Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos.
Sep 29, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #76 of 81
I think I will go for the NFB-10SE.  I just need to sell my NFB-5 now...lol  

Quote:
A simple answer might be, if you like what you already have now, would be to upgrade, as I just saw there is a new version of the NFB-10, if you don't mind re-terminating your headphones.

It's a pity you can't visit the mainland USA or even Japan for a visit, as you could go to a meet and try a lot of gear.

Uncle Erik: Interesting points about tube hybrids. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #78 of 81

is that good?  
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:
Holly smokes, the NFB-10SE has a very high parts count.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #79 of 81

It should sound good. The volume control uses four stacks of resistors controlled by relays. Quite a few voltage regulators. More  transistors on the  board more than I usually see in units of this type. Just that their design viewpoint is to use as many parts as needed as compared to some designers using the minimal viewpoint. Nothing wrong just different viewpoints for design. I never heard this unit so I can not comment on its sound.  It seems to have good power spec for ouput and low intro price.

Quote:
is that good?  
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #80 of 81

Quote:
Hmmm... I hope I don't have that problem.  I used to work with a company called Water Resources here in Hawaii.  The diesel engine we worked with and power tools were loud but...I didn't work with them long term due to medical conditions.  So..I'm assuming it didn't affect my hearing.  Hard labor jobs are awesome.  I like them to stay in shape but meh... seems like I need to stop gaining strength and start using my brain more.  

I hear you. I've been such an animal on job sights all these years, but time is catching up on me. Working close to 20 yr without hearing protection didn't help. I had a great hearing test a while ago, but this year saw a noticeable hf loss, and a raging tinnitus that doesn't go away--ever.

I'm hoping to make it to the Bay Area meet early next year, as my next upgrades are such that I want to do auditions first. 

Looks like the NFB10SE is starting to get some positive comments, and a higher level amp/dac should scale well with your contemplated headphone upgrade. 

One thing to think about is you won't loose any money keeping the NFB5 just long enough to find out what its all about. In the process you'll also come closer to understanding what you want in terms of sound.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #81 of 81
Thats true.  I know I would like to get the NFB-10se.  I figured I'd trade in the NFB-5 for the NFB-10se.  I'm using the HE-4 at the moment and I need to turn the volume to at least 11 o'clock to get it loud enough to where I don't want it any much louder.  Oh ya on high gain too.  I read that it sounds just like the "fun" and the NFB-10se is a step up.  I'd hope that it could push the LCD-2 when I get it in the near future and the cost I paid for the NFB-5 with the 2 OPA's would only be about $60 difference when I can get the power and balance too.  Its a nice price for what its doing.  But thats just things I've considered with that amp.  The suggestions on here are helpful also and I still have some time before I make my LCD-2 purchase.  

That sucks about your hearing.  I know we never wore ear protection when I was working hard labor.  I know things can get really loud. I hope the tinnitus can be resolved.  

For now I'll keep the NFB-5 and just appreciate what I have until I feel the itch to upgrade...haha unless my wife smacks the up gratis out of me...lol  But any suggestion is being taken to heart.  

Quote:

I hear you. I've been such an animal on job sights all these years, but time is catching up on me. Working close to 20 yr without hearing protection didn't help. I had a great hearing test a while ago, but this year saw a noticeable hf loss, and a raging tinnitus that doesn't go away--ever.

I'm hoping to make it to the Bay Area meet early next year, as my next upgrades are such that I want to do auditions first. 

Looks like the NFB10SE is starting to get some positive comments, and a higher level amp/dac should scale well with your contemplated headphone upgrade. 

One thing to think about is you won't loose any money keeping the NFB5 just long enough to find out what its all about. In the process you'll also come closer to understanding what you want in terms of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back