Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs
Aug 29, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #16 of 34
I  find that full size have better sound, but that doesn't matter much, as the enjoyment is different.
In term of enjoyment/price I  prefer IEM: better portability, better isolation, and I  don't know if it's true in general, but in my case, better bass.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 34

Well, not true in the case DX1000
basshead.gif
vs. ER4
etysmile.gif

Quote:
I  find that full size have better sound, but that doesn't matter much, as the enjoyment is different.
In term of enjoyment/price I  prefer IEM: better portability, better isolation, and I  don't know if it's true in general, but in my case, better bass.

Sep 10, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #18 of 34
 In general, I would say full-sized win over IEMs. However, sound is to be judged individually, as everybody wants something different. IEMs provide greater isolation, which can lead to better clarity and detail. But due to them being closed, and the drivers being so close to the ear, soundstage can be lost. Full-sized cans have larger soundstages in general (especially open cans) but lack more in the bass department.

I would have to say I prefer open fullsized over IEMs

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #21 of 34
I actually listen to my IEMs more than my headphones, even at home. I don't believe in the notion that headphones provide a better price-to-performance ratio over IEMs anymore as I prefer the sound quality of my RE262s over my m50s and HE300. Although, I may be a little biased since the RE262s are my preferred sound signature, but I believe that its vented design provides a soundstage that beats my m50s and rivals my HE300, a SQ aspect that headphones are supposed to have a major advantage over IEMs. My fullsized headphones do provide a better presentation of the bass and lower frequencies, but doesn't really impact me since I am a midrange head not a basshead.

Now the only visible advantage left for me is that headphones are a lot more durable than IEMs, which can last for years than the typical lifespan of an IEM which is about a year. But when you think about the money invested in the production of headphones, like ear pads, headbands, and cable compared to the modest design of an IEM, I become curious in the actual amount of money spent on the headphone drivers themselves.

However, in the end, it comes down to preference, maybe there are other people like me that enjoy the intimacy that only an IEM can provide.
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 34
I regularly listen to my ER4S at home apart from commuting because it's so scarily good. Amped by my Violectric V200, they can hang with the HD800 when it comes to detail, speed and separation. They just don't have the imaging and soundstage of the HD800, full sized cans just sound "bigger". And the wearing comfort of the Senns is from another dimension than the ER4.

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #23 of 34
IMO if you only intend owning one set of phones you should be considering more than just sound quality.

To try and answer your question though: I get much more enjoyment from my amped K701s than from any IEMS that I've owned. Of course that is not a particularly fair value comparison when the cost of the amp is included, but such is the way of things...

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #24 of 34
A few months ago I would have easily said that full size cans beat out iems.....

Then I received my HJE900s. Now I'm looking for full size cans that can even compare to how amazing and natural these little buggers sound. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #25 of 34

Quote:
A few months ago I would have easily said that full size cans beat out iems.....

Then I received my HJE900s. Now I'm looking for full size cans that can even compare to how amazing and natural these little buggers sound. 

As a longtime HJE900 owner I can assure you that a full size is better, more specially a modded $74 Fostex T50RP. These headphones can get ridiculously good. It just take some patient.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #27 of 34

Quote:
As a longtime HJE900 owner I can assure you that a full size is better, more specially a modded $74 Fostex T50RP. These headphones can get ridiculously good. It just take some patient.

That's awesome to hear. How's the sound sig compared to the HJEs? Do they sound as natura and is the bass as punchyl? Looks like I have some reading up to do on these. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable modding a headphone (no experience with it whatsoever) but I would purchase a modded one if the sound is comparable to the HJE900. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
I don't think there is much debate in em, there is a reason why all major companies are dedicated to full size and the amps for em. for example, at 1k range, ed8 will outperform the jh16 pro for sure. for a cheaper ones, i haven't see any iems perform at the level of HD650. 

this is quite possibly the dumbest statement ever made on this website. 

what happened to head fi...

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
That's awesome to hear. How's the sound sig compared to the HJEs? Do they sound as natura and is the bass as punchyl? Looks like I have some reading up to do on these. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable modding a headphone (no experience with it whatsoever) but I would purchase a modded one if the sound is comparable to the HJE900. 

My questions is what mods were done. Are there links to them? I have no problems modding headphones. Would be a good project for when I have time. Though I've done any mods on headphones per say, I have done work on electronic devices before, so I should be able to do it in theory. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #30 of 34
My shure se215 sound as good as my pioneer se m390 which cost $60. Overall ime full sized sounds better for less but can cost more in terms of source like amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back