PS1000 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #601 of 3,605
well after about a week with PS1000, i think i'm gonna return them if they don't improve by this weekend. they seem to have way too many flaws to be worth keeping.

i don't understand how when i compared them to hd 800 a long time ago, i thought ps1000 where better.

also these have absolutely no warmth anywhere, they're more lean and fast, with that aggressive forwardness, basically identical to the SR325ie, with a more U shaped curve, and more soundstage. basically an SR325is with a slightly tweaked driver and bigger bowls.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #602 of 3,605
well after about a week with PS1000, i think i'm gonna return them if they don't improve by this weekend. they seem to have way too many flaws to be worth keeping.

i don't understand how when i compared them to hd 800 a long time ago, i thought ps1000 where better.

also these have absolutely no warmth anywhere, they're more lean and fast, with that aggressive forwardness, basically identical to the SR325ie, with a more U shaped curve, and more soundstage. basically an SR325is with a slightly tweaked driver and bigger bowls.

That's disappointing. I was waiting for your impressions but what you describe sounds like it isn't even from the same line as the PS500. I would give them until the weekend also, maybe 2 weeks max if you feel they've had enough head time.

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #603 of 3,605
I remember you like them at first and now you may have same mixed impressions now, as I had back then

Hmm, not sure, but I don't believe I found them warm either, non of the Grado's are warm, but rich and very colored and they are very critical to amplification and system they used in. My system is slightly changed since then and I am wonder how would PS1000 do now, but last time I tried GS1000 again, I realize that I am really moved to a differ planet. I still think that Grado have that very magical ability with certain moments that no other headphones I tried can do, but this become not enough for me, so I moved.

Regarding warmth ( again ), older production Grado have that delicacy that I could associate with warmth, even HP1000 can be called that, really, as it never felt that they sound aggressive or shrill, rather than full body, impactful and neutral. Who knows, if I could get my hands on HP1000 again, I may like them a lot, but I had them 3 times in the past and always felt that I was missing something, plus comfort was really an issue for me. Audio is a strange thing...

THX

Quote:

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #604 of 3,605
I like the PS1000 sound better than the HD800 but not the comfort. I'm not crazy about the ergonomics of the Grado.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #605 of 3,605
I like the PS1000 sound better than the HD800 but not the comfort. I'm not crazy about the ergonomics of the Grado.

What did you prefer on the ps1000 and on what setup?
I really want to give them a good chance before i let them go.

And yeah the adjustment rods move cause the cups are heavy, they dont stay in place on mine.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #606 of 3,605
I remember you like them at first and now you may have same mixed impressions now, as I had back then

Hmm, not sure, but I don't believe I found them warm either, non of the Grado's are warm, but rich and very colored and they are very critical to amplification and system they used in. My system is slightly changed since then and I am wonder how would PS1000 do now, but last time I tried GS1000 again, I realize that I am really moved to a differ planet. I still think that Grado have that very magical ability with certain moments that no other headphones I tried can do, but this become not enough for me, so I moved.

Regarding warmth ( again ), older production Grado have that delicacy that I could associate with warmth, even HP1000 can be called that, really, as it never felt that they sound aggressive or shrill, rather than full body, impactful and neutral. Who knows, if I could get my hands on HP1000 again, I may like them a lot, but I had them 3 times in the past and always felt that I was missing something, plus comfort was really an issue for me. Audio is a strange thing...

THX

They used tp have that magical ability, but i get that with all my other headphones now and the ps1000 i feel doesnt have the same performance as my other headphones and no more engagement either

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #607 of 3,605
Quote:
Quote:

What did you prefer on the ps1000 and on what setup?
I really want to give them a good chance before i let them go.

And yeah the adjustment rods move cause the cups are heavy, they dont stay in place on mine.

I really like them out of my WA22, and they sound okay out of my XCANS amp as well. The HD800 I really only liked out of my WA22, it's definitely a great combo but ultimately the dynamics of the PS1K get my foot-a-tappin' more for the music I listen to, which is pretty well-rounded.

If I was exclusively a jazz and classical listener the HD800 might still be around because they are very special for that kind of music. But I really like the bite of electric guitar strings on the Grados, the punchy bass, and I find them to be quite detailed up top when called for. I also like the Grados when I play certain records, they can really liven up a flat vinyl recording. For neutral headphones I still have the HE6 and 009; the HD800 falls behind both of those for me in different ways so it became expendable.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #608 of 3,605
Quote:

I really like them out of my WA22, and they sound okay out of my XCANS amp as well. The HD800 I really only liked out of my WA22, it's definitely a great combo but ultimately the dynamics of the PS1K get my foot-a-tappin' more for the music I listen to, which is pretty well-rounded.

If I was exclusively a jazz and classical listener the HD800 might still be around because they are very special for that kind of music. But I really like the bite of electric guitar strings on the Grados, the punchy bass, and I find them to be quite detailed up top when called for. I also like the Grados when I play certain records, they can really liven up a flat vinyl recording. For neutral headphones I still have the HE6 and 009; the HD800 falls behind both of those for me in different ways so it became expendable.

and what about less than perfect rock recordings, as well as modern stuff, or pop? it seems like the grado doesn't do any of these well, it only seems to like soft rock, acoustic, classic rock, vinyl, and older stuff, and jazz is ok and some vocals, but it doesn't do good with stuff if it has any sort of loudness, compression, or harshness. the HD 800 even seem more forgiving in this way. mostly that aggressive sound as well as the treble being more. it helps bring out details in some stuff, but not as good with others. and when the details do come out, i feel like the mids on the PS1000 are still to recessed at times. 

like i do know what you mean by that livliness and punchyness, but sometimes, seems like guitars can get a little grainy and drums especially can seem a little thin, the sound is almost exactly what a song thats compressed sounds like, and the bass can become too blary in the midbass, like if its distorting, and then the rest of the bass seems dry. however, bass guitars are amazing, they sound more lifelike on ps1000 than anything else, but again, seems that the ps1000 are very limited in what music they sound good on, imo.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #609 of 3,605
hmm they are sounding better today, the grain and treble has to smoothen out though. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #610 of 3,605
To tell you the truth, I haven't listened to them in a while because the WA22 is a hassle to switch between preamp and headamp mode. Woo's mods really require easy rear access to be anything like convenient, and I would hate to misplace the special TRS plug that is removed when in headamp mode although I have been meaning to fashion a leash for it. I have been debating whether or not to just sell my dynamic headphones off and upgrade the speaker/electro amps, or pursue new ones like Abyss or LCD3 at some point. If I do the former I will keep the PS1000, if not I may sell them off along with the LCD2 and just leave the WA22 in pre mode indefinitely. I really have to re-audition all my other tubes both in pre mode with the 009 and in SE mode with the Grados and that's a daunting task right now.
Especially if you think about all of the possible combinations, and I need to throw an upgraded phono cartridge into the mix as well
basshead.gif

As I said I love the sound of the PS1000 with the right music and setup (like almost any other great headphone), and I may still keep them but besides the amp issues I do not like the way the pads feel on my ears, the rods always require re-adjusting, and the cord is too short for me to use them without an extension. So I could keep them around in case thing change with my setup, or pass them on because they collect dust. I am not making any more major moves for a while and will decide this winter when I have more time. I am looking forward to rolling tubes with the PS1000 because as much as I like the way they sound now with the Woo, I have a feeling that they will scale up even more. I've really never wanted to keep a Grado around before because of their sound before so that's a plus on their side for sure.

They are colored but to my preference, kind of like the D2/5/7K the bass sounds like is has it's own "engine" to me
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #611 of 3,605
Quote:
To tell you the truth, I haven't listened to them in a while because the WA22 is a hassle to switch between preamp and headamp mode. Woo's mods really require easy rear access to be anything like convenient, and I would hate to misplace the special TRS plug that is removed when in headamp mode although I have been meaning to fashion a leash for it. I have been debating whether or not to just sell my dynamic headphones off and upgrade the speaker/electro amps, or pursue new ones like Abyss or LCD3 at some point. If I do the former I will keep the PS1000, if not I may sell them off along with the LCD2 and just leave the WA22 in pre mode indefinitely. I really have to re-audition all my other tubes both in pre mode with the 009 and in SE mode with the Grados and that's a daunting task right now.
Especially if you think about all of the possible combinations, and I need to throw an upgraded phono cartridge into the mix as well
basshead.gif

As I said I love the sound of the PS1000 with the right music and setup (like almost any other great headphone), and I may still keep them but besides the amp issues I do not like the way the pads feel on my ears, the rods always require re-adjusting, and the cord is too short for me to use them without an extension. So I could keep them around in case thing change with my setup, or pass them on because they collect dust. I am not making any more major moves for a while and will decide this winter when I have more time. I am looking forward to rolling tubes with the PS1000 because as much as I like the way they sound now with the Woo, I have a feeling that they will scale up even more. I've really never wanted to keep a Grado around before because of their sound before so that's a plus on their side for sure.

They are colored but to my preference, kind of like the D2/5/7K the bass sounds like is has it's own "engine" to me
tongue_smile.gif

ah, interesting. 

i have issues with the pads, rods, and cord as well. the cord absolutely needs the 15 foot grado extension, and the rods i have to find something to hold them, or else i'll just do what i was doing, wrapping a rubber band around them. the pads aren't too bad, but definitely not the last word in comfort.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #612 of 3,605
I've had mine for a few months now and I too was underwhelmed at first. I definitely like them more now that I've broken them in a bit. The soundstage is absolutely fantastic on these things. My two complaints are #1, the cups fall down ALL the time and #2 I think the bass is too thin. Otherwise, I really love them.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #613 of 3,605
Quote:
I've had mine for a few months now and I too was underwhelmed at first. I definitely like them more now that I've broken them in a bit. The soundstage is absolutely fantastic on these things. My two complaints are #1, the cups fall down ALL the time and #2 I think the bass is too thin. Otherwise, I really love them.

That's always drove me nuts about Grados, but once I replaced the rodblocks and gimbals with some Martin Custom Audio ones, the problem was solved. They aren't cheap, but they look really nice and the functionality is worth the extra bucks, IMO. I have them on my GS1ks. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #614 of 3,605
I find it sad when i read stories about people who are disapointed with their headphones, or anything else for that matter. I'm Lucky enough to have a great dealer who let's me take home any headphones i want, so that i can listen to them on my own sound system.

I'm happy to report that i still love my PS1000, in fact i love them even more now that i have hooked them up to the overachieving Little Dot 1+, wich has taken them to a whole new level, and has therefore taken the place of my old X-Can V2, in my main system.

It's common knowledge that Grados don't need a dedicated amp to sound good, but i think that they can definately sound better with one, especially the higher end models, although i did notice an improvement with my SR80i as well.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #615 of 3,605
I find it sad when i read stories about people who are disapointed with their headphones, or anything else for that matter. I'm Lucky enough to have a great dealer who let's me take home any headphones i want, so that i can listen to them on my own sound system.

I'm happy to report that i still love my PS1000, in fact i love them even more now that i have hooked them up to the overachieving Little Dot 1+, wich has taken them to a whole new level, and has therefore taken the place of my old X-Can V2, in my main system.

It's common knowledge that Grados don't need a dedicated amp to sound good, but i think that they can definately sound better with one, especially the higher end models, although i did notice an improvement with my SR80i as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back