Good info in here. I just picked up the coiled manufactured refurbished for $75 through slickdeals. Figured for this price I can't complain much, can't wait to try them out!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Technica ATHM50 Pro Dj Headphones - White Coiled Cabletagged by cristina, 12/9/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by cristina, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50? Can't Decide help please!! Last post on 8/17/12 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Request] Different between Audio-Technica ATHM50S and Audio-Technica ATHM50 and other Advice on... Last post on 7/15/12 at 9:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Beautiful Take on Beautiful Sound - A review of the Audio Technica ATH-M50WH Last post on 7/14/14 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50S Last post on 8/17/14 at 3:59pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- asus b85m-g .. audio technica ath-m50 Last post on 5/29/14 at 4:07am in Headphones (full-size)
Wonderful headset. Very underrated because razer gets a lot of hate for being mainstream
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
Sony almost always delivers when it comes to good quality audio products and these headphones are a great example. These headphones fit quit well and have different size plugs depending on what...
The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread - Page 94
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My friend got the same deal. He is pretty happy with them. Enjoy.
Oh man, I scored another busted M50, repiared it, then added HM5 pads. Dang, I should have done this sooner, I was always pretty unsatisfied with M50's bass and treble, then the HM5 earpads fixes them.. The 10kHz peak is not at all as bad anymore and the bass is clearer and better controlled if a little reduced. Dynamat on the outside of the primary chamber tightens and cleans up the bass a bit more. But really, the difference that the HM5 pads bring really blows me away, now I love the headphone. The soundstage is also deeper and bigger with the HM5 pads.
The midrange remains as excellent as before, if a pinch warmer.
Edit: I overlooked in my excitement there that the HM5 pads kill the bass if the pads don't seal perfectly, which takes a couple of minutes of sitting on my head. Derp.
Edit2: The newer memory foam HM5 pads are even better than the regular HM5 pads, w00t! They're a bit thicker, too.
Edited by Mad Max - 9/8/14 at 6:28pm
I love my M50x's.
They are very comfortable, 4hrs every day and I forget they're on my head. Sound is warm, bass is very tight (just how I like it) Mids are subtle Highs are clear and bright.
Sound comes from an Asus Xonar Essence PCI
I had a set of Sennheiser PC350 SE's before the M50's, thew had a better sound stage and were definitely cleaner all around.
I Highly Recommend The ATH-M50's.
I'm not an audiophile, but I know what sounds good in my ear. :)
I really dig these cans. I agree with the original post on the sound. Slightly recessed mids with good bass and treble.. but I must mention that I had another m50 back around 2010 which was too bright and boomy for me. These new ones are definitely a step up. I am using a basic system around them comprised of a schiit modi DAC, a JDSLabs O2 amp used at low gain, Schiit USB cable and audioquest tower 3.5mm to RCA interconnects. Great simple system for the laptop. I have some Sennheiser hd518s that are great on the same system but somehow the m50 gives me a better all around experience.
I've been spending time with HD280 pads, new ones this time and with the grey tuning foam in the back removed. The grey foam cripples the sound for M50.
Oh yeah! These pads rule! Bass quality is better than ever, mids are still balanced and clear, if I bit more fleshed out now, and treble is balanced yet still clear and bright, never fatiguing. The ~10kHz peak is much smaller now without the stock pads. The midrange/treble balanced is close to flat, then the bass is copious with good body and weight, real nice rumble and clarity, detail, and control are maximized. I thought they were much awesome with the HM5 pads, but these are even better.
On the downside, HD280 pads are not as comfortable as the HM5 pads, much stiffer instead, but after a few minutes of use in each listening session, they conform to your head. Once they start conforming more permanently then comfort will improve, and isolation is very good with the 280 pads, a bit better than with HM5 pads.
Getting the Senn pads on the first time is mildly difficult, but they are tough and stretchable enough for a proper fit.
- The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 second ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 12 seconds ago
- › AUDIOVALVE LUMINARE: an Universal Headphone Amp with three... 1 minute ago
- › Evshrug's "If I knew then what I know now" discussion journal. 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for headphones. Newbie 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 firmware 3.21 download and discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared 9 minutes ago
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)