Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Dec 6, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #346 of 446
u mean the XL sounded more shrilly? dun quite get what u are trying to describe...
can u elaborate alittle more. :)
the XL was extremely lifeless and dull. Even the bass suffered, though it is supposed to be a bassy headphone. Everything sounded recessed, where the M50x was more upfront and lively and dynamic.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #347 of 446
the XL was extremely lifeless and dull. Even the bass suffered, though it is supposed to be a bassy headphone. Everything sounded recessed, where the M50x was more upfront and lively and dynamic.

Maybe the XL requires an amplifier to compensate for the larger ear cups?

Have you heard the on ear type yet?

Lorspeaker has given really positive experience of it :)

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #348 of 446

Some people are going to take a liking to it despite your constant bashing of it, you know.

I want to try the XL, too (especially to mod), but I'm just waiting for the price to drop.
I bought a used Momentum On-ear for $130 when it was at $200 new, now it is typically $109 new.  That's a hell of a decrease.  Reselling it, if I ever do, will suck.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #349 of 446
The only reason why I'm bashing the XL is because I have heard around the same sound at lesser prices before.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #351 of 446
Lol. I very much prefer the M50x's comfort. The M50x does sound different from the M50 though.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #353 of 446
The M50 had more mid bass bloat, less well extended bass and also a more peaky treble due to a really high 10kHz peak.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #354 of 446
The M50 had more mid bass bloat, less well extended bass and also a more peaky treble due to a really high 10kHz peak.

They seem nice. How aboutthe mids? I like a bit v shaped sound but vocals sounded a bit distant on the m50 to my ears... Therefore i prefered the hd25 for being a bit more balanced. How about the new pads and the clamp? I hated the clamp and the plasticky pads of the m50... I think the m50x or the dt770 will be my next purchase...

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #355 of 446
Urbanites hv supercomfy velorpads....50X has comfy deep pleather pads...
both scored well on comfort when i first put them on,
mystery is after 3 hours whats the score...
both are in my gunsight..which to pick...tsktsk.
v likely an urbanite...but i need to unfathom the sound of this XL first.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #356 of 446
They seem nice. How aboutthe mids? I like a bit v shaped sound but vocals sounded a bit distant on the m50 to my ears... Therefore i prefered the hd25 for being a bit more balanced. How about the new pads and the clamp? I hated the clamp and the plasticky pads of the m50... I think the m50x or the dt770 will be my next purchase...

Pads are hardly different and the clamp is the same since both headphones are using the same parts except for the drivers (40mm vs. 45mm).

The stock ATH earpads kill the bass and treble on both M50 and M50x, in my opinion, and pretty much just bottleneck the whole sound, it is better to go with HM5 or Sennheiser HD280 pads instead.  The headphone will no longer retain its somewhat V-shaped sound and instead have flat-ish, more spacious and open mids and treble with big bass that far clearer, far better controlled, deeper, and more analytical than with the original pads.  You will also get to experience just how "right" M50(x)'s midrange sounds.  I don't know how else to describe that attribute, the stock earpads give a preview of it, and the HD280 or HM5 pads bring it out in full, everything just sounds very "right" versus most other headphones.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #357 of 446
Max...u are referring to the velor? I m thinking of buying a pair..looks comfy:D

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #358 of 446
HM5 pleathers, though perhaps velours won't be much different, some guys tried them on other headphones and didn't notice much of a difference between the pleathers and velour HM5s.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #359 of 446
Bought the On Ear version over the weekend after seeing them on Innerfidelity wof and WOW,I'm no basshead and prefer a neutral sound but these are awesome.Bass is great and I don't feel it ever gets out of control,mids are good if a touch recessed and treble is just at the right level to not make the mids overly recessed. Extremely happy with the sound quality and if that wasn't enough the build quality is fan-freaken-tastic.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #360 of 446
How does this compare to the v moda xs? I'm looking for a replacement portable to my now dead px 100-ii. Based from what I have read it seems that the xs is the better option except for isolation, bass and durability.

I would also like to know how they compare to the px 100-ii and Philips x1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back