Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Oct 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #271 of 446
  I was given a set of the Urbanite XL through the Amazon Vine program.  After trying them, I'm not overly impressed. 

The midrange and treble are OK, you can tell the response isn't quite flat to the limits of my hearing (14K or so) but they are able to get there.  But the big issue is a mid-bass hump around 400 Hz or so, below which the bass gradually drops off.  So though these can get down to 20 - 30Hz, they really don't have much punch in that range.  For cans advertised as "Take the club with you - Legendary Sennheiser sound featuring massive bass" I was a bit disappointed.  And I have to agree with the earlier post that overall these sounded fine but just weren't that involving or interesting to me, at least not in comparison to my IE80s.

Comfort is OK, though the cups are not that that deep and I can feel my ears lightly touching the driver cover.  I'll also note that the "case" is light fabric bag unworthy of $250 headphones. 

Overall I think these are OK, but no competition for the IE80s.  I have not tried the Urbanite (non-XL) or Momentums, so i can't give a comparison to these.

I'd also note that many of the reviews on Amazon are probably by those comparing these to $5 buds or whatever junk came with their phone; that's why I come here to see what people *really* think about any new products.  :)

Sucks that they don't have the boosted low bass like HD8/7/6, HD360, and HD380.

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #272 of 446
Definitely looking forward to some good in depth reviews. Any chance you would be able to compare it to the dt770s? I am sure that a lot of people would like to see how the urbanites stack up against those. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #273 of 446
  Definitely looking forward to some good in depth reviews. Any chance you would be able to compare it to the dt770s? I am sure that a lot of people would like to see how the urbanites stack up against those. 

Uh, I doubt there are a lot of people who want to know the specifics of how a small portable on-ear measures up to a huge 250 ohm monster designed for studio use

or a lot of people who own both of these headphones, for that matter, given the fact that they are in a completely different product class

but whatever

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #274 of 446
  Uh, I doubt there are a lot of people who want to know the specifics of how a small portable on-ear measures up to a huge 250 ohm monster designed for studio use

What kind of logic is that?
"Designed for studio use" or having a 250 ohm impedance doesn't mean **** in terms of sound quality.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #275 of 446

What kind of logic is that?
"Designed for studio use" or having a 250 ohm impedance doesn't mean **** in terms of sound quality.

Takato Logic. 
biggrin.gif

No offense.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #276 of 446
Takato Logic. :D
No offense.
they were made for different things. Takato is correct. A comparison to a portable from beyerdynamic would be better in my opinion than comparing to a full size headphone made for audiophile and studio use.

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #278 of 446
IMO, what is being discussed here is purely sonic quality, so i do think paspasero is right in asking. Only if you compare points like portability, open/closed back etc. should there be any categorising of headphones. They all do produce sound, after all

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #279 of 446
I was putting together a review for them and then I ended up breaking my right hand. I'm in a cast for the next two months. To be clear, these are my impressions of the Urbanite on ear.

In a nutshell, they sound good with a very tight, controlled bass(moreso than the XS and maybe the M-100, although that could be because the M-100 is so much bassier) although the subbass rolls off a little. The upper mids/lower trebles sound veiled and therefore makes pop music sound a little dull, especially higher female vocals. Deeper vocalists like Lady Gaga and Lana Del Ray sound great, but Kpop/Jpop loses something. EDM, rap and, surprisingly, classical sound pretty good. I think it does well with classical due it's stellar imaging. The sound stage isn't very big, but is has a black background and stereo separation is nicely laid out. Amping doesn't seem to do much and I find that different DACs affect the sound more. I do not like how it plays with the Vamp Verza, but out of the Aune T1 with an 1969 Holland Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 tube the sound gets more spacious and the overall balance shifts a little more toward neutral, although it's still a very colored, bassy headphone.

Out of all my headphones the Urbanite isolates the best and is my preferred subway headphone, but they clamp a little too tight and slide off my head fairly easily when I look up or down forcing me to constantly adjust them. To be honest, after the initial two weeks I spent with them to get some impressions for review I've barely touched them preferring my XS and M-100.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #281 of 446
These look like an unreleased (US) Sony headphones I saw couple of years ago. I don't know the model no but the Sennheiser are bigger. This design is too old IMO.

Hopefully not fragile, either.

Talking about old:

That's ATH-2 orotho from the late 70s and AT's newer RE70 budget dynamic.
I've seen a number of vintage headphones, most of them orthodynamics, and a handful of manufacturers are reusing these 30-40 year old designs.  Revamped, sure, but still old.  I don't see the problem as long as they improve on durability and comfort, though in the case of RE70, I'll bet it sucks judging by its price. maybe even a far cry from ATH-2.

If you find out or remember which Sony later, do post it. 
popcorn.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #282 of 446
Didn't mean to cause such a commotion haha. I should clarify in that my comparison was meant to be between the urbanite XL and the DT770s. But I was just wondering because: 
1. Yes a lot of people have heard the DT770's and for a lot of people it is a portable headphone when the 32 and 80 ohm versions are used
2. They are both closed back headphones that in my opinion are bass centric (although the DT770 does many things well also)
3. I used to have the DT770's 80 ohm and I wanted to see how they compared since I enjoyed the DT770s. 

I do understand that they were made for very different purposes though and that is a valid point. I would say I am just approaching this from a sonic standpoint and not a use case basis. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #284 of 446
are those really the XL? The earcups look too small to be the XL.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #285 of 446
Scroll down and view the full gallery? The perspective of the first photo is looking down at an angle, however the "grill" on the earpiece extends down past the cups on the smaller model:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sennheiser-urbanite-headphones-play,news-19469.html

Thus online photos easily distinguishable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back