Good info in here. I just picked up the coiled manufactured refurbished for $75 through slickdeals. Figured for this price I can't complain much, can't wait to try them out!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Technica ATHM50 Pro Dj Headphones - White Coiled Cabletagged by cristina, 12/9/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by cristina, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Which ATH M50 to get ? Last post on 12/26/14 at 1:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50? Can't Decide help please!! Last post on 8/17/12 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Request] Different between Audio-Technica ATHM50S and Audio-Technica ATHM50 and other Advice on... Last post on 7/15/12 at 9:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Beautiful Take on Beautiful Sound - A review of the Audio Technica ATH-M50WH Last post on 7/14/14 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginner looking for amp/DAC advice Last post on 2/13/15 at 11:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Incipio F38 Remember the famous budget cans, the RP-HTF600? They we're great once modded, and so are these! So let's talk. This won't be a Super Detailed Review. Overall Sound: Highs...
wouldn't recommend if you're going to pay for $100 or above. Reasonable price should have been around $70. The only selling point is the open soundstage, would make a goid pair for movies or...
Just purchased to see if the review-ratings here were any close to reality. Not-so-much. But it's good to have it with you if you want to occasionally let a friend listen with you if you...
Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ears Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/760881/sennheiser-momentum-1-0-on-ears-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Sennheiser’s style range On...
I bought the headphones on 26 / january / 2015 this first thing that made me happy was the excellent comfort of the headphones and the ability to stay on my head even if was leaning my head these...
The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread - Page 94
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My friend got the same deal. He is pretty happy with them. Enjoy.
Oh man, I scored another busted M50, repiared it, then added HM5 pads. Dang, I should have done this sooner, I was always pretty unsatisfied with M50's bass and treble, then the HM5 earpads fixes them.. The 10kHz peak is not at all as bad anymore and the bass is clearer and better controlled if a little reduced. Dynamat on the outside of the primary chamber tightens and cleans up the bass a bit more. But really, the difference that the HM5 pads bring really blows me away, now I love the headphone. The soundstage is also deeper and bigger with the HM5 pads.
The midrange remains as excellent as before, if a pinch warmer.
Edit: I overlooked in my excitement there that the HM5 pads kill the bass if the pads don't seal perfectly, which takes a couple of minutes of sitting on my head. Derp.
Edit2: The newer memory foam HM5 pads are even better than the regular HM5 pads, w00t! They're a bit thicker, too.
Edited by Mad Max - 9/8/14 at 6:28pm
I love my M50x's.
They are very comfortable, 4hrs every day and I forget they're on my head. Sound is warm, bass is very tight (just how I like it) Mids are subtle Highs are clear and bright.
Sound comes from an Asus Xonar Essence PCI
I had a set of Sennheiser PC350 SE's before the M50's, thew had a better sound stage and were definitely cleaner all around.
I Highly Recommend The ATH-M50's.
I'm not an audiophile, but I know what sounds good in my ear. :)
I really dig these cans. I agree with the original post on the sound. Slightly recessed mids with good bass and treble.. but I must mention that I had another m50 back around 2010 which was too bright and boomy for me. These new ones are definitely a step up. I am using a basic system around them comprised of a schiit modi DAC, a JDSLabs O2 amp used at low gain, Schiit USB cable and audioquest tower 3.5mm to RCA interconnects. Great simple system for the laptop. I have some Sennheiser hd518s that are great on the same system but somehow the m50 gives me a better all around experience.
I've been spending time with HD280 pads, new ones this time and with the grey tuning foam in the back removed. The grey foam cripples the sound for M50.
Oh yeah! These pads rule! Bass quality is better than ever, mids are still balanced and clear, if I bit more fleshed out now, and treble is balanced yet still clear and bright, never fatiguing. The ~10kHz peak is much smaller now without the stock pads. The midrange/treble balanced is close to flat, then the bass is copious with good body and weight, real nice rumble and clarity, detail, and control are maximized. I thought they were much awesome with the HM5 pads, but these are even better.
On the downside, HD280 pads are not as comfortable as the HM5 pads, much stiffer instead, but after a few minutes of use in each listening session, they conform to your head. Once they start conforming more permanently then comfort will improve, and isolation is very good with the 280 pads, a bit better than with HM5 pads.
Getting the Senn pads on the first time is mildly difficult, but they are tough and stretchable enough for a proper fit.
- The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 27 seconds ago
- › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT990/600 ohm w/ removable mini XLR recable 1 minute ago
- › SF Bay Area mini meet 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread! 3 minutes ago
- › SoundMagic HP200 3 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by trane1992
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2