Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Sep 6, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #121 of 446
I've poked my head in there from time to time, the last time I did the JVC SZ2000 was the top contender.  I'd probably see what the top portable basshead offerings would be, something foldable would be great.

Cool :cool:

Yeah the SZ2000's are still top dog - they do fold but are still a big heavy can, not so much portable but for the chronic basshead.

These urbanite cans may fit your bill especially the on-ears, but as you so rightly pointed out - taking claims of a headphones potential without hearing them for yourself is not wise.

I'm going to give the urbanites a listen hopefully from my local Apple store - they stock Sennheiser Momentum on and over ears so hopefully will stock these new urbanites to be able to check out their bass quality and quantity :)

Have you considered the beats solo2?

You might want to check out the solo2 - it's a class act that you could regard as an audiophiles basshead headphone - very refined :wink:

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #122 of 446
Luckily I wouldn't be bothered by the weight unless we're talking Audeze LCD-XC weight, which might be problematic.  The folding would just make it more convenient to put in a bag or so on trips.  Once the Urbanite comes out and I get a chance to test it, I might break down and get myself a real basshead then.  The SZ2000 is a CNT headphone, right?  If so, I've always wanted to hear a serious attempt at one.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #123 of 446
Luckily I wouldn't be bothered by the weight unless we're talking Audeze LCD-XC weight, which might be problematic.  The folding would just make it more convenient to put in a bag or so on trips.  Once the Urbanite comes out and I get a chance to test it, I might break down and get myself a real basshead then.  The SZ2000 is a CNT headphone, right?  If so, I've always wanted to hear a serious attempt at one.

Yeah, JVC use carbon nanotube drivers in a lot of their headphones, I'd expect for their robust strength qualities, but not exclusively to the SZ2000 or 1000 :)

Whilst using CNT material drivers are good choice of materials, it's the Kelton method design approach applied in each earcup with separate chambers and other complicated features I don't really understand the physics of that apparently give those headphones their immense bass capabilities. Apparently, from JVC's site, the Kelton method is usually found in floor speakers which I guess gives a good indication of what they were looking to achieve - floor speakers for your head - lol.

The thing with the SZ cans is the stock sound signature is relatively tame and less bassy than something like the M-Audio Q40's stock signature, but the SZ's have amazing response to EQ, so much so that it can EQ bass harder than you could comfortably enjoy it for any prolonged period of time - the headphones literally vibrate your head into a jelly :D

Sennheiser make claim of their new urbanite's as having "massive bass", but massive bass to one man like you have already pointed out, is different from one person to another, as exampled with the SZ headphones, you may find your ideal bass level with the urbanites with applying EQ to it - or not.

LOL :D http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1187717/sennheiser-urbanite-massive-bass/

Not sure what size drivers are in the on-ears or XL Urbanite models?

Which one out the two appeals to you at the moment?

These models of urbanites interest me for various reasons as for one, Sennheiser are a prestigious company with a solid record of producing world class healphones, two, it's a bass orientated headphone, which is a preference to me in general but not exclusively and three, Sennheiser are unashamedly going for beats mass market which is the largest market for headphones there is, so you would expect Sennheiser to have spent quite some time in developing it as it may well be their most important model in their long history despite it appearing to the audiophile community that they are dumbing down and going mainstream with this model.

Very significant and interesting for sure :cool:

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #125 of 446
I nominate these headphones as the ugliest/cheapest looking ones that have come out this year if not in the past few years by a major company. And I don't even usually comment on the looks of headphones...

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #126 of 446
  I nominate these headphones as the ugliest/cheapest looking ones that have come out this year if not in the past few years by a major company. And I don't even usually comment on the looks of headphones...

I think Denon have easily beaten Sennheiser if we consider the past couple of years. (IMO of course)

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #128 of 446
They seem to bring forth a lot of sneezing from the Beat Haters. Considering the evolvement of the Beats Company, this might be a promising sign for Sennheiser :wink:

Amen to that :beerchug: :deadhorse:

If these urbanite cans prove to be very good - it'll probably take someone like Tyll Hertsens to say so before most of the audio community take any notice though unfortunately - this is exactly what it took for the beats solo2 to get folks to sit up and pay attention to what some (haters) may call "the inconvenient truth". :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1186815/beats-solo2-navy-blue-grey-black-and-red/

I'm genuinely looking forward to checking what these urbanites sound like for sure :)

Original Momentum have plastic cups, and I don't need to say they are well regarded.

+1 @Saoshyant

Yeah, I've the over ears version of this can and they are also well regarded by me, however, just by watching the various urbanite review videos, you can hear the clunking of the plastic earcups rattling when reviewers move the cans around/fold them up etc.

This is not something you get with the Momentums albeit they are a fixed design that doesn't fold up into a smaller form like the urbanites.

I guess checking the urbanites personally with a pair in front of yourself will determine how much earcup rattle is a problem or not.
http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1186961/beats-studio-2-0-2013-sennheiser-momentum-over-ear/

My BIGGEST concern over the Urbanite's for me, is whether or not Sennheiser can genuinely...

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1186008/extreme-bass-club-drop-the-bass/

:D Massive LOL,LULZ etc :rolleyes:

'citing though innit? :)

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #129 of 446
Subbed.

I'd love a portable bass-emphasized over ear can for those times I'm away from my vintage amps. The XL may make the grade as on ear is a no go for me.

Sennheiser can do bass - they proved it with the HD7, which I sent back because it was TOO Bassy which is hard to fathom even now.

What is exciting for me is the volume of new cans coming out. The Sony Z7 is in my sights and I'm sure more manufacturers are responding. Now if Denon comes out with a new line...........

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #130 of 446
Subbed.

I'd love a portable bass-emphasized over ear can for those times I'm away from my vintage amps. The XL may make the grade as on ear is a no go for me.

Sennheiser can do bass - they proved it with the HD7, which I sent back because it was TOO Bassy which is hard to fathom even now.

What is exciting for me is the volume of new cans coming out. The Sony Z7 is in my sights and I'm sure more manufacturers are responding. Now if Denon comes out with a new line...........

I like your train of thought 
wink.gif

I've the HD8 DJ's and they rock and are beautifully built and are an all metal design pretty much.

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1112781/a/874680/sennheiser-hd8-dj/

The HD8 DJ's are actually a Extreme Bass Club recommended headphone and have been bass/paper tested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/1545#post_10766041

The HD7 DJ's aren't listed on the EBC rec list, as we only put up cans that we can provide a visual demonstration with via video and no members own that particular model to provide such 
frown.gif

I'm excited by all these new breed of headcans coming out too - it keeps things fresh and as the beats solo2 has proved - shows manufacturers have to continuously keep improving all aspects of their respective new designs and styles of HP's for the betterment of all consumers, whether that be the audiophile community or general mass market - its all good in the hood 
beerchug.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #131 of 446
Everything about them speak that these are geared towards people who want the Beats sound signature but under a more respectable brand name.  Too early to judge..but something tells me Sennheiser lowered their standards to gain some more market share.    p.s  IMO these 'phones look a bit... ugly. 

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #132 of 446
  Everything about them speak that these are geared towards people who want the Beats sound signature but under a more respectable brand name.  Too early to judge..but something tells me Sennheiser lowered their standards to gain some more market share.    p.s  IMO these 'phones look a bit... ugly. 

Wait, are you referring to the old and horrible Beats sound signature, or the new and much more appreciated Beats sound signature?

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #133 of 446
Well, I know the solo2 or whatever it's name is turned Tyll's ear, but I haven't looked into any others. Are other beats starting to show that level of quality, or are we hoping that headphone is a sign of things to come?

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #134 of 446
Well, I know the solo2 or whatever it's name is turned Tyll's ear, but I haven't looked into any others. Are other beats starting to show that level of quality, or are we hoping that headphone is a sign of things to come?

New Studio are ameliorating… and @cb3723 can talk about some MixR or Pro or any other that seem to be at least "good" headphones.

Quote:

BTW, I think Beats, regardless of their tuning, are a well respected brand name. If not, Apple would not have paid more than $3G to acquire it!
And if Sennheiser gears their Urbanite towards "the new Beats", well, that cannot be a bad thing. That's marketing. You MUST have a product to compete your competitors. Let's just hope they won't stop producing HD600 and up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back