Post pics of your builds....
May 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #7,922 of 9,811
I got my electrical and computer engineering degrees in 1982 and I look at some of the builds shown here, and wonder how so many of you can call your builds and wonder how you call some of them "hi-end  "hi-end"? Especially some of the cmoy amps.

But then I look at what's inside of them and feel humbled by the changes made since 1982 and now. It's exponential. I have been with Head-Fi since inception, and electronics, like many other things have grown by leaps and bounds. I see a "computer as source" and instantly dismiss them, although all my music comes from .flac/wav/aiff/and alac files that I create.
After seeing what goes into a B22, especially one from Amb, I lose my breath and need nitro pills. 
Since 1961, when I got my first 1962 cassette desk, and the Beatles White album which was recommended by the Lafayette Electronics salesman. He said, "Mark my words, this album is going somewhere.
Things have come a long way since Dos 1.0, and a guy like me in his early '50's is trying to catch up.
I went from the sharpest pencil in the box, to the pencil sharpener. I could give in and give up, but that's not what I'm made of. Things don't stick like they used to.
It's an exciting time to be in this hobby (better than scrabble and Snakes an Ladders 
evil_smiley.gif
), but it's not what we are learning in college. So I read, and read and read.

This will happen to people in their 20's, 30 years rom now. Maybe not. The thrill of the chase is fun, but we are starting on different starting lines.
So really what I'm saying is, that if a stupid question that might be obvious to you. it's because learning is a never-ending process, and take it with a grain of salt. I have let my defenses down here, and hopefully it will pay off.

Thanks for your time.
And remember, it's all about the love of the music.

Aaron

May 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #7,923 of 9,811
I would have never known you were a fellow ECE.  I'm a recent grad, and I've gain so much insight from this community, and really appreciate people's diversity that are brought to this community from what they learn from their DIY projects.  I am always learning, and there is not a point where I will stop learning.  

May 8, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #7,926 of 9,811
^ looks nice!  what is your braided cable of or what did you strip down to braid that? looks good :)

May 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #7,929 of 9,811
can anyone post a link to a full tutorial on how to build a tube amp that is cheap (preferably under 50$)? Not just a schematic but a full tutorial seeing as I don't know how to read a schematic.

May 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #7,931 of 9,811

Quote:
can anyone post a link to a full tutorial on how to build a tube amp that is cheap (preferably under 50$)? Not just a schematic but a full tutorial seeing as I don't know how to read a schematic.

Sorry but you're not really going to be able to find a build under $50 if you're starting from scratch and want tubes. You can try emulating the Bravo tube amp (which IIRC has a schematic) but no one to my knowledge has produced PCBs. If you want to DIY, be aware - DIY builds have great value but it's very difficult to save money doing one instead of a commercial build. This has been rehashed in many of the "beginner DIYer here" threads, and other people have said it better than I have. I'm not looking to discourage you but you might want to start with the process of building a CMoy to familiarize yourself with reading schematics and choosing parts.

May 10, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #7,934 of 9,811
soooo any GOOD newbie friendly DIY DAC's *optical out is a feature I really want* for around...100$? or so I can make a case....maybe out of some classy wood or Some Plexyglass/metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back