Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Nov 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #301 of 446
Big thanks, tripbitshooter!

Funny that you should call that hollow, hollow to me is excessive cup resonances, early treble roll-off leaves things dark, and to an extent, less distinct which can also be interpreted as reduced detail and clarity by others.  Would you agree?

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #302 of 446
I was surprised too. Details were there, but it still sounded hollow, unlike other darker headphones I have heard.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #304 of 446
Big thanks, tripbitshooter!

Funny that you should call that hollow, hollow to me is excessive cup resonances, early treble roll-off leaves things dark, and to an extent, less distinct which can also be interpreted as reduced detail and clarity by others.  Would you agree?

I found the M40x which I was testing alongside, to have a more engaging sound with a brighter tonality, and also a more lively and detailed bass response. The M50x I bought was even better.

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #306 of 446
I found the M40x which I was testing alongside, to have a more engaging sound with a brighter tonality, and also a more lively and detailed bass response. The M50x I bought was even better.

That sucks even more.  =\
I suppose that I'll be finding out once it's my turn in the Urbanite tour.

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #307 of 446
I've got my hands on the on-ear version that's going around now, so far I have great things to say about the full, detailed, deep bass, clear and present vocals, though the lower treble/upper mids are a bit too sucked out by maybe 5db. It takes away from vocals being engaging, and snares don't have the best sharp crack to them. I'll post more later as they compare to X1's, XPT100's, Q701's, and LCD-2's. So far, I can say they are a great value, the build quality is to rave about, and I think they're a perfect Solo 2 competitor by not being so thick (I tried them at a store for 5-10 minutes... despite the crappy songs and source I could tell they had a nice black background and a thicker club sound), yet still having a signature that can appeal to a younger crowd. I also think I'm hearing some bass distortion... hmm. I'll be testing these more. The subbass is certainly the loudest of any of these cans (yes, even over X1's for the deepest notes).

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #308 of 446
I've got my hands on the on-ear version that's going around now, so far I have great things to say about the full, detailed, deep bass, clear and present vocals, though the lower treble/upper mids are a bit too sucked out by maybe 5db. It takes away from vocals being engaging, and snares don't have the best sharp crack to them. I'll post more later as they compare to X1's, XPT100's, Q701's, and LCD-2's. So far, I can say they are a great value, the build quality is to rave about, and I think they're a perfect Solo 2 competitor by not being so thick (I tried them at a store for 5-10 minutes... despite the crappy songs and source I could tell they had a nice black background and a thicker club sound), yet still having a signature that can appeal to a younger crowd. I also think I'm hearing some bass distortion... hmm. I'll be testing these more. The subbass is certainly the loudest of any of these cans (yes, even over X1's for the deepest notes).

I tried the XL at a local store where u sit at booths and attendants give u the headphones u want to test. And u can test many headphones at once! So based on a side by side comparison the XL definitely lost to the M50x I bought that day in terms of treble (snares on the m50x had greater impact), bass detail and impact and also vocal engagement.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #309 of 446
Auditioned the XL yesterday. 
As a Veteran Momentum user, I gotta say I really liked these.
My ears fit comfortably inside the earcups and I was pleasantly surprised to hear a very familiar warm/lush sound.
It was basically the same signature as the Momentum with a 'phatter' sub bass presence. 

If you didn't like the Momentum, jog on! 
If you loved the Momentum but need more sub-bass for EDM, I think these are absolutely worth a listen. 
If I had more money than sense I would get a pair. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #310 of 446
Warm? Lush? I'm not too sure about that but I preferred the MDR-1RMK2's sound compared to the XL. The XL sounded more dulled to me. Also, I remember the momentum to sound brighter and more balanced than the XL. And the comfort is not really good to me due to the clamping force, and the fact that the M50x pads are way softer.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #311 of 446
Sure, momentums over ear>>>xl.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #312 of 446
Sweet! I've been in contact with Sennheiser, we are going to work together to do an Australian Head-Fi tour of the Urbanite headphones.

Australians, keep your eyes peeled! If you are interested in reviewing these headphones, I'll keep you in the loop.

Tour thread to come tonight. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #313 of 446
Reviewers wanted, for the Official Sennheiser URBANITE Australian review tour!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742100/official-sennheiser-urbanite-australian-review-tour-reviewers-wanted-apply-within

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #314 of 446
I got these as part of a private tour, and have finally rounded up my thoughts. I lost some track specific notes, but this should do nicely. Enjoy! And goodbye, Urbanites! I'll link this to another review thread I have going.

Sennheiser Urbanite

Comfort and Ergonomics: A. This headband material is incredible – a silicone bubble of air over a steel headband means fitting comfort that’s easy to clean, and great durability. I can’t stop touching it. The denim looks stunning and classy! The pads are the best I’ve felt besides the Audeze vegan pads – which only win because they are plusher. I might even prefer the texture of the Urbanites! I can wear these longer than most, which is a strange thing to say for on-ears. All the silicone feels great – the cable is of very high quality and matches the silicone used in the side black supports that carry the signal from left to right. I’m a big fan of locking mechanisms – it’s a shame more people don’t use this standard. Same with 45 degree angled plugs – this is a 90. If there aren’t patents covering the locking mechanism – more companies should use this instead of a standard 3.5mm and then they could also get into the cable business. The remote works for the mic, and kinda works for pause/play/skip. Volume control doesn’t work. My only gripe is that the headband doesn’t grapple onto more of the head, because it has to arc out  to hold the cups. So I’m not really sure how fixed that can get, though I need to try the V-Moda XS before I comment too much :).

Bass: B. Deep, full subbass that can shake your head. Listening to Illegal Bass was so much fun! You could actually feel the housing move on your head if you put your hand to it. Good thing the stiff chassis can handle it – these things can push out some air on bass heavy tracks! Mild distortion occurs, but it can still go lower and louder than most others, so you really never notice. I could only notice in comparison to my LCD-2.2F’s. The kick is not punchy – which is my biggest gripe about these cans, and is what caps the rating at a ‘B’. There’s no obvious hump, though the subbass gets through to my head better than any other can – kinda how I remembered the pre-Fazor LCD-2.2’s (memory ain't perfect... and you never talk down your first love
tongue.gif
). The bass gets out of the way when it needs to – it can sound nearly anemic on some tracks with no subbass due to the lack of punch. I find that those kinds of songs are intentionally mixed without bass kick, so I think it’s actually a really neat thing at the end of the day. Very verstatile, despite being aimed at a Beats crowd. ... I think the slightly warm sounding midbass gives this mental impression as well. I’ve never heard a Sennheiser without warm midbass – and this one has it, despite not having the hump usually attributed to this warmth.  There’s mild perceived bloat due to the lack of punch, but still pretty good texture, and I don’t feel they ever lose control like X1’s do, and even HE-400’s due to the excess punch. Subbass suffers the most in that regard. I’m used to planars though, so I’m spoiled.

Mids: B+. Vocals are very clear, and things in the upper mids have fantastic tonality (strange, because of the dip I’ll mention). Trumpets, and some brighter, smooth guitar sounds are among the best I’ve heard from a can in this range. Even some acoustic music, like pianos, can hold up well, which I wouldn’t’ve expected from a modernly-tuned can. Anything else suffers from a mild lack on energy due to the dip at 2-5+kHz (meant to help with low quality files – of which I purged from my library long ago J). This also sucks out from snare drums a bit too much on some tracks, making metal snares sound wood, and wood ones sound a tad flat. Brushes can lack some grit that I now feel comes from this range. Thankfully, these cans are great at displaying room queues. Portishead’s classic, Roads, lacks vocal energy, but you can hear every nuance of Beth’s voice in the room. I hear more clarity and detail and tonality in these than I do in Phillips X1’s, which many say have great mids. I find them veiled, boring, and cloudy, on a nice day. With some EQ, you can spring some life into these cans by lifting the 2k mark 6 dB or so, up to 5k+ or so.

Treble: B-. Due to the low treble recession, cymbals lack some cut, as this range is where a lot of cymbals’ attack comes from initially. Extension is great, and upper treble holds on very well. On some tracks, these cans almost feel slightly V-shaped, after brain burn in. Treble sounds similar to the XPT100’s for quality and speed. Some smaller details in dance tracks like shakers or trangles or whatnot can be a bit too far back in the image.

Soundstage/Imaging: C. Very much an in-your-head soundstage – as most on-ears sound, being closed of course too. Imaging was okay enough for some competitive CS:GO, but I kinda had to stretch my brain out to put all the cues together to really pinpoint footsteps and shots in the already cramped stage. I personally don’t mind a cramped stage – the non-Fazor LCD-2 had the best, most natural soundstage I’ve ever heard, and most music I listen to is a private, intimate experience… but I think most would find these cramped, and there are times when I wish the sound could open up more. For modern music, I think these are the least of worries, especially in a portable setting, where you’re isolated and, if you’re anything like me, lost in your own world.

Strengths: Full bass, clear mids, probably the best build quality/design of any can I’ve ever held. Portable, fun, and stylish.

Weaknesses: A bit too conservative in trying to hide low bitrate files from your ears via the 2-5k+ dip. Cramped stage & imaging, though those are low-priorities for how I see most using these cans. Perhaps a bit too much focus on bass than the full drum kit… both are needed for a perfect modern, danceable sound.

Scalability (amping): These are quite sensitive – they picked up noise from my noisy NFB-28 at low volumes. But, that means even a lowly phone can get them loud and push out plenty of bass with little problem. A clean DAC can do wonders for these cans in getting bass control and better separation in the upper mids. A portable amp like the C5 with its low bass boost could be thunderous for these guys. I’m guessing the popular E12 could be too noisy.

Summary: B. Overall, Sennheiser I think hit all the important things they needed too, while setting a clear HIGH bar for build quality. I think these cans will stand the test of time (sonically and physically), and I hope they cause quite a stir. Try to hear them if you need a portable can, they’re quite addicting! A fun can with full bass ability, mids that leave no wanting, easy on the ears treble, and an overall solid package made letting go of these hard for me to do!

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #315 of 446
Got the Urbanite On-ear.  At an initial listen, it is kind of muffled.  More to come.
At least it isn't as nasal as my Momentum On-ear and just as punchy.

Edit:

Urbanite vs. DT770, another guy suggested earlier.

Well, it's not even in the same league as DT770pro 80/250/600, ATH-M50x (stock or modified), SRH840, SR325is/225i, HD380pro, HDH50, K545, or HD6/7/8.  It does not even beat my HD360pro and Momentum On-ear, it is in their league.  Also, it is compatible with HD5x8 cables, HD6/7/8 cables, and ATH cables meant for M30x, M40x, and M50x despite having a different locking mechanism compared to those other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back