, HD650 and DT880 in the mix as reference points but keep in mind that I am not considering any of those. 

My guess is you would say that on a scale of warmth, it would be (warmest to brightest): HD650, HD600, K712, Q701 (modded), Anniversary edition, Q701, K70x, DT880.

Going from unmodded to modded, what advantages does the Q701 gain that the K712 also has besides impact and warmth? Treble extension and airiness? Midrange transparency and neutrality? Soundstaging and imaging?

You misquoted me there.  Modded, Q701 sounds much much better to my ears BUT it won't sound better than K712.  That's what I said.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #4,628 of 9,602
  You misquoted me there.  Modded, Q701 sounds much much better to my ears BUT it won't sound better than K712.  That's what I said.

Whoops. Sorry, I forgot to keep the context clear. I meant to say "better than the K712" in saying better. I am mainly looking for a comparison between those two. Thanks for double clarifying! I still wonder about how the bass port modded Q701 sound in comparison to the other x70x model offerings.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #4,629 of 9,602

Whoops. Sorry, I forgot to keep the context clear. I meant to say "better than the K712" in saying better. I am mainly looking for a comparison between those two. Thanks for double clarifying! I still wonder about how the bass port modded Q701 sound in comparison to the other x70x model offerings.

As I said, watch the classified here.  K712 does pop up for sales sometimes for between 200 to 300.  I'll go with K712 unless you can get the Q701 for much cheaper, then mod it.   You will save even more that route.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #4,630 of 9,602
  As I said, watch the classified here.  K712 does pop up for sales sometimes for between 200 to 300.  I'll go with K712 unless you can get the Q701 for much cheaper, then mod it.   You will save even more that route.

I heard your recommendation to check out the For Sale/For Trade thread here. Thanks again and I really value your opinion! Like I said before, I was thinking more along the lines of picking up a used Q701 and just modding that. I would only do that as long as it is "close enough" to the K712 Pro. From what I can gather, that seems to be your opinion on the matter. I am still just seeing if anyone else could offer some insight. I just asked how these two compare in the larger picture compared to other headphones. Hopefully, a few others can chime in and offer their opinions.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #4,631 of 9,602

I heard your recommendation to check out the For Sale/For Trade thread here. Thanks again and I really value your opinion! Like I said before, I was thinking more along the lines of picking up a used Q701 and just modding that. I would only do that as long as it is "close enough" to the K712 Pro. From what I can gather, that seems to be your opinion on the matter. I am still just seeing if anyone else could offer some insight. I just asked how these two compare in the larger picture compared to other headphones. Hopefully, a few others can chime in and offer their opinions.

More than close enough to my ear in comparison to K712.  In my setup, the modded Q701 even compares well to HD800 though not on the same level.  It's crazily great for $200.  I've been comparing modded Q701 to HD800 for almost 2 weeks exclusively(3, 4 hours a day) to find the reasons why I would spend $1200 on the HD800.  I am lucky enough to be able to borrow my friend's HD800 for this comparison.  If cash is tight, buy a used Q701 and mod it.  I personally would go that route and have some $ left to get a portable amp/DAC such as the Fiio E17 or E12.  They pair great with Q701 for not very much $.  Gluck buddy.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #4,632 of 9,602
  More than close enough to my ear in comparison to K712.  In my setup, the modded Q701 even compares well to HD800 though not on the same level.  It's crazily great for $200.  I've been comparing modded Q701 to HD800 for almost 2 weeks exclusively(3, 4 hours a day) to find the reasons why I would spend $1200 on the HD800.  I am lucky enough to be able to borrow my friend's HD800 for this comparison.  If cash is tight, buy a used Q701 and mod it.  I personally would go that route and have some $ left to get a portable amp/DAC such as the Fiio E17 or E12.  They pair great with Q701 for not very much $.  Gluck buddy.

You are lucky. But I am more lucky to have you to lean on for this valuable information! From my experience, to track down and then reserve just one hour demoing the prestigious HD800 is geographic quagmire, never mind most stores' apprehensiveness to even allow demoing. If the modded Q701 comes that close to approximating the goodness of that dynamic titan, that is wonderful news! I already have a Objective 2 amplifier and a HiFiMeDiy dac at my disposal, so those three together should be a match made in heaven. Thank you!

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #4,633 of 9,602

You are lucky. But I am more lucky to have you to lean on for this valuable information! From my experience, to track down and then reserve just one hour demoing the prestigious HD800 is geographic quagmire, never mind most stores' apprehensiveness to even allow demoing. If the modded Q701 comes that close to approximating the goodness of that dynamic titan, that is wonderful news! I already have a Objective 2 amplifier and a HiFiMeDiy dac at my disposal, so those three together should be a match made in heaven. Thank you!

You can get an used Q701 in a really good condition for around $150. I think it's a really good option to consider. The good thing about the Q is that you can revert the mod whenever you want and keep the sound signature you prefer, while on the K712 adding more bass sounds excessive. On the other hand, the headband on the Q's has to be usually modified as well, as it is not as comfortable as in the K712. Either route you go is gonna be fine.

Now I am testing it with the E18 that I got yesterday and I am pretty impressed with this new product from Fiio. It drives the Q's much better than the E07K  and the sound is a level ahead with respect both the E17 and E07K. Nice purchase.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #4,634 of 9,602
If I remember right I think I paid $240 for my Q701 just over 1 year ago, about a year and 2 weeks to be exact. This is the longest I've ever been content with a single headphone, and even at $240 I still consider it a great bargain. It is especially good after doing the bass mod and modding the headband. I don't mind modding things, I like to tinker. I have no plan on ever selling my Q701, unless I do eventually get an HD800.  

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #4,635 of 9,602
To be honest, I don't know why people gets rid of them but I'm really happy they do. :D I agree they are still a bargain for the current price and I would have saved for that if needed as well. They are very well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back