Post pics of your builds....
May 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #7,939 of 9,811
Does it matter if my "build" is not related to headphones or audio
confused_face_2.gif

May 12, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #7,940 of 9,811
 Hi all, I just wanted to show off some photos of my AMB M³ and σ11 Build. I finished it literally a couple of hours ago :)

It's a standard build with simple case work;

-Vishay Dale CMF Resistors
-Nichicon PW Electrolytic Capacitors
-Wima Film Capacitors
-Analog Devices AD8610 Op-Amps (Aries Electronics Adaptors)
-Alps RK27 Potentiometer
-Neutrik Gold Plated Phono Connectors
-Neutrik Locking 1/4" phone jack
-Hammond 1455T2201BK Enclosure
-Eagle Plastic Devices Brushed Aluminium Volume knob
-Perforated Aluminium lid to aid cooling (an idea I shamlessly stole from darkisz's build in the M³ build gallery!)
-24V σ11 PSU

It has a gain of 5 for my Grado Labs SR225i, which works well as I find 9 o'clock on the volume knob makes for a comfortable listening level.

Many here are familiar with just how good the M³ sounds, and I think it goes somewhat against the DIY ethos to make subjective comments, so I'll simply say it sounds amazing and I'm blown away by the sound quality it provides! :D

Of course, it doesn't stop here... The next project is the AMB y2 :wink:

May 12, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #7,941 of 9,811
nice job!! one thing; if those are your only cans, or main cans, you might want to look at reducing the gain, you will be giving up some dynamic range and adding resistor noise that need not be there listening at 9 oclock the whole time. gain should be designed so that your main listening level is at least 12 oclock and i generally go for 2-3 oclock, just so that there is a little bit of extra in case of low level recordings. its an easy operation to change the gain if you end up getting less efficient cans

May 12, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #7,942 of 9,811
Thanks for the suggestion, qusp. I also have the Sennheiser HD 650, and while I will be using the M³ mainly with the Grado's, I wanted some flexibility to use this amp with different phones. I do find myself infatuated with the Grado sound at the moment, so if I end up using them solely, I may do as you recommend.

May 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #7,944 of 9,811

Quote:

If you think other people will think its interesting, Id like to see it :) 

Well, its actually a piece of furniture
biggrin.gif

I will probably post a pic tomorrow if I can charge my ancient camera.

May 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #7,945 of 9,811

Quote:
 Hi all, I just wanted to show off some photos of my AMB M³ and σ11 Build. I finished it literally a couple of hours ago :)

It's a standard build with simple case work;

-Vishay Dale CMF Resistors
-Nichicon PW Electrolytic Capacitors
-Wima Film Capacitors
-Analog Devices AD8610 Op-Amps (Aries Electronics Adaptors)
-Alps RK27 Potentiometer
-Neutrik Gold Plated Phono Connectors
-Neutrik Locking 1/4" phone jack
-Hammond 1455T2201BK Enclosure
-Eagle Plastic Devices Brushed Aluminium Volume knob
-Perforated Aluminium lid to aid cooling (an idea I shamlessly stole from darkisz's build in the M³ build gallery!)
-24V σ11 PSU

It has a gain of 5 for my Grado Labs SR225i, which works well as I find 9 o'clock on the volume knob makes for a comfortable listening level.

Many here are familiar with just how good the M³ sounds, and I think it goes somewhat against the DIY ethos to make subjective comments, so I'll simply say it sounds amazing and I'm blown away by the sound quality it provides! :D

Of course, it doesn't stop here... The next project is the AMB y2 :wink:

Congrats jr41! You should bring them along to the next meet! :D

May 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #7,947 of 9,811
Here's a super cool CTH RevA.

It's special on several levels.  I built it for my brother, who left for Afghanistan this morning.  I hope he gets a chance now and then to enjoy some good tunes, roll some tubes and take the edge off.  What really makes this build unique is that some fellow head-fiers from the CTH thread found out what I was up to and donated key components. How cool is that!  My brother was truly touched when I presented it to him and he learned that members here contributed.

BK

---------------

A very dense board!

A few botique parts.

Some creative wiring and initial power-up.  Sounds sweet!

Some size perspective?

Packed up for transit, with thanks to the contributors.  Mil-spec CTH, aka the "chill" kit!

May 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #7,949 of 9,811
My brother asked for a conversation piece. I settled on Roger Gomez's NP-100v12 because a) I wanted a tube amp, b) I seemed like a good project to learn to etch PCBs, c) why not learn to plastic solvent weld at the same time. Here is what I settled on. I'm pretty happy with it. The amp was very sensitive to noise from a power supply despite a LM317 supply I added to the circuit. I ended up air wiring a few more filtering capacitors to bring the noise floor down to very acceptable levels. The little LED board I added I thought was a fun way to spice it up.

Initial testing:

All cased up:

May 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #7,950 of 9,811
Thought you already had a CTH at your disposal. Oh wait it's in the background :wink:

So now that you have 2 12au7 based hybrid amps... the question of the hour is... what sounds better the CTH Rev A or the NP-100v12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back