Post pics of your builds....
Apr 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7,861 of 9,811

Quote:
jantze, your build is absolutely beautiful and wonderful. I would love to build something like that one day. I saved it in my folder with other photos of builds (most of which were ferrari's builds haha)

Am I correct that one is the amp, ps, and dac?

ps, MrClean your build just makes me go woooo bc of my love for tubes.

pps, jantze what wire do you use throughout your build? just curious some looks like jumpers and small rubber coated wired and others look like sleeved wires.

I can answer the questions about Jantzes setup since I built it for him. It is in fact a B22 amp with PSU and a Buffalo II DAC. The wiring is of two different types. The power cables are made with a wire from Huber+Suhner which is covered with an insulation called Radox that looks a lot like rubber. For audio wiring its silverplated copper insulated with teflon and some wiring is sleeved as well.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #7,862 of 9,811
Are those real bulgin switches painted black, or are they one of the other generic brands? 

either way, I really want some black illuminated momentary switches - could you link me to the source? 

Quote:
I can answer the questions about Jantzes setup since I built it for him.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #7,863 of 9,811
Holy mother Jantze, what a ridiculously amazing build. I'm sure people looking in from the outside of our little hobby would be amazed that such a monstrous machine would be used to power a simple pair of headphones :wink: 

Mr. Clean, beautiful job! I encourage you to display it in the Bottlehead Forum as well, there are plenty of people there that would appreciate your hard work. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #7,864 of 9,811

Quote:
Are those real bulgin switches painted black, or are they one of the other generic brands? 

either way, I really want some black illuminated momentary switches - could you link me to the source? 

They are made by Lamptron and they can be bought from http://www.performance-pcs.com/. They are actually made from Black Polycarbonate, but they have a nice feel to them.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #7,865 of 9,811
Thanks!  Ordering now :) 

I assume, for the amb switch driver board, we would use the "always off" pins on the switch (numbers 3 and 4), and not the "always on"? 

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #7,867 of 9,811

Quote:

They are made by Lamptron and they can be bought from http://www.performance-pcs.com/. They are actually made from Black Polycarbonate, but they have a nice feel to them.

Bookmarked! Thanks! :D

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #7,870 of 9,811
Thats a thing of beauty my frnd!!!

Quote:
I took couple of pics from my set while debuggin the amp. The power button is misplaced in the DAC, but I have a new panel ready soon.

Most of the parts are from Twisted Pear Audio and AMB Laboratories. Neutrik connectors, Hi-Fi 2000 knobs and slim line cases w/ custom covers, engaved at Schaeffer.

PS:
2 x σ22 (AMB)
ε24 (AMB)
σ24 (AMB)
LCDPS (TPA)
LCBPS (TPA)
Transformers + relay

AMP:
4 x β22 (balanced, AMB)
Joshua Tree Attenuator (TPA)
Volumite Controller (TPA)
OTTO 2:1 Switch (TPA)
DIY output board w/ relays + Zobel network
2 x DIY unbalanced-> balanced converter
DIY board for Neutrik connectors w/ XLR + plug combo

DAC:
Buffalo-II DAC (TPA)
IVY-III I/V Stage (TPA)
S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver (TPA)
2 x TOSLINK Module (TPA)
USB Receiver/DAC (TPA)
LCDPS (TPA)
LCBPS (TPA)
ε24 (AMB)
σ24 (AMB)
DIY board for transformers

Set:

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #7,871 of 9,811
I just noticed is there a reason it looks as if the power text is off centered from the button. It could be my eyes or an optical illusion but was curious.

Regardless, I have said it once will say it again what a wonderful and beautiful build. The inside even looks so neat and orderly.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #7,872 of 9,811
the power text is perfectly centered - it is the power button itself on the buffalo dac that is off-center :wink: 

Quote:
I just noticed is there a reason it looks as if the power text is off centered from the button. It could be my eyes or an optical illusion but was curious.

Regardless, I have said it once will say it again what a wonderful and beautiful build. The inside even looks so neat and orderly.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #7,873 of 9,811

Yes, the button mounting hole is off center, not the text. Someone was drunk at Schaeffer that day because its perfectly centered in the software :)
Quote:
the power text is perfectly centered - it is the power button itself on the buffalo dac that is off-center :wink: 

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #7,874 of 9,811
Ah yes I did not even notice at first until was looking at it again last night and realized I needed to grab my glasses. Yeah I meant to say button (well originally meant it as the button and text seem to not be aligned) although by looking at them all on top of one another yeah they drilled the hole a little off.

Well I think it is actually cool to have a few slight imperfections. It is all about the sound anyway! I think it is neat how there are separate lights for speakers, headphones, balanced, unbalanced (if I am squinting enough to read it correctly), etc etc. Seems like an all around awesome set up. The buffalo is a neat touch as well.

Ahh look at me, I am like a kid in a candy store, just rambling away.

Austin

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #7,875 of 9,811
Thank you all for your compliments.

No more private messages, please, since I won't be reading them any more.

If you have a question, please ask it in this thread, but do not expect a quick answer from me.

MrMajestic2 was the builder and he is THE master mind of all those custom boards and clever design ideas :wink:

PS. I really stopped counting after 3500 euros, so be prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back