Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Dec 3, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #331 of 446
Dec 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #333 of 446
walked into am audioshop...tried the On ear Urbanite on my samsungNote1 loaded with some wav testsongs...that begining basssssss gong on Copland's Fanfare...fantastically broad n realistic sounding....wow it is bass DONE RIGHT...followed that up with violins, vocals, chorals, marches..
must say i am impressed. The isolation was good too, cant hear what the salesman was trying to tell me...i tried to hide my delight. Must say i am willing to put my $$ down on this can as a nofuss plugINTOfoneCAN.

Pointed to the OverEar Urbanite...tried it on, the Note1 wasnt powerful enough to energize this bigger bro..needs a good amp will wake it up. The isolation suffered too, i could hear the salesman talking to his colleague..fail. The ON EAR is looking more n more positive for my use now.

Quickly put on the MOMENTUM on EAR nearby...it cant reproduce that Copland BasssBash with any realism...i put it back within a minute..didnt bother with the other testsongs. 

Walked to the HD700...plugged it into the Seinheisser amp..
arrrrghhh wats wrong with that sound...that bass...sounded off..?
put down that can..glad i didnt snag one during BLACK FRI ..LOL.

keep on griping about the hollow mids, roll off highs...i hope the price will go south.. :))) 

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #334 of 446
As far as I know the on-ear and over-ear version both share the same driver, so the XL should be driven as easily as the on-ear. They sound different only because of how the cups lay on the ears.

Proof from this video, driver same is exactly the same:

also inner fidelity posted a photo of the driver unit, and it has a small casing behind it, so the "internal" cup shape shouldn't change the sound that much.

Just the different seal on the ear must produce so different bass response, more powerful on the on-ear and more balanced on the over-ear version.

correct me if my suppositions are wrong

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #335 of 446
Remember too that the volume of air of the smaller ear cup is less, behaving as a smaller room, hence increasing sensitivity if seal is equal (see senns sensitivity specs).

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #336 of 446
As far as I know the on-ear and over-ear version both share the same driver, so the XL should be driven as easily as the on-ear. They sound different only because of how the cups lay on the ears.

also inner fidelity posted a photo of the driver unit, and it has a small casing behind it, so the "internal" cup shape shouldn't change the sound that much.

Just the different seal on the ear must produce so different bass response, more powerful on the on-ear and more balanced on the over-ear version.

I found the video you took the picture from and found it really informative and well shot.

I don't know if it's already been posted here but here it is below.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/4Ao1xMnfSWc[/VIDEO]

I like the way both models fold up for convenient storage, something that my momentums lack.

I've not heard these headphones myself but just going off the above video review, the reviewer (Jim) suggests the on ear type have more detail and bass level that the over ear but at the sacrifice of sound leaking.

Maybe the drivers in the over ear should have been more bigger or powerful to compensate for their larger ear cups as the sound may be weaker than the on ear type?

But I like the look of these headphones :)

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #337 of 446
i only had my handfone with me ...the On ear was at max vol at my listening vol,
once i switched over to the Over Ear, i couldnt get to my listening vol, and i didnt even try to run thru the test songs. Would love to have my E18 with me then,
both are very comfy...love the velors... the clamp force aint tight like the hd25. ( mediumsizedhead)

the sound of the On EAr reminds me of the DT150...just a tad leaner, but that big tall sound with lovely tonality.  Never had a "this aint sound right" as i ran thru each testsong that highlighted a certain genre or instrument.  

Maybe the On Ear just happen to have v good synergy with the simple Note1. 
Diff gears might give diff result.

( just like my Pandora Vi,  sounds amazing with simple gears..like ipad, sansa clip..
it sucks with my bigger amp setup at home..:p )

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #338 of 446

The "small casing" behind the driver makes up the main driver chamber, the rest of the cup is the "bass chamber".  Another guy compared this kind of setup to speakers and the "bass chamber" being the back wall that reflects bass, I forgot what thread.  If the bass ports on the main chamber are very tiny like with HD380, HD280, and HD360, the acoustics in the rest of the cup aren't that important indeed as I've found out through modding, but Urbanite has larger ports, more like HD4x8/4x9.  HD400 series is much more affected by the acoustics in the second chamber since the ports are substantially larger versus 380/360/280.  Urbanite is probably more dependent on the rest of the cup much like HD4x8/4x9.

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #339 of 446

The "small casing" behind the driver makes up the main driver chamber, the rest of the cup is the "bass chamber".  Another guy compared this kind of setup to speakers and the "bass chamber" being the back wall that reflects bass, I forgot what thread.  If the bass ports on the main chamber are very tiny like with HD380, HD280, and HD360, the acoustics in the rest of the cup aren't that important indeed as I've found out through modding, but Urbanite has larger ports, more like HD4x8/4x9.  HD400 series is much more affected by the acoustics in the second chamber since the ports are substantially larger versus 380/360/280.  Urbanite is probably more dependent on the rest of the cup much like HD4x8/4x9.

Thanks, this makes sense, and explains why the on-ear have more bass than the XL.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #340 of 446
the new MSR7 is liks an Urbanite with more bite.  
hard to go wrong with either...both winners imho.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #341 of 446
I very much prefer the M50x to the urbanites, more portable, more cables, better design (IMO), much better, livelier and more dynamic sound, and plus comfort to me is a lot better

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #342 of 446
I very much prefer the M50x to the urbanites, more portable, more cables, better design (IMO), much better, livelier and more dynamic sound, and plus comfort to me is a lot better

do the m50x have more treble? that wouldn't be good to me, I'm treble sensitive an I tend to prefer rolled off highs cans

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #343 of 446
Compared to the urbanite XL (I only heard that one, and its in a direct, side by side comparison), the M50x for sure have more treble which is more detailed and lively, more dynamic bass and more lively mids. With some of the piano sonatas, the XL sounded like a torture chamber

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #344 of 446
Compared to the urbanite XL (I only heard that one, and its in a direct, side by side comparison), the M50x for sure have more treble which is more detailed and lively, more dynamic bass and more lively mids. With some of the piano sonatas, the XL sounded like a torture chamber

u mean the XL sounded more shrilly? dun quite get what u are trying to describe...
can u elaborate alittle more. :)

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #345 of 446

omg!

a torture chamber? :eek:

I really need to hear both versions of this headphone out for myself sometime :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back