Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs
Nov 6, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #31 of 34

Quote:
That's awesome to hear. How's the sound sig compared to the HJEs? Do they sound as natura and is the bass as punchyl? Looks like I have some reading up to do on these. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable modding a headphone (no experience with it whatsoever) but I would purchase a modded one if the sound is comparable to the HJE900. 

When I first saw the huge thread I was somewhat skeptical of some of the claims people were making that it could become top tier headphones for a cheap price. After doing the mods myself I totally believe that it is possible. I followed the Rasapants 2 mod (without the O2 pads) with some tweaks to my liking. To me the modded T50RP sounded a good amount more natural than the HJE900 and does really well with pretty much all the music genre. The bass is impactful and punchy with great extension. The mids are just the right amount. It is not recess or forward. The treble is fantastic. It is airy, very delicate, and detail. Instrument separation and soundstage is also better with modded T50RP than the HJE900. Overall I just feel the T50RP are better than the HJE900 sound-wise and that is without a good DAC or Amp too. I'm sure with a proper setup it will sound even better since it requires a good amount of power after the mods. My experience with headphones is somewhat limited but I feel this is the best sounding headphone that I heard thus far in my short head-fi journey and it will probably end here as far as headphone goes. In fact I love the sound so much that I'm to also going sell my B2s to fund a better nicer amp. What's so great about these headphones is that they could be easily modded to ones preference.

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #32 of 34
My shure se215 sound as good as my pioneer se m390 which cost $60. Overall ime full sized sounds better for less but can cost more in terms of source like amping.
This is actually a really valid point lol. Full sized cans tend to be better in terms of ss and the overall natural sound, but iems would probably be more neutral and analytical too? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #33 of 34
Open full-size cans have more better and wider soundstage - yes but resolution with IEMs are already on par. If you have CIEMs or even the dynamic driver iems like the Sony EX Series (1000, 7550) , you can hear that their presentation is already like a open full-size can, only with better portability and isolation. There are already wide-range of iems out here from analytical to fun-sounding. As much as full-size cans are technically advancing with a wide-range of selection so are portable earphones.

So if you can afford a desktop setup for any of the top tier headphone, setup in an environment which is noise-free, peaceful and can make time to listen to this setup and enjoy them, then open-full sized cans are for you. If you are always on-the-go, who cannot listen to your home without a nabbing wife and little kids to consider, who don't have time to listen at home but have time to listen on travel (bus, airplane, street walking) or even on office, portable soultion like iems are best for you. If I were to choose SQ portability between a portable can and an iem, iem wins a mile. Personally I'm not comfortable to have a headband on my head when travelling. Then it all comes down to personal preferences for SQ and how you use them.

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #34 of 34
hi
I have read all the comments; but I can't find any direct comparison between sr325is and westone4 (except in few posts)
 I already want to buy westone 4 or maybe grado gr10; and I really interested in sr325 too.
is it worth to buy two of these animals (westone4 or gr10 and sr325)? or just buy one IEM.

I will use them with my arrow 4G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back