Producing/Mixing Headphones
Jul 28, 2010 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

glebo2007

New Head-Fier
Hi,

[size=small]I'm looking for a headphone to use as an alternative to my monitors to analise and do some mixing. My budget is around $350. [/size]

[size=small]Do you have any suggestions for a good set of cans?[/size]

Thank you.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 17
It depends if you want open, closed or semi-open can... High or low impedance...

I've been in the same situation two weeks ago.

I recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M40FS because of the extremely analytical these headphones can be. Closed can with low impedance.

If you want something less analytical... Shure SRH840.

Recently I've bought a pair of Fostex T50RP and they're great for revising the mixes. They are low impedance and semi-open, but if you want to squeeze them, you will need an amp, because they require huge amounts of current energy.

You can have the three pairs of headphones for less of your budget and remains something for a little amp.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 17

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Akg's are good for monitoring...
AKG K701 or AKG K271

both are also good choice.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions, I think I go with the Beyer DT880 pro

Just curious... How did you come to that decision? None in this thread recommended it.

shane

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
yes thanks, will look in to it.

Nobody replied before!! is this guy talking to himself? 
confused.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 17
Anything with an extremely flat response it good for monitoring. Therefore no Grados or Sens, as they tend to have sound sigs.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 17
Jul 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm not very experienced with a lot of different headphones but i would recommed something like k701 - when you what mixing/producing you need to go for phones that doesn't "amplify" the sounds. Let's say some phones are great for bass, and if you produce a tune with such phones then when you play it through a different phone or speakers you'll find that the bass sounds really lame and not the way you intented it to be. Trust me, i have tried it. Soo what you'll need is a phone with flat response rather that good sound signature.

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I'm not very experienced with a lot of different headphones but i would recommed something like k701 - when you what mixing/producing you need to go for phones that doesn't "amplify" the sounds. Let's say some phones are great for bass, and if you produce a tune with such phones then when you play it through a different phone or speakers you'll find that the bass sounds really lame and not the way you intented it to be. Trust me, i have tried it. Soo what you'll need is a phone with flat response rather that good sound signature.

"flat response" IS a good sound signature if the music was produced well.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back