Purchasing Headphone for Father, need suggestions. Grado HF-2 vs. RS1 vs. AKG 701
Aug 16, 2010 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zensmotorcycle

New Head-Fier

Hey all, 

I was hoping that the collective wisdom of Head-Fi may be able to help me select the "right" headphones for my Father.

Here is the scenario: My Dad is a recovering audiophile. He owns B&W 801 + Krell KSA 80 + Audio Research amp + a digital transport + DA converter (which name escapes me). Unfortunately he has moved into a house where he cannot set up his equipment and is listening to a Bose Soundwave of some sort (I know, ewww!)

The other day, I lent him my Grado 328i and he became extremely excited, having owned a few Grado record needles in the past. Needless to say, he loves them and asked me to procure a set for him.

So, my fathers taste in music is quite different from my own. He strictly enjoys Classical music, primarily Mozart, and a bit of jazz. I think that from my experience, he would probably like the following headphones: Grado HF-2 (I heard them at Can-Jam LA) Grado RS1 or the AKG 701. 

I have a funny feeling that he would prefer the Grados because of his knowledge of the company, but I thought I would throw in the AKGs for variety. Yes he should get out and try them himself, but he won't. Long story, but he is a bit of a curmudgeon.

Audio source would be an ipod with lossless audio files. Probably no amp..... yet. Let me get him hooked on the headphones first.

My budget is $1000 or less. What do you guys think? 

Thanks!
Li

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:

Hey all, 

I was hoping that the collective wisdom of Head-Fi may be able to help me select the "right" headphones for my Father.

Here is the scenario: My Dad is a recovering audiophile. He owns B&W 801 + Krell KSA 80 + Audio Research amp + a digital transport + DA converter (which name escapes me). Unfortunately he has moved into a house where he cannot set up his equipment and is listening to a Bose Soundwave of some sort (I know, ewww!)

The other day, I lent him my Grado 328i and he became extremely excited, having owned a few Grado record needles in the past. Needless to say, he loves them and asked me to procure a set for him.

So, my fathers taste in music is quite different from my own. He strictly enjoys Classical music, primarily Mozart, and a bit of jazz. I think that from my experience, he would probably like the following headphones: Grado HF-2 (I heard them at Can-Jam LA) Grado RS1 or the AKG 701. 

I have a funny feeling that he would prefer the Grados because of his knowledge of the company, but I thought I would throw in the AKGs for variety. Yes he should get out and try them himself, but he won't. Long story, but he is a bit of a curmudgeon.

Audio source would be an ipod with lossless audio files. Probably no amp..... yet. Let me get him hooked on the headphones first.

My budget is $1000 or less. What do you guys think? 

Thanks!
Li

What kind of music does your dad listen to? Just classical and jazz? Any rock? If no amp, I'd skip the K701s....quite boring and uninspiring unless properly amped.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 17
I'm guessing your dad is older than his mid 30s.  Probably in his 50 or 60s?  Keep in mind that older males (mid 30s and older) do tend to have sensitivities to treble, highs, and strident tones.  If that were the case, I wouldn't go the Grado route.  Perhaps he'd enjoy the Senn HD600s or 650s.

Edit: you did say no amp, so the Senns may not be the best suggestion.  But, if your budget is $1000, you can get the Senns and a little amp to go along with them, like the Schiit Asgard.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm just shy of 55 and I love my SR80. More often it's the case that high frequency hearing simply rolls off with age and cans that might irritate younger ears are great for us old farts. (Of course I've had the Grados for over 9 years and loved them all that time.)

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 17
That is certainly very true.  I'm just coming into my mid 30s now, and I can tell I am starting to develop some sensitivity to highs.  I've always been a treble lover, but now those real scorchers that didn't bother me, do bother me.  But you're absolutely right--once you lose some hearing ability, scorchers no longer bother you! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I'm just shy of 55 and I love my SR80. More often it's the case that high frequency hearing simply rolls off with age and cans that might irritate younger ears are great for us old farts. (Of course I've had the Grados for over 9 years and loved them all that time.)

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 17
Well my Dad is in his early 70's. While he doesn't have a golden ear and hear from 20-20kh, without a doubt he has an extremely good sense of tonality. 

He listens to Classical and Jazz exclusively. 

So here is another question. Sounds like the RS1s are the way to go if no amp. What combinations do you guys suggest that are under 1K with an amp?

Li

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 17
I love the RS1 but not for classical. They're the last top-shelf can I'd suggest for classical and jazz, in fact. Their forte is amplified music, rock, fusion, etc. as far as I'm concerned. The problem is: you really need a good amp to get something that conveys what good classical cans offer. If you're hell-bent on Grados, the GS1000 is the only one in the line that I've heard that really excel at classical. And then you'll need just the right amp. Sorry I haven't been much help. The soundstaging characteristics needed for classical music will NOT be a good match with the strengths of the RS1. They have amazing mid-range, great bass and sweet highs. But their soundstage is rather small, comparatively speaking. The K701 is an outstanding classical can but WAY picky as to amplification. Good luck!

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 17
I'll second the HD600 and Asgard (or Valhalla, perhaps, if time allows as it isn't released until mid Sept) suggestion. HD600 in great condition is $200 on for sale forums. New Asgards are $250 and B stock returns are something like $180. $450 all said and done, less than half of your budget. The HD600 are circumaural so they should be much more comfortable for long listening sessions. The sound is more relaxed and suits jazz and classical perfectly.

K701 has potential, but as Carl pointed out, they are picky about amps and I've never heard one that sounded like the synergy was just right.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 17
I would spring for the 701s, iPod dock from ALO, and a millet hybrid amp. Cables of your choice but with the 701s I would stay away from silver. All this can be had for 1000$. I heard a combo just like this at the Atlanta meet and thought it beat many a multiple thousand dollar rigs.

Awesome to do this for your dad by the way!

Best whites and welcome to HeadFi

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #13 of 17
you might (will) have problems driving a pair of AKG 701s out of an ipod, as someone already suggested, buy a amp as well

best of luck!

James

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 17
How about a beyerdynamic dt 880 (32 ohm)? It seems like classical and jazz listener could use a headphone that has a lot of detail and a wide soundstage like the dt 880. Or am I wrong? It's just a guess here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back