Post pics of your builds....
Apr 5, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #7,847 of 9,811

Quote:
Neato, Jason. :)

Care to share a scematic? Loooks like something fit for a novice.

The schematic is basically the first post of
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521457/discrete-portable-toy-amp
with R2=10k (for gain of 2), R3=680, Cin=22u,  and T7 and T8 replaced by 1N914 diodes.

Yes, I am somewhat of a novice and could do this.  However, it does appear to be quite a bit more involved than a cmoy (I haven't built a cmoy ...).    Was a lot of fun on the breadboard and to solder up.  I did a back of the envelope calculation and see that the open loop gain depends upon the phone impedance, so effectively has less feedback for lower impedance phones than it does for higher impedance phones. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #7,848 of 9,811
Bottlehead Crack.  While its not modded at all, im very happy with both the sound and the aesthetics.

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #7,852 of 9,811

Quote:
Im not running it mono, its very much in stereo.  What makes you say mono?

The picture really makes it look like the L and R signal wires are connected at the pot. I guess Its a dual layer pot and you took the pictures too perfectly perpendicular to the board! ha, my bad.

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #7,853 of 9,811
I took couple of pics from my set while debuggin the amp. The power button is misplaced in the DAC, but I have a new panel ready soon.

Most of the parts are from Twisted Pear Audio and AMB Laboratories. Neutrik connectors, Hi-Fi 2000 knobs and slim line cases w/ custom covers, engaved at Schaeffer.

PS:
2 x σ22 (AMB)
ε24 (AMB)
σ24 (AMB)
LCDPS (TPA)
LCBPS (TPA)
Transformers + relay

AMP:
4 x β22 (balanced, AMB)
Joshua Tree Attenuator (TPA)
Volumite Controller (TPA)
OTTO 2:1 Switch (TPA)
DIY output board w/ relays + Zobel network
2 x DIY unbalanced-> balanced converter
DIY board for Neutrik connectors w/ XLR + plug combo

DAC:
Buffalo-II DAC (TPA)
IVY-III I/V Stage (TPA)
S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver (TPA)
2 x TOSLINK Module (TPA)
USB Receiver/DAC (TPA)
LCDPS (TPA)
LCBPS (TPA)
ε24 (AMB)
σ24 (AMB)
DIY board for transformers

Set:

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #7,859 of 9,811
jantze, your build is absolutely beautiful and wonderful. I would love to build something like that one day. I saved it in my folder with other photos of builds (most of which were ferrari's builds haha)

Am I correct that one is the amp, ps, and dac?

ps, MrClean your build just makes me go woooo bc of my love for tubes.

pps, jantze what wire do you use throughout your build? just curious some looks like jumpers and small rubber coated wired and others look like sleeved wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back