Good info in here. I just picked up the coiled manufactured refurbished for $75 through slickdeals. Figured for this price I can't complain much, can't wait to try them out!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Technica ATHM50 Pro Dj Headphones - White Coiled Cabletagged by cristina, 12/9/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by cristina, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50? Can't Decide help please!! Last post on 8/17/12 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Request] Different between Audio-Technica ATHM50S and Audio-Technica ATHM50 and other Advice on... Last post on 7/15/12 at 9:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Beautiful Take on Beautiful Sound - A review of the Audio Technica ATH-M50WH Last post on 7/14/14 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50S Last post on 8/17/14 at 3:59pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- asus b85m-g .. audio technica ath-m50 Last post on 5/29/14 at 4:07am in Headphones (full-size)
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
My comprehensive review of the Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones BURN-IN TIME - Took about 3-4 days to burn in so maybe 12 or so hours for me Upon receiving these as a gift for my birthday (so I...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music and sound equipment but I...
Brace yourself... Pardon any grammatical errors please as this is one of my longer reviews. Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be...
The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread - Page 94
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My friend got the same deal. He is pretty happy with them. Enjoy.
Oh man, I scored another busted M50, repiared it, then added HM5 pads. Dang, I should have done this sooner, I was always pretty unsatisfied with M50's bass and treble, then the HM5 earpads fixes them.. The 10kHz peak is not at all as bad anymore and the bass is clearer and better controlled if a little reduced. Dynamat on the outside of the primary chamber tightens and cleans up the bass a bit more. But really, the difference that the HM5 pads bring really blows me away, now I love the headphone. The soundstage is also deeper and bigger with the HM5 pads.
The midrange remains as excellent as before, if a pinch warmer.
Edit: I overlooked in my excitement there that the HM5 pads kill the bass if the pads don't seal perfectly, which takes a couple of minutes of sitting on my head. Derp.
Edit2: The newer memory foam HM5 pads are even better than the regular HM5 pads, w00t! They're a bit thicker, too.
Edited by Mad Max - 9/8/14 at 6:28pm
I love my M50x's.
They are very comfortable, 4hrs every day and I forget they're on my head. Sound is warm, bass is very tight (just how I like it) Mids are subtle Highs are clear and bright.
Sound comes from an Asus Xonar Essence PCI
I had a set of Sennheiser PC350 SE's before the M50's, thew had a better sound stage and were definitely cleaner all around.
I Highly Recommend The ATH-M50's.
I'm not an audiophile, but I know what sounds good in my ear. :)
I really dig these cans. I agree with the original post on the sound. Slightly recessed mids with good bass and treble.. but I must mention that I had another m50 back around 2010 which was too bright and boomy for me. These new ones are definitely a step up. I am using a basic system around them comprised of a schiit modi DAC, a JDSLabs O2 amp used at low gain, Schiit USB cable and audioquest tower 3.5mm to RCA interconnects. Great simple system for the laptop. I have some Sennheiser hd518s that are great on the same system but somehow the m50 gives me a better all around experience.
I've been spending time with HD280 pads, new ones this time and with the grey tuning foam in the back removed. The grey foam cripples the sound for M50.
Oh yeah! These pads rule! Bass quality is better than ever, mids are still balanced and clear, if I bit more fleshed out now, and treble is balanced yet still clear and bright, never fatiguing. The ~10kHz peak is much smaller now without the stock pads. The midrange/treble balanced is close to flat, then the bass is copious with good body and weight, real nice rumble and clarity, detail, and control are maximized. I thought they were much awesome with the HM5 pads, but these are even better.
On the downside, HD280 pads are not as comfortable as the HM5 pads, much stiffer instead, but after a few minutes of use in each listening session, they conform to your head. Once they start conforming more permanently then comfort will improve, and isolation is very good with the 280 pads, a bit better than with HM5 pads.
Getting the Senn pads on the first time is mildly difficult, but they are tough and stretchable enough for a proper fit.
- The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 54 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 4 minutes ago
- › Wanted: Sony XBA H3 earphones 5 minutes ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD" 6 minutes ago
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by bkyoung
- › Superlux HD-631 by Sharingan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)