PS1000 + JMONEY HEADBAND + CABLE MODIFICATION
Aug 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

agoston.berko

100+ Head-Fier
makes it sense to change the original cable for PS1000 to achieve better SQ ? which you prefer ? please help. thanks

is it worth to buy JMoney Headband for PS1000 ? Anybody attached the PS1000 with the dark brown color ? Please post pictures ! Thank you

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 21
If you don't mind denaturing your headphones go ahead!

There are improvements to be made on any Grados by changing the cable. The Jmoney is more padded so it can only improve comfort. I don't see the PS1 as being an exception to these two rules.

(but if I were you I would let the PS1 untouched and unaltered) (but if you do it I will become your fan #1) (recabled PS1 with Jmoney headband would be so hardcore!)

I'm bumping this old thread because I'm surprised no one answered you, and I'm also surprised at the fact you own a Ultrasone Edition 10 and a PS1 (and many more) all at the same time... while being a student.

You must be an elderly "student" with a part time job, life experience, made family, a house, and earned money, to be even worst that me!

I'm a student and I still can't understand how I got to own so many expensive (relatively) headphones.

*EDIT: OH, SORRY, THIS .. thread. I just noticed in the title of the thread this was about the PS 1000. I responded to it being for the PS-1. Very sorry about that. For the PS1000 I definitely recommend you to go ahead. Jmoney headband will look uber sexy and be more comfortable.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 21

Quote:

I'm a student and I still can't understand how I got to own so many expensive (relatively) headphones.

+1 but it goes to both of you. Devouringone3 your just so so...

Grado obsessed.

And agoston your descriptions of head gear is so straight and clear haha!

Regarding to your question, I've got a Beyer headband on my grado and it feels wonderful, might worth a look :)

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 21
Changing the headband on PS1000 is not uncommon. I have seen a few examples.
You can't get JMoney stuff anymore, can you?

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 21
I think that the Jmoney headband making guy is on vacation, or at least that's what I heard through the grapevine of Head-Fi. I've also heard he had stopped making and selling headbands but these claims were never supported by any evidence.

Vacations make sense to me since his website expired and no one knows anything about what's going on, and him either, if he is on vacation?

+1 but it goes to both of you. Devouringone3 your just so so...

Grado obsessed.

And agoston your descriptions of head gear is so straight and clear haha!

Regarding to your question, I've got a Beyer headband on my grado and it feels wonderful, might worth a look :)

Yes, you're very right. I think definitely think it's an obsession, a psychological something... but my thing is really localized for the older, rarer, and more obscure Grados, and the cheapest ones of the bunch (that's why you'll never see me with a PS1 or a vintage RS1... unless I find one on the floor). And I also see an end to it... so I'm not that lost in a maze.

I came here for good cans, and I ended up getting a lot more than that, not only in material but also in knowledge, which also returned getting more material, but in the end I do feel fulfilled about it and feel like I'm doing my quest and going in the right direction.

I have good cans but I'm not done yet. I'm climbing up the Grado ancient line up rapidly because their rarer headphones are slowly gaining value over time also, so I need to get the job done because after it I will have a wife (way of speaking) and a house (more literally, I was joking about the wife) to buy. I know the sound variable is out nowhere to be found in this financial equation but here I come!

I admit do prefer rarer, used but maintained, and COOL looking headphones to good sounding headphones, and I'm ready to get thrown rocks at my face. I found out that, no matter which Grado, you can always tweak the pads and pick the right amplifier (which I haven't done much about yet) to get a sound that is, always different, and always good.

I also think that their drivers are great... but never LCD2, HD800, T1, and TH900 ""great"" (technologically advanced?)... Grados will always remain relatively medium in those terms of raw horsepower. Less horsepower but more soul, all Grados are soulful and different... except maybe for the headphones in the middle of the prestige series continuum, lol, these headphones all look the same. Pick your budget, Pick your prestige, leave the rest to the power users at Head-Fi.

And I'm almost done collecting one headphone for every chapter of the Grado history... and I'm proud of that.

I will finish up my collection with a button less unopened box PS1000 and it will have been a great journey.

Yeah! Agoston.Berko is being forthright about all of his headphones! It's like the extreme opposite of Jude on head-fi TV who always speak like if he was on the fence about everything.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:

Because the sum of all I've spent so far on head-fi for used headphones is still being worth less than the headphone pictured on your avatar when bought brand new (but is getting dangerously getting close to it!).

My next headphone will put me above the Ultrasone Edition 10 price point though :).

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 21

I'm in the process of fabricating a removable leather headband for my PS1000 - similar to the DT770 headband
 with snap buttons.

Not sure about the recable - you'd want to trust the man with the hot solder, especially if that happens
 to be yourself!

The standard cable is not half bad for stock - I'd go balanced twin male 3-pin if I had to go down that path.

Oh and some publications still think the PS1000 is great - 'Absolute Sound' Editor's Choice Awards
 gave the gong to the PS1000 as their headphone of the year in 2011.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 21
You all would be amazed how easy it is to trade everytime your headphone (or other stuff) for a higher MSRP one.
I always just traded and traded.
It's the same like somebody traded a 1 dollar to something higher valued - and finally bought a house from it in the end (real story).
All depends on perfect timing.

Grado is something special.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
You all would be amazed how easy it is to trade everytime your headphone (or other stuff) for a higher MSRP one.
It's the same like somebody traded a 1 dollar to something higher valued - and finally bought a house from it in the end (real story).

Same. I'm a college student who makes under 10k a year and I somehow have a buncha Grados just sitting here.

You can have the PS1000's recabled no problem. The factory recables them for you and you just need to send your PS1000's and the cable you want installed to them or have someone in the United States do it for you.

As for if it makes a difference, I'm not in a position to say whether or not it does.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Oh yeah I would call this daylight robbery.. but when you get rid someone of an headphone they don't like much, or when the trade pleases both parts, then I don't know what to call it anymore.

And I see it quite often in the classifieds forum too, even though these offers, for example my GS1000 for your HD800, never get replies.

Actually I think you're right. And if it wouldn't be for the Edition 10 and the PS1000 you wouldn't have much high priced headphones anymore.

Yeah I've heard that story too! One dollar to one house.

Chris_Himself you buy ingredients to make fish tacos, not Grado headphones. I'm three times worst than you man, I make zero dollar while I'm a student and just look at all the Grados I amassed starting from September 2011.

Still, I think each of them were a great deal when, I concluded it, and, just like you, I think each of them sounds blissful (with the right pads used).

And I do love them all, singularly and equally, but I admit I'm a bit frantic about the HP2 right now :p (H).

Quote:
Same. I'm a college student who makes under 10k a year and I somehow have a buncha Grados just sitting here.

You can have the PS1000's recabled no problem. The factory recables them for you and you just need to send your PS1000's and the cable you want installed to them or have someone in the United States do it for you.

As for if it makes a difference, I'm not in a position to say whether or not it does.

Grado factory? Wow I didn't know this is great, lol. Myself I wouldn't know how to recable a PS1000 or, say, a RS1... not that I have ever recabled anything at all actually, but I would have a lot more trouble for these two, or a RS2, GS1000, etc.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:

Grado factory? Wow I didn't know this is great, lol. Myself I wouldn't know how to recable a PS1000 or, say, a RS1... not that I have ever recabled anything at all actually, but I would have a lot more trouble for these two, or a RS2, GS1000, etc.

Can't say I'd trust anyone outside of headquarters to open up the PS1000 - it would take someone brave, talented and perhaps slightly foolish to do so.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
 Can't say I'd trust anyone outside of headquarters to open up the PS1000 - it would take someone brave, talented and perhaps slightly foolish to do so.

ALEX AT APURESOUND... woops sorry for caps. I had the chance to buy a RS1 only to discover it had been recabled by him. I meticulously compared the wood around the drivers seeking for the scars of his surgery and I could only find a half millimeter thick slice long of one centimeter missing. 

Hehe, yeah it takes some guts. But I thought asking Grado Labs to install a replacement cable other than their own one would be considered impolite on the phone and refused immediately.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

ALEX AT APURESOUND... woops sorry for caps. I had the chance to buy a RS1 only to discover it had been recabled by him. I meticulously compared the wood around the drivers seeking for the scars of his surgery and I could only find a half millimeter thick slice long of one centimeter missing. 

Hehe, yeah it takes some guts. But I thought asking Grado Labs to install a replacement cable other than their own one would be considered impolite on the phone and refused immediately.

The big question is - how much does Johnny G want to perform such a service?

Cost of cable + Johnny G's re-cabling bill = $$$

You'd want to use a very capable cable too ~ I could see the PS1000 going backward if the cable chosen was not top notch, the stock UHLPC 8 wire is pretty good.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
 The big question is - how much does Johnny G want to perform such a service?

Cost of cable + Johnny G's re-cabling bill = $$$

You'd want to use a very capable cable too ~ I could see the PS1000 going backward if the cable chosen was not top notch, the stock UHLPC 8 wire is pretty good.

Yep: Johnny's got employees to pay, building to heat in the winter, machines to consume electricity, materials and parts to buy, and family to feed.

But we still like him :p.

The cost of the cable needs to be fairly high too, I guess it's the only way to tell the best cables from the good ones.

Personally I would pick a cable that look good like a Jena Queen from Lawton audio with a also sleek looking connector.

I just don't like at all the Y splitters of Lawton though.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 21
You guys it's not AS difficult as one would think.

1. Buy your cable of choice.
2. Mail PS1k's and said cable to Grado along with $75 to $100 (varies depending on how nice you are, cookies help)
3. Receive recabled headphones
4. Argue on cable-fi for the rest of your time on Head-Fi
5. SUCCESS!!!

Hope that helps!

Top 3 suggestions
I like the Double Helix stuff, it's as high purity as it gets, looks great, Peter is a cool dude to talk to, and his turnaround time is pretty dang quick!
Moon is always a smart choice, isn't that expensive if you're just buying raw cable that is terminated at the end. Silver Dragon obviously has a cult following here.
Q Audio, just get them to make you their LCD-2 cable that isn't terminated, I hear that one is one of the better LCD-2 cables.

I actually haven't bought fish tacos in a while. #depressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back