post pics of your headphone set up and listening area
Mar 8, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #5,776 of 6,467
Right now the RSA Stealth is doing duty as my main preamp, as the Cary is on it's way to Cary to be repaired
frown.gif
Funny thing is the Stealth sounds almost as good as the Cary does, at 25% of the price.

When the Cary comes back, there will be another great amp shuffling
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #5,778 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was afraid of placing them this way because of the asymmetrical room, but it works better than anticipated. Have no problems at all with how it's set up. I have all kinds of wierd shapes in the house that you don't see on the picture (a 4 meter high ceiling in the middle... it's a loft) so there's not much I can do to fix it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice setup!

Nonsense, to the cries of necessarily bad imaging in a room like yours! Firstly, those Tannoy dual-concentrics have a more narrow dispersion than traditional speakers, which keeps the sweet spot less tainted by room effects. They're not as good for listening out of sweet-spot, but who would do that?
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, call me crazy, but believe there is some correlation between how aesthetically pleasing a room is, and how good it sounds. Your room is lovely. Sure there will be asymmetry in the first reflection, but that asymmetry could also help dissipate bass modes. You (ideally) want to damp the first reflection points anyways! From the midrange and up, you should be hearing primary direct sound from the speakers.

Your setup looks very reasonable, but you might experiment with distances - distance from speaker to front wall, and distance from seating to speaker. That can help you determine the optimal balance between bass and imaging.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #5,779 of 6,467
First go at a headphone setup:

P1010489.jpg

My other two headphones are out of the picture and I'm saving up for some Dynaudio studio monitors to replace those Blose PC speakers.

Bill

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #5,780 of 6,467
Here's my current set-up, but it's cluttered.

attachment.php

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #5,781 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How could you see her name from that distance?? -or did you see my Hayley obsession in Webshots
tongue.gif
lol

...so Hayley scores another fan, great! I agree, her voice is amazing.

Had a listen to some of here stuff, i'm quite impressed. Got a few of her albums on my amazon wish list now :p

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #5,783 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by teishu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had a listen to some of here stuff, i'm quite impressed. Got a few of her albums on my amazon wish list now :p

Hayley is, without a doubt, my favorite female artist.

Hayley is in the beginning stages for her next CD...I will be on the pre-order list for sure. The last 3 of Hayley's CD I bought from CDJapan, not cheap either, but well worth it.

Here is 6 out of my 11 releases on CD:

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

At the age of 12, Hayley recorded her first demo CD which was limited to 70 copies, then later an additional 1,000 copies were pressed. Still this is a rare CD.

Below you can see some of her CDs, including her first "Walking In The Air" (bottom left). Just one year later,"Hayley Westenra"(her first studio recording) and "My Gift To You" were recorded.

I recommend buying her first two studio CDs last because her voice had not reached a mature, honed level. Her CD "Pure" is where I recommend starting. There are different versions for many of her CD releases,depending on the country...it's confusing. Also be aware of her DVD "Live From New Zealand" which is a must have for a Hayley fan.

2515677900044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

[size=x-small]...sorry for posting so much stuff[/size]

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #5,785 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, i jsut went and checked her out in wikipedia, theres so many versions of Pure, which one is a man to get?? lol thats crazy, i could understand maybe a different bonus track for japan or something, but thats a little overboard

Yeah, it's very confusing. I bought my copy of Pure from cduniverse.com which was a British import version having a bonus CD.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #5,787 of 6,467
Being half way around the world from my main headphone rig has some pleasant surprises.
Till I get back to PDX, this is my current listening setup.

My first ever DIY project.

An active 3 way speaker system.

Drivers are :
Vifa D27 tweeters
Scan Speak 13M/8640 paper cone midrange drivers
Dayton 10 inch classic woofers

7 channels of gainclone amplification
and 3 way active xover which is housed inside the amplifier chassis (Linkwitz 24dB/octave).
picture005qs.jpg

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #5,789 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-small]...sorry for posting so much stuff[/size]

Pure is just beautiful, gives me goosebumps when I listen to it - definitely one of my favourites.

I didnt know she had those 'sings japanese songs'; I'm going to check them out!

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #5,790 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pure is just beautiful, gives me goosebumps when I listen to it - definitely one of my favourites.

I didnt know she had those 'sings japanese songs'; I'm going to check them out!

Sooo many of her songs give me goosebumps...listening with my JVC-WOW!

I bought those "Sings Japanese Songs" from cdjapan. They were expensive but good stuff.
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back