PS1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #76 of 3,605
Wonderful, rich and full middle on the PS1K...I was surprised and delighted. I have owned the HD800 (2 of those), T1 and Audez'e, while the Audez'e is sounding superior to all listed prior (including the PS1K), the comfort was such I had to let the LCD-2 go. It's the middle and low treble integration that I find superior on the Grado, superior at least to both of those other dynamics, the 800 and T1. Using the PWT/PWD (modded) and Peak/Volcano it's quite good overall. AND, very comfortable...even with my large head.

The bass frequencies are are slightly prominent on the PS1K, and not a match for the Audez'e, who is clearly (and proudly) superior (with appropriate amp). I wish the build of the Grado was more substantial...I don't think it can outlast my antique HP-2's.  

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #77 of 3,605

Quote:
As promised, here are some pics. The finish looks nice and smooth with a passing glance, but on close inspection it does suffer from the typical Grado quality problems. There are minor scratches all over the surface, which you can see on the pic with the flash. They're really hard to see unless you have high lighting and move your head to get different angles, so I don't mind too much. And, oddly enough, the biggest scratch and very very tiny dent were on the side, the only part that came covered with a wide rubber band to prevent just that! And, another very minor gripe, but the stitching on the headband was coming apart when I got them, as shown in the last picture. Alright, enough ranting, the sound is enchanting, and that's what matters most!

Without further ado, here are the pictures:

WOW...beautiful finger print magnets...wiping the grime off will leave marks! Quite pretty though...nice catch Man!!

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #78 of 3,605
Wow... I'm surprised by the stitching on the headband.  How did that make it out of the factory?  I can understand minor scratches on the cups, but replacing a defective headband before letting it leave the factory?  The cost to do that should be trivial, especially for a headphone that they're selling for $1700!!!

I would've returned them as soon as I saw that...

But I'm glad you're enjoying your PS1000; they look absolutely gorgeous otherwise.  My only experience with Grado is their SR60 and I loved it, so I can only imagine what their higher end models are like.  In fact, I'm looking into purchasing an RS1i sometime in the near future because I miss that Grado sound so much.

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #80 of 3,605

Quote:

Thanks for posting. I'm surprised that Grado just switched the aluminum without any kind of advanced warning (unless I missed this?), but the bling is growing on me!

No problem! I was initially kind of upset about the finish because I was concerned about the excessive scratches, fingerprints etc., but pcf posted the info about the renaissance wax so that put my mind at ease and the finish keeps on growing on me. I think they had some problems with something on the manufacturing line for the past month or two, which is why it took so long for me to get these. I'm now thinking it was something with the cups, and they had to switch suppliers?

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #81 of 3,605
Whoa - nice bling!

I would have preferred that Grado beefed up the rods, gimbals, and headband instead. The 0.5kg aluminum cups are just too heavy for what was designed for little plastic cups in the first place.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #83 of 3,605

@achristilaw: What tube(s) are you running on the Peak with PS1000? Just curious - the Shuguang Treasure I'm running is great in many respects, but they are a tad light on the bass and very extended on the treble. Maybe I need to burn in the tube at least a few hundred more hours.

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #84 of 3,605

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for posting. I'm surprised that Grado just switched the aluminum without any kind of advanced warning (unless I missed this?), but the bling is growing on me!

No problem! I was initially kind of upset about the finish because I was concerned about the excessive scratches, fingerprints etc., but pcf posted the info about the renaissance wax so that put my mind at ease and the finish keeps on growing on me. I think they had some problems with something on the manufacturing line for the past month or two, which is why it took so long for me to get these. I'm now thinking it was something with the cups, and they had to switch suppliers?

[size=x-small]Another thought about the chrome finish- it will need more maintenance than the brushed aluminum. You have to polish them to keep the shine. I have some chrome finished amps that I polish with brasso from time to time. You can either use that or probably find some chrome wax that is cheaper. Come to think of it, if you really want to seal the cups and protect them from scratches, Renaissance wax will do a very good job. On the other hand, it might make the surface a little dull compared to other metal polish like turtle wax or brasso- something to bear in mind.[/size]

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #85 of 3,605

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

[size=x-small]Another thought about the chrome finish- it will need more maintenance than the brushed aluminum. You have to polish them to keep the shine. I have some chrome finished amps that I polish with brasso from time to time. You can either use that or probably find some chrome wax that is cheaper. Come to think of it, if you really want to seal the cups and protect them from scratches, Renaissance wax will do a very good job. On the other hand, it might make the surface a little dull compared to other metal polish like turtle wax or brasso- something to bare in mind.[/size]

Right, that makes sense. I think I will go ahead and order the Renaissance wax. I'm not all too concerned about the bright sheen and moreso about protection and resistance to scratches/fingerprints. Just how much does the Renaissance wax dull the finish? From what I've read it doesn't haze very much if you buff it after you apply it (and do two or three lighter coats as opposed to a thicker coat). I think museums use that stuff all the time, so I don't think it'll dull it to a complete haze, and I'm perfectly fine for the finish to be slightly duller if it means better protection.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #86 of 3,605
Amen. I've been listening to the RS1i lately for comparison purposes, and they are so much lighter and more natural-fitting.

Quote:
I would have preferred that Grado beefed up the rods, gimbals, and headband instead. The 0.5kg aluminum cups are just too heavy for what was designed for little plastic cups in the first place.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #87 of 3,605

Quote:
Amen. I've been listening to the RS1i lately for comparison purposes, and they are so much lighter and more natural-fitting.

Quote:

Surprisingly, I don't find the PS1000 to be uncomfortable at all. Of course my Senns and Denons are more comfortable, but I don't find the PS1000 to be annoying. I think they're actually better than my old 325is, and my current modded 325 with jumbo pads etc. I kind of like the heavy feel to them when you put them on your head... it just makes it feel durable to have a huge block of solid aluminum sitting on either ear, but I can see how it might be uncomfortable to some. My gimbals and rods feel a lot stiffer than any other Grados I've used, but that could very well be because they're new. I do wish they put some sort of screw mechanism on the rods so they would lock into place though. I can see them getting much looser with use.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #88 of 3,605
Okay, but just for the record, I don't find them uncomfortable either, just slightly awkward fitting, and mismatched between cups and support assembly.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Surprisingly, I don't find the PS1000 to be uncomfortable at all. Of course my Senns and Denons are more comfortable, but I don't find the PS1000 to be annoying. I think they're actually better than my old 325is, and my current modded 325 with jumbo pads etc. I kind of like the heavy feel to them when you put them on your head... it just makes it feel durable to have a huge block of solid aluminum sitting on either ear, but I can see how it might be uncomfortable to some. My gimbals and rods feel a lot stiffer than any other Grados I've used, but that could very well be because they're new. I do wish they put some sort of screw mechanism on the rods so they would lock into place though. I can see them getting much looser with use.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #89 of 3,605

Quote:

@achristilaw: What tube(s) are you running on the Peak with PS1000? Just curious - the Shuguang Treasure I'm running is great in many respects, but they are a tad light on the bass and very extended on the treble. Maybe I need to burn in the tube at least a few hundred more hours.

Their is many, many I have tried. I like the Shuguang...but I have found better. The Sylvania CHS-6SN7W (VT-231) is a gold metal based god-send. My favorite to this point!

You need a couple hundred hrs. on the Shuguang before it can reveal it's true light. The best, most balanced and fully fleshed tonality is offered by the Sylvania however...and a bonus is the better, more uniform control of the bottom bump that the Grado is endowed with.

Another wonderful match with the PS1K is the Mullard ECC32...very expensive however. The Tung-Sol "Black-Glass" VT-231 works well with the top Grado...just not my favorite. I like the 6H8C (Russian) with the HP-2....it's strong foundation really rounds out that phones performance. The Shuguang needs time..it is a nice offering.....and is much cheaper compared to the other elite offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back