Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Sep 18, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #241 of 446
true... but recessed female vocals are still a pretty easy way to tell

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #243 of 446
im still waiting for Tyll's review of the XL.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #244 of 446
SpiderNhan, the recessed treble may be to cater to consumers listening to harsh, low bit rate files.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #245 of 446
I didn't say the recessed treble as a positive or a negative. It was just very apparent to my ears that it was very toned down compared to my XS which also has a polite(but no where near as polite) treble. It felt like part of the sound was missing.

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #247 of 446
Bizarre. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #248 of 446
I just got me a pair of URBANITE XL today. God, this headphone is so good for what i paid!

Here is what i felt for 30 mins of listening: 
Wow URBANITE XL is awesome! More like Sub Woofer?!
The BASS is smooth as silk and very energetic to listen to. the sound just reminds the LCD-2 that I had. Yes, its that good! The low-treble is a bit recessed, but it actually softens sibilance for songs that isn't recorded well. Vocals were excellent, not veiled or murdered by excessive bass. Sound stage is pretty darn good as a closed-headphones( not lying!). I heard just as much details as I heard on my reference headphones. 

According to Sennheiser, XL is an over-ear of URBANITE with same driver units; Thus, they should sound similar.
The only complaint so far for me is the comfort. My ears get quite hot after while from wearing URBANITE XL. 
biggrin.gif
 STILL WORTH 

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #249 of 446
I just got me a pair of URBANITE XL today. God, this headphone is so good for what i paid!

Here is what i felt for 30 mins of listening: 
Wow URBANITE XL is awesome! More like Sub Woofer?!
The BASS is smooth as silk and very energetic to listen to. the sound just reminds the LCD-2 that I had. Yes, its that good! The low-treble is a bit recessed, but it actually softens sibilance for songs that isn't recorded well. Vocals were excellent, not veiled or murdered by excessive bass. Sound stage is pretty darn good as a closed-headphones( not lying!). I heard just as much details as I heard on my reference headphones. 

According to Sennheiser, XL is an over-ear of URBANITE with same driver units; Thus, they should sound similar.
The only complaint so far for me is the comfort. My ears get quite hot after while from wearing URBANITE XL. :D  STILL WORTH 

Say more.
Did you try the Momentum, over ear? How is the fit, and is it as tight as the Momentum? Would you be willing to measure the inside of the cup, for comparison to the Momentum?

Also, could you include more on the sound signature? Several of us are voracious for more XL reviews.

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #250 of 446
I will be writing an in-depth review on URBANITE XL after further listening.
Unfortunately I never owned a pair of Momentum Over-Ear. But the FR graphs of these two are pretty distinct. I use HD800 at home and Westone 4R on the go.
The fit on XL is pretty tight, but not as tight as HD25II. At least I didn't feel any pain from wearing it.
Carrying pouch looks cheap, though I don't expect much from this price tag.

For those who are curious, I got mine off AudioGeeks for 224.99.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #253 of 446
PCMag.com thinks that the On Ear sounds better than the XL.

"If you're a lover of accurate and full-sounding bass, the Urbanite is the richer sounding option of Sennheiser's new style line, rather than the Urbanite XL... For $200, however, the Sennheiser Urbanite is both less expensive and more rewarding than its over-the-ear counterpart, and simply one of the best on-ear options we've heard in a while, making it an Editors' Choice."

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #254 of 446
PCMag.com thinks that the On Ear sounds better than the XL.

"If you're a lover of accurate and full-sounding bass, the Urbanite is the richer sounding option of Sennheiser's new style line, rather than the Urbanite XL... 
For $200, however, the Sennheiser Urbanite is both less expensive and more rewarding than its over-the-ear counterpart, and simply one of the best on-ear options we've heard in a while, making it an Editors' Choice."
Good - but is this one of those magazines that gives basically positive reviews, regardless?

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #255 of 446
They gave the Beats PowerBeats 2 Wireless and SMS Sync by 50 On-Ear Wireless 2 and 1/2 stars each. It seems the average rating for headphones on PCMag is around 3 1/2 stars. I'm getting an XL sometime this week so I'll be able to do some comparisons. Apparently they both have the same exact driver. I've been using the Urbanite almost exclusively as my portable and I still feel that the upper-mids/lower-treble are too tame for my tastes. For sound alone I still prefer the V-MODA XS. However, I have not used any headphone that isolates as well as these. The Urbanite is my best friend on the subway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back