Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Sep 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #136 of 446
If you think about it, it's really interesting timing for Senn to be targeting the Beats market as 'lifestyle brand' Apple breaks in... perhaps they think AppleBeats will move more in the lifestyle direction, and want to undercut that market with cheaper options.

I just want some users to get pairs and start doing comparisons to the Solo 2, Momentum, and XS. Initial sound impressions compare them to the Momentum or greater, so it could concievably knock all three off Tyll's wall due to the low price.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #138 of 446
  If you think about it, it's really interesting timing for Senn to be targeting the Beats market as 'lifestyle brand' Apple breaks in... perhaps they think AppleBeats will move more in the lifestyle direction, and want to undercut that market with cheaper options.

I just want some users to get pairs and start doing comparisons to the Solo 2, Momentum, and XS. Initial sound impressions compare them to the Momentum or greater, so it could concievably knock all three off Tyll's wall due to the low price.

Thinksound On1 monitor may knock all three off before hand and these new Urbanite's will have to be amazing to beat the On1's (IMO) 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1100331/a/874680/thinksound-on1-monitor/

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #139 of 446
  Thinksound On1 monitor may knock all three off before hand and these new Urbanite's will have to be amazing to beat the On1's (IMO) 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1100331/a/874680/thinksound-on1-monitor/

Does the On1 monitor has the same sidebands as the original Bose OE?!

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #141 of 446
I'm not familiar with that model of Bose, so unfortunately can't give you an answer on it
frown.gif

From your pics they do look very similar though.

Headbands, sidebands, pivots and arc on the cups strangely resemble. I don't think original OE was a success, maybe they bought Bose's overstock!

But I was completely out of topic with that, so I will say that the more I look at Urbanite line, the less I think they're that ugly (except the blue-red-white). They have a little something that is actually appealing (the sand one).

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #142 of 446
I'd give the olive a go, myself. I want to hear reviews, and let some of our resident bassheads at it.

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #144 of 446
Headbands, sidebands, pivots and arc on the cups strangely resemble. I don't think original OE was a success, maybe they bought Bose's overstock!

But I was completely out of topic with that, so I will say that the more I look at Urbanite line, the less I think they're that ugly (except the blue-red-white). They have a little something that is actually appealing (the sand one).

I doubt that highly - if you say the Bose OE's weren't successful, I'm guessing a big part of that was that it didn't sound too good?

The Thinksound On1's sound fantastic and perhaps are the best sounding closed back portable I've owned or heard - even better than the solo2's, but they are more expensive than the solo2's and new Urbanite on ears, unless On1's price has lowered since I got mine, so it's all relative in that respect I guess.

The On1"s reclaimed wood and organic approach may not to be everyone's taste but when you actually hear them, for me, I didn't give a schiit what they looked like as they sound so good, not that I dislike their look - I actually appreciate the wood earcups and overall look, but IMO, the Thinksound On1's are class leaders of closed back on ear portable headphones - I've not heard any better in that category - maybe the Urbanites could change my opinion - I'll have to wait and see :wink:

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #145 of 446
Tyll has gotten the urbanites and urbanite XL. he says they look better in person than in the pics. if they are really that good, i may buy one pair, though this year i have already bought way more gear than i intended too already.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #146 of 446
Thanks for the heads-up on the KEF M500's.

Nuts = very, very good :beerchug:
Definitely maybe, but you're right in thinkin some bro's here are getting full on rustled over the Urb's already :)
Bro...that was beautiful...it's like you read my mind then threw it on the internets..

Are U psychic or something?

Don't hold out on me now bro :basshead:

ps did you return my brofist earlier? I deffo didn't feel the return vibe :confused:
"don't get rustled, get urbanite" or "do U even urbanite Bro?"

Either one of the above could be Sennheiser's new logo - I'd let them use them too :cool:
:D
www.rustledjimmies.com

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #147 of 446
I was rather surprised by these models at IFA, expecting something like a Momentum XL instead... The urbanites were obviously their big thing, with many of their staff wearing them around their neck at the booth. While they do look much better in reality than on the photos I did not find them interesting enough to give them a listen though...

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #148 of 446
www.rustledjimmies.com

massive lol 
biggrin.gif

I was rather surprised by these models at IFA, expecting something like a Momentum XL instead... The urbanites were obviously their big thing, with many of their staff wearing them around their neck at the booth. While they do look much better in reality than on the photos I did not find them interesting enough to give them a listen though...

What was the first thing that came into your mind when you saw them bro?

I've only seen pics and viddies of them here, not in the flesh like you, but first thing that popped into my mind was - Sennheiser's clear take on beats - and quite unashamedly too 
basshead.gif

Did you get that vibe being up close and personal to them in the flesh and did they look cheap, look cool around the neck of staff etc?

They should have given you a free pair just cos you were there - and I'd have bought em off you 
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

What do you think your chances would have been to have 'borrowed' the Z7's without anyone noticing before you'd have got to the door (lol
biggrin.gif
) - did they have multiple sets for people to try?

Really interesting you mention these (urbanite) look better in reality than photos too - I'm quite looking forward to checking them in person myself, more so now 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #149 of 446

Here's a better image for you all. I think they look pretty amazing the more you look at them and the Denim rocks. The Urbanite is available very imminently in the UK and XL later this month according to Sennheiser.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #150 of 446

My first, admittedly rather elitist though was: oh, consumer headphones.

Those of the staff I saw wearing them had the smaller on-ear version and that looked OK. Can't tell about the XLs, though they don't look that massive that they might pose a problem around the neck (which *is* a necessity for something to be worn on the street, not because one would wear them as decoration, but because you sometimes have to take them off but don't want to carry them in hand).

I don't think they had a cheap look to them, though I prefer muted color schemes (color does not matter as long as its black...) and the extension mechanism gives them a rather distinct shape (which fits the XL better I think).

While I was there I did not try them out... as I said I own too much headphones already, have a different taste than Sennheiser engineers (e.g. the Momentum was much too warm to me, I prefer the DT1350 to the HD25 and have a strained relationship with the HD800...) and was actually on my way to the Beyerdynamic booth :wink: Nevertheless I'd have secured one for you had they been giving them away.

Sony had several Z7 on display, they seemed important to them together with the amp and cable. Each part was secured with thin metal wires, even the cable... they shure know their fair visitors. Items do get stolen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back