Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos.
Sep 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

Hawaiiancerveza

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I am looking to see what kind of desktop amps there are about 1k and less that are power houses.  Besides the Schiit Lyr amp.  It can be a dac/amp combo or just a dedicated amp.  I currently just got the NFB-5 but in the future I'd like to upgrade.  

What are some power house amp/dacs?

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 81
Well I'll be upgrading to the LCD-2 most likely.  I have heard that the NFB-5 is good enough for it but not to many people have said it was just one.  I guess I'd like to have both.  But I still haven't tested the NFB-5.  Im suck in school and its sitting in its package on my bed for me when I get home.  

Quote:
The point is that are you happy with NFB-5  or do you need more quantity vs quality? Maybe a different headphone might be a better choice.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 81
HeadAmp GS-1.  Fantastic solid state amp, particularly in its price category.  Very neutral, uncolored, and black (in a good way).

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/headamp/gs1.html
http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gs1/index.htm

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 81
If you going to spend $1k, you may as well move up a little bit to $1500. That will give you many more options. The under $1k space is tough. I haven't heard anything under $1k that's really made me go "wow!"

I know there are a lot of fans of A-GD stuff, but everything I've heard from them, outside of their TOTL DACs, has left me wanting.

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 81

Quote:
And using this advice - after moving up to $1500... $2000, why not

Because I feel the $1000-$1500 range is sort of a sweet spot where you get a notable improvement from the sub $1000 amps. The next jump would be > $2200.

Quote:
What do you need all that power for?  Power does not equal quality.

I'm thinking in "powerhouse", he's referring to quality too, not just quantity.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 81
The Burson Audio HA-160D looks good.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 81

Quote:
The Burson Audio HA-160D looks good.

I was looking at that also.  Thanks!

Quote:
Because I feel the $1000-$1500 range is sort of a sweet spot where you get a notable improvement from the sub $1000 amps. The next jump would be > $2200.

I'm thinking in "powerhouse", he's referring to quality too, not just quantity.

Ya I'd like it to be strong enough to drive the LCD-2 or the He-500.  I do mean both.  Thats why I said besides the LYR.  I know its a power house but I'd like it to do both as in quality and driving power.  =)  

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 81

Gee, That is a bit pricey does have a few options to choice from.

Quote:
How about the Isabellina?  I know there is the Isabellina HPA but that might be just a little out of my range at the moment.  IF I save up I might as well go for the Audez ALO pack.  But the Isabellina looks quiet tempting...

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #14 of 81
Ya the Isabellina is a little cheaper. I was just throwing the Audez alo pack out there.  I most likely wouldn't get it unless I was set in a really good job.  But since I'm still a college student I'll go for something a little cheaper like perhaps the Burson 160D or the isabellina.  

Quote:
Gee, That is a bit pricey does have a few options to choice from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back