PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
Dec 30, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #196 of 630
Just got these - AMAZING phones. However dorky looking, I suppose theres a similar phone with the same sound sig with a more portable friendly/better look? 
beyersmile.png

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #197 of 630
Just got these - AMAZING phones. However dorky looking, I suppose theres a similar phone with the same sound sig with a more portable friendly/better look? :beyersmile:

Not really. You could try the B&W P7. I preferred the sound of the PSB's, but those were close, but with a mid-base hump that bleeds into the mids a bit. However, some like that.

However the P7 do look great.

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #200 of 630
Bump, velour would be preferred; any 40mm that wpuld fit the m4u1?

Try Custom Cables. They have a huge selection of pads and I am sure there are some that would fit. Some of the Sennheiser look like they would.

beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #202 of 630
Try Custom Cables. They have a huge selection of pads and I am sure there are some that would fit. Some of the Sennheiser look like they would.

:beerchug:

I couldnt really find one, what about http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC1440-Replacement-SRH1440-Headphones/dp/B007Q0POM6 or http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MFDX4YO/ref=pd_aw_sbs_1?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1&dpPl=1&dpID=41KF1NCw5XL

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #203 of 630
I just picked up a pair of m4u1's, and I am currently rocking out to them using Fidelia > E17 DAC > Headphones.  Wow.  I am quite impressed.  I didn't now what to expect, but very pleased so far.  I have lots of listening to do, across many genres, then a review.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #204 of 630
The Wire Cutter's favorite $300 over-ear headphones, the PSB M4U1, will be available in an in-ear version in March. This upcoming model PSB M4U4 was spotted at CES 2015 there isn't much detail on them other than price ($300). They could be a contender for a step-up pick, so TWC will be reviewing them as soon as they're ready.

http://media.tas.zeitpress.com/articles/images/P1104058.jpg

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #205 of 630
  The Wire Cutter's favorite $300 over-ear headphones, the PSB M4U1, will be available in an in-ear version in March. This upcoming model PSB M4U4 was spotted at CES 2015 there isn't much detail on them other than price ($300). They could be a contender for a step-up pick, so TWC will be reviewing them as soon as they're ready.

Well, at least the in-ears can't crush your head.  I tried the M4U1, love the sound, horribly uncomfortable.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #206 of 630

OMG! Love at first sight!! I know I will be watching out for these babies to drop!

popcorn.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #207 of 630
I'm very looking forward to trying out the M4U1 with Geek Out 450 DAC, but M4U4 looks so promising & portable.

It'll be highly intriguing to see the comparison of sound quality between two.

L3000.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #208 of 630
Overall, the amount of love for these is pretty scary.
I'm interested, to say the least, but I do have a concern.
I've got a set of Philips Fidelio x2 currently and am kind of wondering if I can get a close-back set of cans with a fairly similar sound presentation. I'm not a basshead, but bass that's solidly "there" and not anemic is a must. HD598 isn't bass-light or anything, but I'd like a little more than that, as a point of comparison. Same goes for treble...a bit more than the x2 or HD598 is ideal.
Really, the only other headphones that are grabbing my attention ire the B and W P7. They're classier and probably more comfy, but some say the bass bloats and the treble is a bit on the difficult-to-hear side. I don't necessarily need tons and tons of detail, but what would be the main differences in sound between the M4U1 and the B and W P7?
I'm only seriously considering a closed can and not sticking with x2 outright because, while I don't need tiny portability and the ability to toss these in a pocket or anything, I'd like a bit more isolation without sacrificing too much. The x2 blocks sound from getting in, but it's not shy about letting sound out; I'd like a closed set of cans that'll give me comparable X2 performance, but which won't leak like mad. Pipe dream, maybe? Let me know. Thanks in advance.
Oh, and one other thing. I'm totally blind, and am not fussed about how it actually looks, so big and clunky and goofy don't bug me; if the sound is good and if it'll fit in a backpack without busting, it's fine. I also don't know how big my ears are, btw, so comfort and fit are things I'm going to have to figure out if I grab a pair.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #209 of 630
  Overall, the amount of love for these is pretty scary.
I'm interested, to say the least, but I do have a concern.
I've got a set of Philips Fidelio x2 currently and am kind of wondering if I can get a close-back set of cans with a fairly similar sound presentation. I'm not a basshead, but bass that's solidly "there" and not anemic is a must. HD598 isn't bass-light or anything, but I'd like a little more than that, as a point of comparison. Same goes for treble...a bit more than the x2 or HD598 is ideal.
Really, the only other headphones that are grabbing my attention ire the B and W P7. They're classier and probably more comfy, but some say the bass bloats and the treble is a bit on the difficult-to-hear side. I don't necessarily need tons and tons of detail, but what would be the main differences in sound between the M4U1 and the B and W P7?
I'm only seriously considering a closed can and not sticking with x2 outright because, while I don't need tiny portability and the ability to toss these in a pocket or anything, I'd like a bit more isolation without sacrificing too much. The x2 blocks sound from getting in, but it's not shy about letting sound out; I'd like a closed set of cans that'll give me comparable X2 performance, but which won't leak like mad. Pipe dream, maybe? Let me know. Thanks in advance.
Oh, and one other thing. I'm totally blind, and am not fussed about how it actually looks, so big and clunky and goofy don't bug me; if the sound is good and if it'll fit in a backpack without busting, it's fine. I also don't know how big my ears are, btw, so comfort and fit are things I'm going to have to figure out if I grab a pair.

While I can't personally comment on the sound of the M4U 1 vs the Fidelio X2, in my travels around the internet more than one reviewer has compared either the Visio HP-50 or the M4U 2 as having a very similar sound signature. I would safely say that if you are looking for a closed backed X2, the M4U 1 would be a great choice.

I can comment on both the HD598 and the B&W P7. The P7 has a very similar sound to the Sennheiser Momentum. I was highly considering the P7 before I got a killer deal on my Momentums. You are correct in saying that the P7 do have bloated bass. I actually found the Momentums have a cleaner bass response (when out of an iPod with Sound Check enabled). You are also correct in saying that the P7 has distance treble. The extension was on par with the Momentums, but I found it to be quieter which I contributed to the ear-pad design; the treble got better if I pressed on the cups. When compared to the M4U 1, both simply fall short. The bass response (quality and quantity) of the M4U 1 extends deeper, hits harder, and has a lot more energy yet has no bloat of bleed and never gets in the way. The treble on the M4U 1 has much much body with greater attack and decay. Mids range has more life giving vocals the definite edge while maintaining instrument transparency.

In regards to the HD598, if you have been following the various threads, you know I absolutely LOVE them. That said, they take a back seat to my M4U 1. Much like the P7, the M4U 1 has equal bass to the HD598 (which is not light nor bloated) but way greater control and energy. The midrange are equal in both but the M4U 1 presents vocals with greater range and accuracy. The treble has more sparkle and attack/decay with a gentler roll-off. The kicker is, and I schiit you not, the M4U 1 has EQUAL soundstage as the HD598 and a more forward, engaging sound with greater instrument separation and transparency (albeit not as much air).

In terms of comfort, I have an average sized head (small build) and I find the M4U 1 incredibly light despite their 340g weight. The weight is evenly distributed across the wide headband and find them to be as comfortable as my HD598. I can easily listen to the M4U 1 for 4+ hours before I need to air them out. The ear cups, while stiff at first, really soften up and I find clamping force to be a non-issue.

beerchug.gif

I just want to add, at MSRP of $300, the M4U 1 are an absolute steal. If you can get them on sale, score!!!!

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #210 of 630
Thank you very much for the details. I do have one question though.
You say that the p7, HD598 and M4U1 have at least comparable bass. The HD598 is not a bass-heavy can; its big brother the HD650 has more bass, and the x2 has just a little more yet. There is a bit of a jump between the 598 and the x2, in other word, and the x2 is still not a basshead's delight. I had thought the p7s were more like the x2, with a bass bump and fairly balanced everything else, while the M4U1 was neutral-ish across the board. Am I wrong, and their bass is similar? Or have I misunderstood what you meant?
Let me put it this way. When I listen to music, I don't need bass full in my face all the time, but I don't want it buried either. In songs like "More Human Than Human", I want to hear that nearly thunderous quality the song possesses down low; when I switch it up to something like "Warehouse" by Dave Matthews, I want to hear the solid pop of the bass kick and the articulation of the bass player, but if they're stomping all over the guitar, vocals and weird fiddle thing, they're probably too forward. The x2 gets awfully close to that fine line sometimes, and from the reviews I read, the P7 would as well, while the M4U1 wouldn't. If the M4u1 can't give good bass detail in this similar range, I may want to go elsewhere. I listen to a lot of rock, alternative, metal, the occasional hip-hop track, and while I'm no basshead (nor treblehead, for that matter) I kinda want my music to have some slam when slam is called for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back