Post pics of your builds....
Apr 1, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #1,936 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I made this tiny Cmoy anyway... just for the heck of it.

t_c6_1.jpg

Thats what I call a tiny amplifier. Great work!

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #1,937 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by griff2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... snip ...
My only minor gripe about the kit is that the supplied tube socket has a solid metal core, which seems to give the socket its integrity, but which precludes the placing of a LED under the socket. Otherwise this kit makes a very fine sounding amp.

Almost all of the ceramic ones are that way. The "solid metal core" is actually a couple of press-fit pins. You drill them out, then glue the two pieces of the socket back together.
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #1,938 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice! Why don't you solder the output wires directly to the legs of the output caps? This would remove a few solder spots from the circuit and maybe reduce inductance caused by the extra wire lenght.

In my experience and knowledge, few solder joints doesn't make any difference. Also the stray inductance caused by capacitor leads is not a broblem on audio frequencies. At least you can't hear, or measure any difference. But if one needs to do so for the peace of mind...
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #1,939 of 9,811
Finally, my β22 build is complete and ready for the 2007 Headfest.
cool.gif

The β22 amp is in 3-channel active-ground configuration, mounted atop a ε22 backplane board which minimizes the amount of wiring in the case and makes things very tidy. An Alps RK40 "black Beauty" pot is used as the volume control. There are two front panel headphone jacks as well as rear panel binding posts for speakers. The rear panel also has RCA input and loop-out jacks.

The σ22 PSU is in a separate case, with a standalone AC line filter and 80VA toroidal transformer. The heavy duty DC power umbilical cable is terminated with locking Amphenol 4-contact circular connectors on both ends.

The casework is all-custom, fabricated using 1/8" aluminum sheets, aluminum angles, black and clear acrylic sheets. The styling follows the same theme as all my other headphone amp builds.

C2747.jpg

C2748.jpg

C2749.jpg

C2750.jpg

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #1,942 of 9,811
Wow, that amp looks amazing. Too bad you don't sell it fully built in that case. =]

Apr 2, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #1,945 of 9,811
tomb wrote: Quote:

Almost all of the ceramic ones are that way. The "solid metal core" is actually a couple of press-fit pins. You drill them out, then glue the two pieces of the socket back together.

Ahh, I'll remember that for future tube-based builds.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #1,946 of 9,811
My tubes and tube sockets arrived for the SOHA. I have yet to get it cased up, or even test it... but I had to take a couple tube shots
wink.gif
. Once I get it debugged I think I'm going to look for some of the GE ones tomb keeps talking up
eek.gif

IMG_1042%20(Small).JPG

IMG_1043%20(Small).JPG

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #1,947 of 9,811
My first attempt at electronics and a CMoy to boot! Not too happy with the wiring... working out kinks on first model and I'll do better on the next attempt. Any suggestions on better wiring?

Also not to happy where I scratched the paint of the tin around the jacks...
frown.gif

Followed Tangents tutorial, diverged to include TLE2426 rail splitter and bypass caps. using OPA2227 amp and ALPS RK097 pot...

IMG_0251_2.jpg

IMG_0266_2.jpg

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #1,948 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlizzofOZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first attempt at electronics and a CMoy to boot! Not too happy with the wiring... working out kinks on first model and I'll do better on the next attempt. Any suggestions on better wiring?

Also not to happy where I scratched the paint of the tin around the jacks...
frown.gif

Followed Tangents tutorial, diverged to include TLE2426 rail splitter and bypass caps. using OPA2227 amp and ALPS RK097 pot...

IMG_0266_2.jpg

Dang those are big input caps! what are they? Your 1st CMoy build looks alot better than mine did. I had to scrap it, but I salvaged all the components off the board, and made one proper.

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #1,950 of 9,811
mb3k is correct!!! When doing my research, I read about these orange caps, how some like, so dislike for various reasons. I put my order in, per Tangents tutorial... and low and behold, what arrives... big, huge orange caps. I figured, ok, whatever. Problem came when placing them on the board. They are so HUGE and bulky. When I ordered, I had no idea on these things being a total newbie...

What caps can be used in place of these orange ones?

Joshatdot, yeah, I was following your threads. I was worried I would have major problems. At the 2nd test phase (Tangent's), I was getting sound, but was very scratchy. I cleaned up the flux, cleaned some near bridging and then found I hadn't soldered a resistor. Bingo, it worked! Proceeded to cross my fingers and added the pot and jacks. Had some problems with bridging on the pot and fixed that. I don't know if you can see in the pictures, but I used type of rubber foam (tool drawer liners) that I stuffed into areas where I thought bridging might occur later. After that, I crammed into the tin and it worked! The next one I will tighten up the wiring now that I know how it fits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back