Post pics of your builds....
Apr 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #8,581 of 9,811

Quote:
sounds good to me
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #8,582 of 9,811
Brilliant work, I can't wait  until I know enough applicable physics to do this kind of stuff (I'm a 2nd year physics major)
Quote:
Sorry, the sand thing doesn't work.... There's no sound engineering behind it other than the fact that it adds some mass (but it doesn't isolate the table from anything!) This does work though (I designed and built it using engineering tactics from mechanical vibration damping, vibration isolation, and harmonic excitation):

It has four springs underneath, with a specific spring constant.  Here's the data:

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #8,583 of 9,811

Quote:
Brilliant work, I can't wait  until I know enough applicable physics to do this kind of stuff (I'm a 2nd year physics major)

You'll soon learn enough.  In fact, as a 2nd year physics major, and the known equation that the natural frequency of a system is equal to the square root of the spring constant divided by the mass of the object on top of the springs (that quotient inside the square root), you could pretty much start the FBD and solution yourself.

I'm a graduating senior in Mechanical Engineering myself.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #8,584 of 9,811
Oh, yeah, you're right! I'm sort of ashamed that I forgot that little nugget from my fundamentals 1 class. I was trying to solve the base differential equation (as I procrastinate from studying for my math physics exam) and having a rough time of it. Congrats on making it through the 4 years :D Not everyone can appreciate just how difficult a challenge that is!

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #8,585 of 9,811

Quote:
Oh, yeah, you're right! I'm sort of ashamed that I forgot that little nugget from my fundamentals 1 class. I was trying to solve the base differential equation (as I procrastinate from studying for my math physics exam) and having a rough time of it. Congrats on making it through the 4 years
biggrin.gif
Not everyone can appreciate just how difficult a challenge that is!

I hear you on that one, and thank you.  I have two more years left though, as I'm getting my Master's in Mechanical Engineering starting in January.

May 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #8,586 of 9,811
Quote:
I built a Pimeta 2 or 3 years ago. It was difficult to source the buffers, so I built three Sijosae Dimond Buffers.
Then I replaced them with Sjöström Dimond Buffers which I built last year.
And finally this year I put it all in a new box, replaced most connectors, volume control & knob, wires etc.
<snip>

A bit farther back but wanted to say that build is very nice & like the clean look.  And you are right Evge others have used that type case from that ebay vendor in the past (like me:)

And a larger one of the same for my "budget" b22 2-ch build...  Added to the ventilation in a bit ugly way (its thin steel so used on-hand 1/2" greenlee punch top & bottom), perhaps only important for class A amp builds.

Note: I've since asked the vendor to expand the cover ventilation on this particular case and he has nicely & quickly responded to my request creating the "HB-350-1" variant (due in a week or so).

IMO they are functional cases, a bit thin and use a fair number of sheet metal screws, but relatively easy to work with and decent cost IF ordering more than one at a time.

May 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #8,587 of 9,811
Pretty simple switchbox that switches my computer audio between speakers and headphones.  It was a first "project" and gave me some needed practice with some things (like soldering in tight-ish places and how to wire up switches/leds/etc)  LED comes on when the headphone jack is selected.

May 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #8,591 of 9,811
Haven't posted here in a while... so here are a few things I've been up to in the past 6 or so months...

Decided to do a GrubDAC as a back up for my Gamma-2... wanted to use the Hammond case used in the Y1/Mini3... had to adapt the small GrubDAC board so I cut a piece of perf board to fit everything perfectly. Air wired the LED and 1/8" jack and got some FPE panels made courtesy of Beftus' prior measurements.

And before that several months back... I brought to life a few CTHs...

May 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #8,592 of 9,811
Nice collection Mullen! Is that "net" on top custom work or is it sold commonly? I have seen it before.

May 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #8,593 of 9,811
Nice collection Mullen! Is that "net" on top custom work or is it sold commonly? I have seen it before.

I would guess he bought a large piece and just cut it up.
I really like the idea, though. Great way to get some good ventilation without all the bother of finding the right case, or drilling a ton of holes.

May 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #8,594 of 9,811
It's perforated metal that I've found in various places around my office -- I work at a post-production company. I then used tin snips (huge scissors) to cut it to size. Finally, I used a metal hole punch to make my tube hole. I plan on using a bigger piece for my upcoming EHHA Rev A. It's perfect for ventilation and looks super cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back