Q701 impressions thread
Nov 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #4,681 of 9,602

We could talk about FR for ages but, beyond this question, the most important thing is that the mod makes the Q701 much more involving, fun and musical, thus making it a fantastic audiophile all-rounder.
I found the bass a little too loose the first few days, but not anymore (post-mod burn-in? LOL). Plus, I did the foam tweak, which takes 5 minutes and is 100% reversible.

Does the mod make some frequencies sound artificial? Not at all. IMO, it makes the Q701 more balanced and natural sounding.
It slightly changes the presentation though, a tad less intimate and forward (possibly due to a better imaging according to Tdock). But this is NOT a deal breaker.
I'm pretty sure I won't go back to the original Q701 (I would love to have both versions though).
Since it is easily reversible, I say "Just mod it!"
gs1000.gif

I'm kinda jealous that most of the users here are able to maintain this mod. For me, removing the sticker really did balance out the entire chart, but it was fatiguing to listen to. Is there something I can do to maintain this mod but reduce the fatigue?

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #4,682 of 9,602

I'm kinda jealous that most of the users here are able to maintain this mod. For me, removing the sticker really did balance out the entire chart, but it was fatiguing to listen to. Is there something I can do to maintain this mod but reduce the fatigue?

Have you tried foam over or in the port?  There are a few of us who've gone that route.  When I did it (foam over port), I had to try different types of foam (porosity/density, stiffness) before I found the one I like.  It was the perfect middle ground for my ears.  The process can be tedious, as it requires disassembling and reassembling a few times, unless you get lucky on the first attempt.

Anyway, may be worth a try for you.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #4,683 of 9,602

+1

To add to that, if you can do the mod, you can reverse the mod.  It's that easy.  I'd say it's easier to reverse, as those stock round stickers can be tough to remove (but totally doable, if you're careful and patient).  Reversing the mod is as simple as applying an appropriately sized piece of tape and making sure it adheres properly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

re: certain recordings sounding bad on the Q701 vs. other cans, I experienced this recently with Rush's Exit... Stage Left.  It's not a great live recording to begin with, but on the modded Q it was god-awful.  EQ helped only slightly.  Perhaps the mod affected the presentation that much, but I'll never know, as I won't be unmodding 
biggrin.gif
  When I listened to it on my HE-500 (same amp, same tubes, same everything), it was a totally different experience.  Still not a great recording, of course, but at least it was enjoyable, and the sound wasn't all out of whack.  To satisfy my mind, I switched back to the Qs for a studio album: just fine.

(Apologies if I told that tale in this thread the other day.  I know I posted it somewhere, but I'm still waking up 
tongue.gif
 )

As always, YMMV.

Can't compare to HE500 cuz  HE500 makes almost everything sound good.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #4,684 of 9,602

Yes, it might cost you.  A good tube amp is one possible answer that might partially smooth things out a bit.  The other answer is find the trouble frequency range and EQ.
I am not saying your ears are not normal but if you find the modded Q701 to be that out of balance, your ears do response different to sound frequency than quite a few of us here.  In any case, modded Q701 might not be the headphone for you then.  Gluck.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #4,685 of 9,602

Have you tried foam over or in the port?  There are a few of us who've gone that route.  When I did it (foam over port), I had to try different types of foam (porosity/density, stiffness) before I found the one I like.  It was the perfect middle ground for my ears.  The process can be tedious, as it requires disassembling and reassembling a few times, unless you get lucky on the first attempt.

Foam only helps with the high FR.  Unless that's exactly what he's finding to be out of balance and the cause of his fatigue, foam will not be the answer.  I personally did not find/hear any audible increase in the high with the modded Q701.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #4,686 of 9,602

Have you tried foam over or in the port?  There are a few of us who've gone that route.  When I did it (foam over port), I had to try different types of foam (porosity/density, stiffness) before I found the one I like.  It was the perfect middle ground for my ears.

^^^ THIS ^^

Quote:
  The process can be tedious, as it requires disassembling and reassembling a few times, unless you get lucky on the first attempt.

I've never disassembled my Q701.
Everything can be done with a pair of scissors and tweezers, carefully of course.
Just remove the grid cover with a pair of scissors and then use the tweezers to mod or tune your Q701:
- remove the stickers (bass port mod)
- slide little pieces of foam over the open bass port to tune the bass response (foam tweak)
(do what ThurstonX said: try different types of foam: density, size, shape, etc.)

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #4,687 of 9,602
  Can't compare to HE500 cuz  HE500 makes almost everything sound good.  
biggrin.gif

They do, don't they.  Now basically fully jerg-certified-modded, complete with custom red grills (
darthsmile.gif
), I'm really enjoying them.  In fact, I don't think about them anymore, just which tubes sound best with which sources.

BUT, not to get off-topic from the wonderful Q701, I'm also trying to find the right tubes for them.  The Super Cryo'd OTK Reflectors ain't it.  They're a bold, brash tube, and pretty good with the HE-500, but I'm thinking the Qs need something tamer.  Later I'll try them with the 1966 RTC E188CCs.  Those tubes are ridonkulous.  If not them, maybe the bong pipe-worthy (sez Upscale Audio) Matsu****as will do the trick.

Do you have any tubes you especially like with the Q701?  Did you used to have the Lyr?  Well, regardless, let me know.  Also, if you can comment on them (and anyone else, of course!), would you get mid-60s Bugle Boys or mid-60s Orange Globes?  Either would be used primarily with Q701 and Grado SR-225.  I read a comment about how the BBs might be better with Grados, but maybe the Orange Globes would pair well with those two, and work all right with the HE-500, as well.  I'm just guessing based on reading a lot of posts.  Both are the same price.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4,688 of 9,602

I've never disassembled my Q701.
Everything can be done with a pair of scissors and tweezers, carefully of course.

Yeah, but I really like to disassemble stuff!  
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #4,689 of 9,602

Do you have any tubes you especially like with the Q701?  Did you used to have the Lyr?  Well, regardless, let me know.  Also, if you can comment on them (and anyone else, of course!), would you get mid-60s Bugle Boys or mid-60s Orange Globes?  Either would be used primarily with Q701 and Grado SR-225.  I read a comment about how the BBs might be better with Grados, but maybe the Orange Globes would pair well with those two, and work all right with the HE-500, as well.  I'm just guessing based on reading a lot of posts.  Both are the same price.
Cheers 
beerchug.gif

I didn't have a Lyr but so far on my WA22, the modded Q701 like the higher power tubes (TS 7236).  For driver, the more mellow/darker sounding RCA 6s7n GT seem to smooth things out nicely.  I tried some Raytheon gtb but found them a little harsh in the high.  The stock GE 6S7N's are a little dull.  Rectifier is Sophia Princess.  As u probably read about the WA22 having very strong/forward mid.  I found this to be very true especially with the higher pwr tubes.  With HD800, I found the forward/strong mid to be a bit much for my taste at my normal listening volume but for the modded Q701, this worked out perfectly to bring back some of the lost forwardness/focus mid.  The HD800 sounds great with regular pwr tubes and RCA 6s7n GT grey glass(volume at 12 o'clock).  For Q701, I swap in TS 7236 (volume around 10ish or a touch higher)

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #4,690 of 9,602
  I didn't have a Lyr but so far on my WA22, the modded Q701 like the higher power tubes (TS 7236).  For driver, the more mellow/darker sounding RCA 6s7n GT seem to smooth things out nicely.  I tried some Raytheon gtb but found them a little harsh in the high.  The stock GE 6S7N's are a little dull.  Rectifier is Sophia Princess.  As u probably read about the WA22 having very strong/forward mid.  I found this to be very true especially with the higher pwr tubes.  With HD800, I found the forward/strong mid to be a bit much for my taste at my normal listening volume but for the modded Q701, this worked out perfectly to bring back some of the lost forwardness/focus mid.  The HD800 sounds great with regular pwr tubes and RCA 6s7n GT grey glass(volume at 12 o'clock).  For Q701, I swap in TS 7236 (volume around 10ish or a touch higher)

Thanks for the info.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #4,691 of 9,602

I actually have quite the amount of foam lying around, I might just try it out. Thanks for the suggestion =D

Yes, it might cost you.  A good tube amp is one possible answer that might partially smooth things out a bit.  The other answer is find the trouble frequency range and EQ.
I am not saying your ears are not normal but if you find the modded Q701 to be that out of balance, your ears do response different to sound frequency than quite a few of us here.  In any case, modded Q701 might not be the headphone for you then.  Gluck.

Heh, when I graduate from college and get a better job than working at Walmart, I'll go for a good tube amp. I found the dip in the q701's that raised back up after the mod in the 2.5-4khz range to be tiring. I found it to be female vocals that this presence to be fatiguing. Which might be why I can't listen to the ATH-CKM500's over a long period of time. Darn. :frowning2:

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #4,692 of 9,602

Heh, when I graduate from college and get a better job than working at Walmart, I'll go for a good tube amp. I found the dip in the q701's that raised back up after the mod in the 2.5-4khz range to be tiring. I found it to be female vocals that this presence to be fatiguing. Which might be why I can't listen to the ATH-CKM500's over a long period of time. Darn. :frowning2:

how about the shiit vali amp? $120-130

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4,693 of 9,602

Bad mastering?  When I mix and master, a gentle cut in that range is a must.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #4,695 of 9,602
  how does the Q701 with the bassport mod + annie pads sound?  I have a pair of Q701's with annie pads and that increased the bass on them.  Would doing the bassport mod be too much?

I had the Annie pads (flat/non-angled, super comfy memory foam) on the modded Q701 and couldn't stand the sound.  I tried with different sources, but ultimately I sold the pads.  I think if you like the sound from the Qs with the Annie pads, the bass port mod might not hurt, may even help.  As I'm sure you've read, the mod is easily reversed, so why not try it.

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back