Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Sep 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #151 of 446
I doubt that highly - if you say the Bose OE's weren't successful, I'm guessing a big part of that was that it didn't sound too good?

The Thinksound On1's sound fantastic and perhaps are the best sounding closed back portable I've owned or heard - even better than the solo2's, but they are more expensive than the solo2's and new Urbanite on ears, unless On1's price has lowered since I got mine, so it's all relative in that respect I guess.

The On1"s reclaimed wood and organic approach may not to be everyone's taste but when you actually hear them, for me, I didn't give a schiit what they looked like as they sound so good, not that I dislike their look - I actually appreciate the wood earcups and overall look, but IMO, the Thinksound On1's are class leaders of closed back on ear portable headphones - I've not heard any better in that category - maybe the Urbanites could change my opinion - I'll have to wait and see
wink.gif

+1

i owned momentum over ears, hp50, kef m500, vmodas, aedle vk1 and many more, but None Comes even Close in soundquality to the thinksound on1. guess what, they are not far from my beyer t5p in Details and soundstage, but they do have even better tonality. i would go as far as to my ears are the best sounding closed back headphone up to 500 $ no matter if onear or over ear design.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #152 of 446
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GHWZLC2?cache=bb85e2f51e5003908597ac0d30586179&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1410181188&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1 250$? And its that good?

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #153 of 446
I'm confused.
Firstly, how are these headphones supposed to look anything like beats?
I see a lot of people saying stuff like "yeah, Sennheiser are clearly taking on beats here"
These headphones look NOTHING alike. (see Yamaha Pro 500 and Shure SRH240 for more info
wink.gif
)

Secondly, if Sennheiser ARE taking on beats, how is that a bad thing?
If there was no competition, there would never be any progress... unless of course you don't believe in evolution or the free market.

i owned momentum over ears, hp50, kef m500, vmodas, aedle vk1 and many more, but None Comes even Close in soundquality to the thinksound on1. guess what, they are not far from my beyer t5p in Details and soundstage, but they do have even better tonality. i would go as far as to my ears are the best sounding closed back headphone up to 500 $ no matter if onear or over ear design.

Did you find somewhere to audition these first? or did you just take the plunge? (just asking as a fellow resident of central europe)

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #154 of 446

My first, admittedly rather elitist though was: oh, consumer headphones.

Those of the staff I saw wearing them had the smaller on-ear version and that looked OK. Can't tell about the XLs, though they don't look that massive that they might pose a problem around the neck (which *is* a necessity for something to be worn on the street, not because one would wear them as decoration, but because you sometimes have to take them off but don't want to carry them in hand).

I don't think they had a cheap look to them, though I prefer muted color schemes (color does not matter as long as its black...) and the extension mechanism gives them a rather distinct shape (which fits the XL better I think).

While I was there I did not try them out... as I said I own too much headphones already, have a different taste than Sennheiser engineers (e.g. the Momentum was much too warm to me, I prefer the DT1350 to the HD25 and have a strained relationship with the HD800...) and was actually on my way to the Beyerdynamic booth :wink: Nevertheless I'd have secured one for you had they been giving them away.

Sony had several Z7 on display, they seemed important to them together with the amp and cable. Each part was secured with thin metal wires, even the cable... they shure know their fair visitors. Items do get stolen...

Thats an awesome breakdown bro - sounds like you had a lot of fun there too checking out the latest & greatest 
cool.gif

beerchug.gif

I'm confused.
Firstly, how are these headphones supposed to look anything like beats?
I see a lot of people saying stuff like "yeah, Sennheiser are clearly taking on beats here"
These headphones look NOTHING alike. (see Yamaha Pro 500 and Shure SRH240 for more info 
wink.gif
)

Secondly, if Sennheiser ARE taking on beats, how is that a bad thing?
If there was no competition, there would never be any progress... unless of course you don't believe in evolution or the free market.

Did you find somewhere to audition these first? or did you just take the plunge? (just asking as a fellow resident of central europe)

I think people identify the urbanites with beats more so because of their marketing spiel as shown on page 1 by OP which cites "massive bass" - ironic in as much solo2 have pulled back on that front and with the styling too - very subtle.

Also, by urbanites strongish colour schemes and variety, something beats have always been renown for.

I personally think Sennheiser's attempt to take on beats/apple is a good thing as competition pushes manufacturers to do bigger and better which has already been proved a success wth the highly refined solo2 - lets hope the urbanite can do the same if not better 
smily_headphones1.gif

For myself regarding the Thinksound On1 Monitor, I read a bunch of reviews and took the plunge purchasing via Amazon UK whom have excellent return policy should you not be satisfied, though I've never returned anything I've purchased from Amazon and tend to be a headphone hoarder - lol, but I'm so glad I did pick up the On1's as these cans rock so hard and above their weight.  One of the few cans that as soon as I put them on my head I had an instant smile on my face as I mouthed OMG!

They even upscale excellently and respond very well to what you amp them with, yet still sound unbelievably good plugged directly into your DAP be it iPad, iPod, smartphone etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1100334/a/874680/thinksound-on1-monitor/
http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1100333/a/874680/thinksound-on1-monitor/
http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1100332/a/874680/thinksound-on1-monitor/
http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1100329/a/874680/thinksound-on1-monitor/

I'm glad to see jude include the On1's in his Summer Buying Guide.

ps - I would never advocate buying a headphone blind as auditioning in person is always the golden rule, however, I understand that for a lot of people, this luxury isn't available to them, nor me and I wish that I had a headphone emporium store on my doorstep to facilitate such, but I guess this is where reviews can come in handy and finding a reviewer you can identify with and trust is always a good start.  Plus I'm a headcan whore and easy when it comes to picking up new gear - lol 
biggrin.gif

I was so stoked about the Thinksound On1's that I actually emailed them with my praise and was surprised to get a reply from their CEO Aaron Fournier who was very gracious and gave the impression that they are a company big enough to produce awesome products, yet small enough to give a personal response to an individual customer - a personal touch which was very cool I thought 
cool.gif

I mentioned how good the On1's are to Tyll Hertsens on his http://innerfidelity.com site on the solo2 review comments, and he replied back that he's looking to get a pair in to check himself, so if he does, they may well knock off the current solo2, momentum and v-moda xs altogether from current Wall of Fame positions 
basshead.gif
 - but we'll have to wait and see what Tyll makes of them first and maybe he will compare them against the urbanites too?
Definitely can recommend the Thinksound On1's to all - they are a revelation 
beerchug.gif
 and I dont say that lightly 
wink_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1100320/a/874680/thinksound-on1-monitor/

If Sennheiser's urbanites can better the solo2 and Thinksound On1 monitors - happy days but thats some tall order to achieve IMO  
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #158 of 446
Welp, that's it. You got me very interested in the ON1's CB... TOO MANY CANS, TOO LITTLE SPENDING MONEY! :0

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #159 of 446
Welp, that's it. You got me very interested in the ON1's CB... TOO MANY CANS, TOO LITTLE SPENDING MONEY! :0

Well - it's a very good investment that will bring years of return pleasure, so in the long term you could almost say the are free as the return out weighs the initial outlay - however, please don't walk into a store that sells them and demand free On1 monitor cans saying "but cb sent me" else we'll both be in trouble :D lulz etc :wink:

If you got headcan problems I feel sorry for you son,
I got 99 problems but On1 Monitors ain't one
:bigsmile_face:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/kBnJnXq4YQ8[/VIDEO]

This trk plays well on solo2 but on urbanite too? :blink:

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #160 of 446
Well - it's a very good investment that will bring years of return pleasure, so in the long term you could almost say the are free as the return out weighs the initial outlay - however, please don't walk into a store that sells them and demand free On1 monitor cans saying "but cb sent me" else we'll both be in trouble :D lulz etc :wink:
Everybody, let's make that a thing. Everybody go into their nearest store and demand ON1's because CB said they were free!

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #165 of 446
I love the look!

Is this a redesigned driver or is it shared with other Sennheiser headphones?

That's the spirit!

I prefer the look of the XL over rather than on ears as looks like both models use same size uniform headband - I think XL looks more in proportion, but seeing them in real life may change my opinion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back