Post pics of your builds....
May 18, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #7,951 of 9,811

Quote:

So now that you have 2 12au7 based hybrid amps... the question of the hour is... what sounds better the CTH Rev A or the NP-100v12?

Hmmm, I don't like making too many comparsions.  Both amps are great.  The NP-100v12 can't drive 600 ohm Beyers well, but it does really great with my ER-6 and RE-0.  The CTH drives my Beyers but I prefer the NP-100v12 for my IEMs.  I think perhaps because the NP is bass heavy with my setup, so it's a good match for IEMs.  I have been listening to the NP-100v12 as it settles in so I can set the tube bais, etc, before I send it off to my brother and I have to say it's a very fun amp.  I find myself head bobbing as I type emails.  The CTH has more power, more detail, more refined.  The CTH cost is also 4 or 5 times the NP-100v12.  So, they are both awesome to me.  Both have the tube sound, both are affected greatly by the tube you put in it.  The NP-100v12 is pretty sensitive to the power supply and you hear hiss if you're not careful.  The NP-100v12 is easier to build for sure.

May 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #7,953 of 9,811
Civilmonkey: I hadn't heard of the NP-100v12. Would you mind if I ask you about how much it took to get one up and running? It looks like a nice alternative to the Starving Student. Where did you wire in the extra capacitors?

Lil'Knight: that thing is a beast. What is it?

May 19, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #7,962 of 9,811
It turns toroidal transformers into hot coils of burnt copper       -       sometimes    -     for some people.

Lil Knight, fortune favours the brave.

The harder you work at it, the luckier you seem to get.....

May 19, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #7,963 of 9,811
Ok John, I admit I was too optimistic. It's 1/5 way through the PSU :xf_eek:

I think I have enough spare parts to build 3 PSUs, if one burnt, there'd be another one ready to burn :D

I'm stuck with these for the next couple of months. Would take quite some time to finish the casework.

May 19, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #7,965 of 9,811

Quote:
Civilmonkey: I hadn't heard of the NP-100v12. Would you mind if I ask you about how much it took to get one up and running? It looks like a nice alternative to the Starving Student. Where did you wire in the extra capacitors?

I think the diyaudio webpage for it says $50 if you go barebones, not including PS.  I'm sure spent more.  The parts list is quite simple.  You need to feed it a clean ripple free 12.6 volts, so if you read the diyaudio forum you'll see some people had to try many different 13V printer and/or laptop supplies to find one that didn't hum/hiss.  I tried to skip that so I built a LM317 regulator, but I still needed more filtering (I think maybe because it was my first PCB layout so likely lots of issues).  I literally turned on the amp and connected various capacitors by hand (GND to Input Volts, and GND to regulated 12.6 volts) and when I found one that eliminated the hiss I soldered it on.  I can't recommend this method just incase a discharging capactor blows another componet up, but it worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back