PS1000 + JMONEY HEADBAND + CABLE MODIFICATION
Mar 11, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 21
Sometimes you can just send in your headphone to the cable maker, if he offers recabling of this headphone. I would trust him more than Grado Labs for putting his own cable to the drivers. But I would trust Grado Labs more to open the headphones.

Quote:
Top 3 suggestions
I like the Double Helix stuff, it's as high purity as it gets, looks great, Peter is a cool dude to talk to, and his turnaround time is pretty dang quick!
Moon is always a smart choice, isn't that expensive if you're just buying raw cable that is terminated at the end. Silver Dragon obviously has a cult following here.
Q Audio, just get them to make you their LCD-2 cable that isn't terminated, I hear that one is one of the better LCD-2 cables.

I didn't know about two of those, their cables look awesome, omg. It's good to know they exist, thanks

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
Sometimes you can just send in your headphone to the cable maker, if he offers recabling of this headphone. I would him more than Grado Labs :-/ :-/.

Quote:

I didn't know about two of those, their cables look awesome, omg. It's good to know they exist, thanks

Now if only it could be possible to weave together a new harness using Stealth Audio
 Meta-Carbon Cables as a base 
smile.gif

At least it would be undeniably the most expensive and insane PS1000 re-cable on the planet. Look they've even
 inscribed what I was already thinking - 'Dream, dream, dream'

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Sometimes you can just send in your headphone to the cable maker, if he offers recabling of this headphone. I would him more than Grado Labs :-/ :-/.

Quote:

Your factory warranty is still valid though after you send it in to Grado so thats kind of important for a $1600 headphone haha... 

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Double Helix cables. I use their stuff personally just for the looks alone. I'm not much of a cable-fi guy, I just like what I see and how it feels.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:
I'm not much of a cable-fi guy, I just like what I see and how it feels.

No matter how much you are contradicting your own business at the moment? :p

I will only recable when the one that was their already is worn out.

I also prefer having a good looking cable than one that is priced too high. Although if I would have the money, I would take my best headphone and have it recabled with a Spore cable. Only my best headphone, if it's one of the best in the world... so maybe in the future.

Also I have MS2i cups with me at the moment, I will buy every parts I need, ask Rhydon from Symphones and Martin at MCA.com to make a great headphone, based off the Magnums. When it'll come time to buy a cable I'll have mad fun :p. I will put all sorts of fireworks like dual colors cable (black or transparent, or white, the more the better), dual color heatshrinks (I can see black and transparent ones), wooden or Viablue Y separator, strain reliefs wherever possible, supernylon, techflex and whatnot, balanced or 3.5 mm with awesome adapters, I'll buy the whole kit.

I'm very interested in your silver cables also! I don't want to spend too much for my first cable, my Magnum won't be that best headphone in the world I was speaking about above. Also I will have a wooden Magnum at one point or another and I'll need a cable for this one too. So either of them I will ask you about it :wink:, and grab a headband at the same time.

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Double Helix cables. I use their stuff personally

Oh, I see a bit better now why you don't own anything past a RS2i. Me I skipped the dedicated headphone amp and DAC parts altogether just to climb the Grado chain more rapidly :p... I'm that determined, lol.

I don't have much food to eat anymore though. Hehe

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I see a bit better now why you don't own anything past a RS2i. Me I skipped the dedicated headphone amp and DAC parts altogether just to climb the Grado chain more rapidly :p... I'm that determined, lol.

I don't have much food to eat anymore though. Hehe

I'm not a huge fan of DAC and amp shopping either, but it really does make a huge difference once you get into other, more demanding headphones.

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 21
Yes it must be so. Actually I do think there is a difference in the sound when using and not using (either my portable MP3 player or my laptop's headphone jack) my ADL GT40, with Grados. More and more I'm appreciating this difference.

GT40 is similar in specs to your Icon HDP but slightly inferior I think, because of the ADC and the phono-equalizer functions it also needs to house in about the same size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back