Post pics of your builds....
Jun 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #8,626 of 9,811
Quote:
Very nice casework. What case is it?

I got the case from a local store, it has no brand. The front panel is rather sharp in the edges.

Thank you for the kind words
smily_headphones1.gif
, but I am not sure if I deserve that.
redface.gif

On the top panel, the 3 big ventilation holes are off by 2 cm to the right due to calculation mistake. The 2 rows of smaller ventilation holes are also could use more smoothing, I but I am lazy.
biggrin.gif

On the front panel, the volume pot is oriented wrongly, if I match the D shaft with the knob's tightening screw, it would start at an odd position.
biggrin.gif
I ignored the D shaft orientation to solve that problem. The headphone jack should also be positioned close to the edge of the front panel. It is positioned at the dead center of the front panel, which is the weakest part, when the jack is pulled the front panel would flex.

For the back panel, it turns out to be better than I expected. But I carved the holes upside down, so I have to install the panel upside down. The consequence is that only 2 of the 4 screw holes at the sides are aligned.
biggrin.gif

So all in all looks fairly decent in picture, less so when examined closely. But when placed in the dim rack none of the flaws are visible (as you can see in the last picture), which I guess is enough to not bother me.
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #8,627 of 9,811
Freshly finished Millett "Starving Student" hybrid. I designed a linear regulated power supply for it.

These are the pictures of it's first test drive, directly from the bench where it was assembled. There's a few things to fix and tune before I can call it a completed project. But it's working, and magnificently! 
k701smile.gif
 I'm seriously impressed by the sound coming out of this simple design.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #8,630 of 9,811
Yup, the mosfet used is different than the "usual" so it gets really warm when using it. the mosfet is those two circle things at the center. supposed to be 4 for balanced but no case for it.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #8,632 of 9,811
Quote:
Yes, I recognized the TO-3 devices right off...

That awesome A_A guy doesn't miss much and he's a veritable font of knowledge... a demi-god among mere mortals; and a really good guy.

I however, did not recognize that it was an amp. I thought it was a parts drawer.

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! I'm humbled by all of your expertise!

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #8,634 of 9,811
its completely safe. this is the 5th one btw :wink:
the other four with different sizes are already with their respective owners.

EDIT: the SAC k1000 is way hotter than the previous four, so I assume that the 5th one is as hot as the SAC k1000.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #8,635 of 9,811
Quote:
That awesome A_A guy doesn't miss much and he's a veritable font of knowledge... a demi-god among mere mortals; and a really good guy.

I however, did not recognize that it was an amp. I thought it was a parts drawer.

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! I'm humbled by all of your expertise!

yep, there are few electronic experts here.
not as much as the diyaudio forum but they are here!

Quote:
its completely safe. this is the 5th one btw :wink:
the other four with different sizes are already with their respective owners, hehe..

^ that's what I thought when I first built an amp with heating elements, electrolytic caps and lots of stuff cramped in a box...
I was wrong. LOL
But seriously, You may want to clean up the wiring.

Did you design it? What's the output power?
*Sees TRS Socket on front panel...* 
Noo.... Don't Tell me... THIS IS A HEADPHONE AMP???

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #8,636 of 9,811
yep and not yet done. it depends what headphone primarily it will be used, i think this one is for an LCD3. yeah it looks messy but youll forget what it looks inside once you put your headphone and switch on the amp and start playing the music, well, based on the previous four. :wink:

i can try using 2-3w for output power and see how it goes. the previous one is using 2w so i guess it doesnt hurt to try higher output lol

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #8,637 of 9,811
Quote:
yep and not yet done. it depends what headphone primarily it will be used, i think this one is for an LCD3. yeah it looks messy but youll forget what it looks inside once you put your headphone and switch on the amp and start playing the music, well, based on the previous four. :wink:

i can try using 2-3w for output power and see how it goes. the previous one is using 2w so i guess it doesnt hurt to try higher output lol

Haha, I though for sure it was a 300W speaker amp when first saw the Pic.
Well I guess I'm not the one to talk because I once made a BJT output amp that needed 2 CPU headsink + fan to keep at non-hand-burning temperatures.....

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #8,639 of 9,811
Quote:
yep i designed it thats why its messy LOL but hey, it works!

and yes, this is a headphone amp. :wink:

Haha, but why is there only 1 MOSFET per channel?
did you use a huge resistor for the non-driving side of the output stage?

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #8,640 of 9,811
IMO less mosfet, the better sound. and the mosfet used has alot more power  compared to the mosfet "usually" used, like in beta22 for example. i say yes to answer your question, we dont want to kill headphones do we? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back