1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by swmtnbiker, Nov 13, 2012.
Tags:
First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last
  1. intlsubband

Looking forward to reading all about this when it happens! :)

2. DooberKnob
    How does the comfort of these compare to the NAD hp50s?
    Also can the ear cups swivel at all?

3. Bansaku
    The M4U 1 has complete 360 degree tilt/swivel, unlike the HP-50 which has up/down only. The HP-50 also puts pressure at the top of my jaw; very never clamping force whereas the M4U 1 sits perfectly flush with an even distribution.

[​IMG]

4. Bansaku
    I have my full and lengthy review up on the main M4U 1 review thread if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

5. Jess70

Nice review. I am glad that I am not the only one floored by these headphones and shocked they don't get more recognition by head-Fi'ers.

My main critique would be that I find the PSB's do bring out flaws in low bitrate and poorly recorded music.

I am do enamored with the PSB headphones that I currently have a pair of PSB Imagine T Tower speakers on order.

6. Bansaku

Thank you! I mainly wrote the review to help spread the word as they are overlooked because; a) no one would think PSB makes headphones and b) speaker manufacturers so often drop the ball when they venture into headphones (is Polk, Klispch, JBL).

In all honesty, as detailed and resolved as they are, the M4U 1 doesn't overkill the flaws in poor recordings. Yes, you can sure hear them but in comparison to others don't distort. I actually find highly compressed music sounds too bright, more so than flawed; Using FHX in Fidelia I increase the bass by .3dB @ 250Hz and it is enough to tame the sound. 

Good for you! That's awesome, an I envy you! My Uncle had a pair of top tiered PSB and I unfortunately turned them down due to no room because I had just bought my Brother's Klispch WF-34 a few months before, and I love my Nuance Baby Grandes (tested at the NRC) too much to replace them.

7. DooberKnob

I think a large part of it as that the PSBs seemed to be overshadowed by the NAD HP 50 form some reason, which are actually quite popular on head fi.

8. Bansaku

I think it is because a) the M4U 1 was released after the M4U 2 and HP-50 and b) the HP-50 has more street-style and thus appeals to the youth of today. It can't be the sound because all 3 are virtually identical, sharing the same drivers (and engineering).

[​IMG]

9. JML
    Actually, I think there are two reasons the M4U-1 receives less attention than it deserves.  One reason is is Tyll's lukewarm opinions, on InnerFidelity, about the M4U-2 and M4U-1, coupled with his more favorable posting about the NAD HP50.  Second is the appearance and overall bulk of the headphones.

Illustrator76 likes this.
  10. Bansaku

Agreed. I love Tyll's reviews, but some times I do find he is biased in the sense that when he finds something he like or dislikes that's the end all be all and that's that. It amuses me how many people can be turned off because of a single person's opinion (or lack there of), or believes something is factual because that one person says so; i.e. Tyll says the HD558 and HD598 share the exact same drivers because he looked and they seem identical, contrary to what Sennheiser says. Just my 2 cents.

The reason I see Head-fi as the only accurate source of info because the members contribute, thus creating a good pool of varied yet honest (for the most part) opinions.

[​IMG]

Planarman likes this.
  11. intlsubband
    I must be the only one that actually prefers the PSB over the NAD on both sound (if ever so slightly) and comfort (more significant difference)...

12. Bansaku

+1 on comfort! The PSBs are phenomenal with their fit; The HP-50 hurt my head. I just wish the demo unit I tried on actually worked when selected, but it's probably best that way because I probably would have walked out with them only to be constantly annoyed with the comfort.

[​IMG]

13. Jess70

I prefer the PSBs sonically as well based on a brief listening session of the NADs.

14. intlsubband

I own both, and had a chance to closely compare them. I just love the PSB, for me they are also much more comfortable and I have them for hours on the head every day, commuting and working.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing/hearing PSB's next over-ears! [​IMG] It will reportedly be of a higher class than the M4U's...

15. Tyll Hertsens Contributor

Huh? When did I say that?

First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last