post pics of your headphone set up and listening area
Mar 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #5,791 of 6,467
Wuthering Heights is so bad by Hayley Westenra.....

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #5,793 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being half way around the world from my main headphone rig has some pleasant surprises.
Till I get back to PDX, this is my current listening setup.

My first ever DIY project.

An active 3 way speaker system.

Drivers are :
Vifa D27 tweeters
Scan Speak 13M/8640 paper cone midrange drivers
Dayton 10 inch classic woofers

7 channels of gainclone amplification
and 3 way active xover which is housed inside the amplifier chassis (Linkwitz 24dB/octave).

I don't really know what Gainclone amplification is except for some minor googling, but it sounds quite awesome.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #5,794 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now the RSA Stealth is doing duty as my main preamp, as the Cary is on it's way to Cary to be repaired
frown.gif
Funny thing is the Stealth sounds almost as good as the Cary does, at 25% of the price.

When the Cary comes back, there will be another great amp shuffling
biggrin.gif

I loved my Stealth as a preamp. Best my speaker setup ever sounded.
wink_face.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #5,795 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sooo many of her songs give me goosebumps...listening with my JVC-WOW!

I bought those "Sings Japanese Songs" from cdjapan. They were expensive but good stuff.
darthsmile.gif

cheers for the link! and its not that expensive (before postage) compared to aussie cd prices.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #5,796 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wuthering Heights is so bad by Hayley Westenra.....

I disagree, i thought it was very good.. I prefer it to the Kate Bush version... And here cover of May It Be, is fantastic.

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #5,797 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really know what Gainclone amplification is except for some minor googling, but it sounds quite awesome.

It can be awesome when well implemented on a good board. Just MHO, but Audio Sector's PCBs and kits for gainclones are the best out for the DIY'er.

I am biased though. I have two of his gainclone kits, two of his phono stage boards, his NOS USB DAC kit and (24) of his F5-clone amp PCBs as well as a dozen of his PS PCBs in different formats.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #5,798 of 6,467
Quote:

Gainclone is the cmoy of speaker amps.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #5,799 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those speakers came out very nice! Congratulations.

Thanks Miguel.

Quote:

Thanks...gainclone amps are also called chip amps and are a stepping stone to speaker amps. They sound quite decent

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be awesome when well implemented on a good board. Just MHO, but Audio Sector's PCBs and kits for gainclones are the best out for the DIY'er.

I am biased though. I have two of his gainclone kits, two of his phono stage boards, his NOS USB DAC kit and (24) of his F5-clone amp PCBs as well as a dozen of his PS PCBs in different formats.

All the amp boards i have used are from audiosector, however the PSU could be made much better as i am running a simple unregulated PSU with only stiffening caps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gainclone is the cmoy of speaker amps.

I suppose in a way they are....i find them better than most amplifier modules built into HT receivers. They aren't suited for low freqs..a class D (hypex) or N channel Mosfet Class AB amp would be much better in my setup. A SET amp for the mids and tweeters is on the cards in the long term.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #5,800 of 6,467
It's been a while since I took pictures of my setup. No big changes for a long time. New DAC and slight modifications to acoustic panels on the wall. Sorry for the crappy quality of the pics.

setti_1024.jpg

setti3_1024.jpg

I keep my DAC next to my integrated amp and I have it connected to Lehmann BCL with three meter long QED Qunex 2 interconnect cables. That's why the second picture might look like something's missing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #5,801 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been a while since I took pictures of my setup. No big changes for a long time. New DAC and slight modifications to acoustic panels on the wall. Sorry for the crappy quality of the pics.

Nice set-up. Love the Proac monitors. You must be single. My wife would never let me hang acoustic panels.
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5,802 of 6,467
image-F8A6_4B8E8C2F.jpg

image-016C_4B8E8C2F.jpg

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #5,804 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice set-up. Love the Proac monitors. You must be single. My wife would never let me hang acoustic panels.
redface.gif

Thanks. Yes I'm single. My apartment is 24 square meters so it would get tight if I'd live here with someone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome setup Patu, love the ProAc's.

Thanks. Ebony finishing is truly awesome looking. I had the same speakers earlier in birds eye maple. From the beginning I was looking for them used in ebony finishing. When they finally came available on the used market in ebony finishing, I didn't hesitate. Actually I got very good deal.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #5,805 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

setti_1024.jpg

setti3_1024.jpg

I keep my DAC next to my integrated amp and I have it connected to Lehmann BCL with three meter long QED Qunex 2 interconnect cables. That's why the second picture might look like something's missing.
smily_headphones1.gif

love your proac. I really like the bigger proac monitor (2cu meter one) with the transparent midrange driver; those are pretty magical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back