You will love the Bijou...

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #8,612 of 9,811
Quote:
How about a CanAmp clone for you? 
biggrin.gif

[Pic]

aaahh.. a bit dirty here.
[Pic]

First tests... Had some weird hum. Fixed that with some capacitors...
[Pic]

[Pic]

[Pic]

Put everything together tidily..and finished.
[Pic]

[Pic]

[Pic]

[Pic]

LFF "felt the FA-003’s had particular synergy with the Heed CanAmp." That's the main reason I built this amp. It's dead silent and sounds amazing. Better than the internal amp of Yulong D-100.

I read this whole thread in a month..

Not trying to sound really mean, but what is with that Overkill power supply just to power 2 OP-Amps??
I mean who designed this thing?? Looks like someone *looks at designer* can't use a calculator properly or don't know basic electronics.
(Or did it on purpose, which is even worse than not knowing...)

The circuit looks similar to the Cmoy (single OP-amp design)

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #8,613 of 9,811
Never put this up here, thought some people might be interested in seeing it.  It's a cable tester, I can test from (male XLR, female XLR, 1/4" TRS, RCA) to (male XLR, female XLR, 1/4" TRS, RCA).  Push a button, if the corresponding LED lights up, you're good, if not then it's miss wired or open.  Runs off of one 9V, and I've used it to test cables through walls at lengths well over 500 feet.  At some point I'm going to add a ground post to it that I can run a lead from to a piece of conduit or ground point to see if a cable has had it's jacket burned off and is making contact somewhere it shouldn't, but, well, future projects....

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #8,614 of 9,811
Quote:
Never put this up here, thought some people might be interested in seeing it.  It's a cable tester, I can test from (male XLR, female XLR, 1/4" TRS, RCA) to (male XLR, female XLR, 1/4" TRS, RCA).  Push a button, if the corresponding LED lights up, you're good, if not then it's miss wired or open.  Runs off of one 9V, and I've used it to test cables through walls at lengths well over 500 feet.  At some point I'm going to add a ground post to it that I can run a lead from to a piece of conduit or ground point to see if a cable has had it's jacket burned off and is making contact somewhere it shouldn't, but, well, future projects....

Brilliant! I love simple builds that makes your life easier. Cause you know, sometimes commercial products just don't cut it.

I posted this in another thread, but your build made me think I could share it here too.

I turn off every electronics in my room when I go to bed because the noise from the switching power supplies annoys me to no end. I have two power strips trough which everything is connected. I don't like the idea of turning them off on a daily basis, as their switches are not rated for such high cycle. I also wanted a GFCI protected outlet in my room, as I do some DIY stuff and a GFCI adds a lot of protection against shocks. 

It's basically a GFCI protected switchable power box. There's a breaker poking out on the right. The switch is a wall switch, the flat type that you just push. Perfect for toggling with your foot. Since this type of switch is designed for thousands of on/off cycles, it's better suited for this application. This thing plugs directly to the wall with a 15 amps power cable, and I plug my power strips into the GFCI. Note that power cables and sockets rated for 15 amps are a rare find. Most are 10 amps.

It costs me around 10$ and took just a few minutes to build. Compare that to other GFCI protected power strips. And those don't have real switches. 
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #8,615 of 9,811
Amazing work by everybody here.. Few questions. 1. About how long would you say it takes to complete these projects on average? 2. Does it all come in a kit, or do you have to buy piece by piece? 3. What sort of tools would one need to get into this stuff? Soldering iron, screwdrivers.. what else?

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #8,616 of 9,811
I think you need to be a bit more specific. projects will range from a few hours to years

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #8,617 of 9,811
Quote:
Amazing work by everybody here.. Few questions. 1. About how long would you say it takes to complete these projects on average? 2. Does it all come in a kit, or do you have to buy piece by piece? 3. What sort of tools would one need to get into this stuff? Soldering iron, screwdrivers.. what else?

1.)  As much time as you're willing to invest.
2.)  No, some kits, some things people dream up all on their own, figure out what parts to buy, and with some wizardry, make it work.
3.)  No matter how many tools you have, you'll always need more.  In other words, a lot.

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #8,618 of 9,811
DIY can take a lot of time. Especially if something goes wrong.
I've been working on one project since last September, and I have easily spent 80-100 hours of work on the project. That may be a bit of an extreme example, but it can and will happen.

The very basic tools are soldering iron, soldering wire, a desoldering tool (copper braid and/or pump), a multimeter, and a solvent to clean up the boards (IPA).
But you can find purpose for an almost infinite variety of pliers and tweezers. Different wire clippers too.
If you're doing casework and/or painting you will also need a lot of tools for that.

In my first project I spent far more money on the tools than on the actual parts.

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #8,619 of 9,811
Quote:

1) On average for me is a few days, usually below 20Hr of total work time (Excluding Research, Design if any required)

2) you can buy projects in a kit OR buy a empty PCB / Pref-board + components, Depends on what you want or available to you.

3) Soldering Iron, Solder, Desoldering pump / braid, Screwdriver set, Wire cutter + stripper, Forceps, Pliers (big and small), Digital multimeter.
A variable lab power supply would really help.

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #8,620 of 9,811
Quote:
DIY can take a lot of time. Especially if something goes wrong.
I've been working on one project since last September, and I have easily spent 80-100 hours of work on the project. That may be a bit of an extreme example, but it can and will happen.

The very basic tools are soldering iron, soldering wire, a desoldering tool (copper braid and/or pump), a multimeter, and a solvent to clean up the boards (IPA).
But you can find purpose for an almost infinite variety of pliers and tweezers. Different wire clippers too.
If you're doing casework and/or painting you will also need a lot of tools for that.

In my first project I spent far more money on the tools than on the actual parts.

Something that should be done which I never do. LOL
I put my iron on high heat and let the flux do the cleaning for me. (Bad role model!)

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #8,622 of 9,811

Users who are viewing this thread

Back