Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Sep 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #256 of 446
I believe they do use the same driver.

Aside from sound signature, and its seeming bass dominance, I am most concerned about comfort for the XL. Is it a duplicate in comfort (lack of) to the Momentum?
In this regard, how is the comfort of it, as a sealed, on-ear can? How long can you wear it? Any pain, etc?

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #257 of 446
  I believe they do use the same driver.

Aside from sound signature, and its seeming bass dominance, I am most concerned about comfort for the XL. Is it a duplicate in comfort (lack of) to the Momentum?
In this regard, how is the comfort of it, as a sealed, on-ear can? How long can you wear it? Any pain, etc?

I've had both the on ear and XL for a few days now. I definitely prefer the on ears by quite a large margin. The XL is slightly more comfortable but they end up hurting my ears after a while since the ear cups are so shallow. Sound wise, the on ear also beats out the XL. I already thought the on ear was a bit veiled, but the XL is really veiled. Vocals sound worse and the bass doesn't hit as hard(not really sure why). If you're debating between the two, I'd definitely go for the on ear. 

Someone was also asking for a comparison between the urbanites and the momentum. I think the momentum is the better headphone. It's just much more natural sounding. The urbanites sound artificial at times to me and are slightly veiled, and aren't as engaging as the momentums. However, with that said, if you listen exclusively to rap or edm, I'd go for the urbanites. They have incredible bass extension and really do hit hard.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #258 of 446
So you don't prefer the Urbanite's much at all for their genre's. That is super upsetting, because i'm finding no comfortable closed-back headphones. I was even willing to fork past certain lack of detail for long-term wear.

Any other thought's you'd like to add?
Are you going to keep them? How much can you wear them? Are they fatiguing, or dull with all other genre's? Etc...

And a big thanks for your perspective.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #259 of 446
If you found the momentum uncomfortable, these certainly won't be any better. They clamp pretty hard and i can only wear them for about two hours at most. I can manage around an two and a half hours with the XL. They certainly aren't fatiguing, but I do find them dull. To me it sounds like the treble is pretty recessed, but then there is a bit of sparkle in the really high end. I would only use them over the momentum if I wasn't listening to hip hop, rap, or edm. I also don't think I'll be keeping either of them. Comfort is a big issue for me, and these definitely hurt my ears after a while. I'm actually considering custom iems as they've got great isolation and I'll be able to wear them indefinitely. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #261 of 446
impressions please! Im still considering getting these in for review

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #264 of 446
cnet has their review of the urbanite XL up, and as i suspected, pcmag was missing something in their tests which caused them to think the on ear was better than the XL. typical pcmag. they only use the same few tracks and barely anything else.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #265 of 446
cnet prefers the momentum due to its warmer and laid back sound but the momentum always sounded too laid back and lacking too much detail for me, so i think i should like the XL.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #269 of 446
I was given a set of the Urbanite XL through the Amazon Vine program.  After trying them, I'm not overly impressed. 

The midrange and treble are OK, you can tell the response isn't quite flat to the limits of my hearing (14K or so) but they are able to get there.  But the big issue is a mid-bass hump around 400 Hz or so, below which the bass gradually drops off.  So though these can get down to 20 - 30Hz, they really don't have much punch in that range.  For cans advertised as "Take the club with you - Legendary Sennheiser sound featuring massive bass" I was a bit disappointed.  And I have to agree with the earlier post that overall these sounded fine but just weren't that involving or interesting to me, at least not in comparison to my IE80s.

Comfort is OK, though the cups are not that that deep and I can feel my ears lightly touching the driver cover.  I'll also note that the "case" is light fabric bag unworthy of $250 headphones. 

Overall I think these are OK, but no competition for the IE80s.  I have not tried the Urbanite (non-XL) or Momentums, so i can't give a comparison to these.

I'd also note that many of the reviews on Amazon are probably by those comparing these to $5 buds or whatever junk came with their phone; that's why I come here to see what people *really* think about any new products.  :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #270 of 446
They certainly look fantastic.

Have owned the Canon G9 for many years. Digital camera tech has long since progressed. G9 still fine in good light, problem is barrel distortion in macro mode :/ (see XL box photo).

In two minds whether to invest in new camera or for my next smartphone just choose one with top camera...

If more photos required speak now before Sat or forever hold your peace! (or just ask the next person for photos...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back