Post pics of your builds....
Mar 19, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #7,833 of 9,811
thats a beautiful Bottlehead amp HiGHFLYiN9, nice choice in components, such a pity nobody makes an attractive locking phono, imo it looks pretty average and is not up to the quality of the rest of your build, but there arent many/any other options

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #7,834 of 9,811

Quote:
thats a beautiful Bottlehead amp HiGHFLYiN9, nice choice in components, such a pity nobody makes an attractive locking phono, imo it looks pretty average and is not up to the quality of the rest of your build, but there arent many/any other options

The best I found was a combo 1/4 inch/XLR connector from neutrik - from mouser it's part number 568-NCJ9FI-V. The body is black and it has a silver locking tab. IMO definitely looks better than that red tab. You can see it here, it matches the lcd connector very nicely!

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #7,835 of 9,811
Thanks gents, I appreciate the compliments. There was definitely a little bit of shoehorning in order. I'd imagine a little bit of vinyl dye and reverse mounting the Neutrik may make it a little more tasteful, I may have to try that on the next build :wink:

That combo connector does look nice. I invested in a die cut for the Neutrik locking connector, so I'll likely continue to use it for the time being. Those little buggers aren't cheap :p

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #7,836 of 9,811
After trolling this site for few months I decided to get headphones ATH - M50 (for now) and build an amplifier. I know that 32 ohm phones are not the best with Bijou but the combo sounds quite good to me.

The Bijou

testing output caps

under hood

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #7,838 of 9,811

Quote:
^ You've added some extra glass. What tweaks have you made?

Two of those tubes are not connected, I wanted "upside down V" look but that would make boards very close together so I decided to get some sockets and use up couple of old tubes just for the show.
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #7,843 of 9,811
Here's cobaltmute's new SkeletonDAC that I built awhile back, but I didn't post the pics in this thread.  It drives the KSC-75's fine and sounds very good - at least as good as an Alien/Bantam. The TI replacement DAC chips (PCM2704/5) for the PCM2702 have a built-in amplifier. It's not very powerful, but good enough to drive small phones and earbuds.

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #7,844 of 9,811
My speakers should be done tomorrow. One of them got exposed to the sun while stain was drying though so the finish is not kosher, as they say. The whole aesthetic is meh since the boards were not cut straight (not by my hand). Let's hope they sound good. Pics tomorrow night. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #7,845 of 9,811
Here is a super simple, single supply, single stage, portable discrete amp I recently built.

Voltage gain is 2, and is from input differential stage.  Draws about 10 mA with 9V battery supply.  Has two outputs, as I built it for my kids to use with our laptop to watch movies (laptop phone output is severely current limited).  This amp also sounds good with my Grado SR-60 phones I've had for almost a decade now.   This was only my 2nd diy electronics project; I want my next one to look much neater inside than this!

jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back