Good info in here. I just picked up the coiled manufactured refurbished for $75 through slickdeals. Figured for this price I can't complain much, can't wait to try them out!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Technica ATHM50 Pro Dj Headphones - White Coiled Cabletagged by cristina, 12/9/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by cristina, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Which ATH M50 to get ? Last post on 12/26/14 at 1:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50? Can't Decide help please!! Last post on 8/17/12 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Request] Different between Audio-Technica ATHM50S and Audio-Technica ATHM50 and other Advice on... Last post on 7/15/12 at 9:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Beautiful Take on Beautiful Sound - A review of the Audio Technica ATH-M50WH Last post on 7/14/14 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginner looking for amp/DAC advice Last post on 2/13/15 at 11:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
If you are looking for an inexpensive USB cable, this is an OK way to spend your money. It will reduce some of the digital irritants and sounds better than the "comes with" usb cables packaged...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread - Page 94
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My friend got the same deal. He is pretty happy with them. Enjoy.
Oh man, I scored another busted M50, repiared it, then added HM5 pads. Dang, I should have done this sooner, I was always pretty unsatisfied with M50's bass and treble, then the HM5 earpads fixes them.. The 10kHz peak is not at all as bad anymore and the bass is clearer and better controlled if a little reduced. Dynamat on the outside of the primary chamber tightens and cleans up the bass a bit more. But really, the difference that the HM5 pads bring really blows me away, now I love the headphone. The soundstage is also deeper and bigger with the HM5 pads.
The midrange remains as excellent as before, if a pinch warmer.
Edit: I overlooked in my excitement there that the HM5 pads kill the bass if the pads don't seal perfectly, which takes a couple of minutes of sitting on my head. Derp.
Edit2: The newer memory foam HM5 pads are even better than the regular HM5 pads, w00t! They're a bit thicker, too.
Edited by Mad Max - 9/8/14 at 6:28pm
I love my M50x's.
They are very comfortable, 4hrs every day and I forget they're on my head. Sound is warm, bass is very tight (just how I like it) Mids are subtle Highs are clear and bright.
Sound comes from an Asus Xonar Essence PCI
I had a set of Sennheiser PC350 SE's before the M50's, thew had a better sound stage and were definitely cleaner all around.
I Highly Recommend The ATH-M50's.
I'm not an audiophile, but I know what sounds good in my ear. :)
I really dig these cans. I agree with the original post on the sound. Slightly recessed mids with good bass and treble.. but I must mention that I had another m50 back around 2010 which was too bright and boomy for me. These new ones are definitely a step up. I am using a basic system around them comprised of a schiit modi DAC, a JDSLabs O2 amp used at low gain, Schiit USB cable and audioquest tower 3.5mm to RCA interconnects. Great simple system for the laptop. I have some Sennheiser hd518s that are great on the same system but somehow the m50 gives me a better all around experience.
I've been spending time with HD280 pads, new ones this time and with the grey tuning foam in the back removed. The grey foam cripples the sound for M50.
Oh yeah! These pads rule! Bass quality is better than ever, mids are still balanced and clear, if I bit more fleshed out now, and treble is balanced yet still clear and bright, never fatiguing. The ~10kHz peak is much smaller now without the stock pads. The midrange/treble balanced is close to flat, then the bass is copious with good body and weight, real nice rumble and clarity, detail, and control are maximized. I thought they were much awesome with the HM5 pads, but these are even better.
On the downside, HD280 pads are not as comfortable as the HM5 pads, much stiffer instead, but after a few minutes of use in each listening session, they conform to your head. Once they start conforming more permanently then comfort will improve, and isolation is very good with the 280 pads, a bit better than with HM5 pads.
Getting the Senn pads on the first time is mildly difficult, but they are tough and stretchable enough for a proper fit.
- The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Best portable amp for my Beyerdynamics? 52 seconds ago
- › A New Idea on a Budget 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 2 minutes ago
- › The EU deals thread! 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 3 minutes ago
- › MINT Condition Sennheiser HD650 3 minutes ago
- › High End Bluetooth Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › hi folks! 5 minutes ago
- › Recommended over-ear wireless cans? (under $200) 6 minutes ago
- › New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP!... 6 minutes ago
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2