Post pics of your builds....
Apr 3, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #1,951 of 9,811
Ugh...

I hate having to go after amb. Everything he does is so amazing...

In any case, here's my newly completed Millett Hybrid, both with and without Diamond Buffers.

I haven't drilled the holes in the top plate yet, so that's why it's topless for now.

db1smallfk4.jpg

desk1smallye4.jpg

milletttable2smallup4.jpg

millettglow2smalljd1.jpg

Came out pretty well, I think.

Now I'm working a custom Cmoy circuit board, so I can fit 2 9Vs in the altoids tin.

Apr 4, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #1,952 of 9,811
As some of you might know, I'm unfortunately getting out of DIY soon and am finishing up with lots of projects around, these will be some of my last creations.

For all the latest pics check out my Head-Fi photo album

Some new stuff:
Pair of maxed out PPAv2
DSCF0970.JPG

Recased PINT with Mini-TREAD
DSCF0975.JPG

DSCF0977.JPG

DIY MisterX's XP Amp (Thanks buddy, it sounds even BETTER than a PINT
smily_headphones1.gif
)
DSCF0978.JPG

STEPS 1.0
DSCF0980.JPG

More stuff coming soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #1,953 of 9,811
^looks nice FallenAngel, i love your PPAs with Silmic IIs. What about your sijosae ABs? Did you finish building them?
wink.gif

@Amb - Whoa amb's work is one of the main reasons why i chose the DIY path.

PICT1616.jpg

PICT1615.jpg

Anyway i just finished building the amp above. It's a very simple 3 Channel Diamond buffers with AD744 as ground channel based off Sijosae's simple diamond buffers
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #1,954 of 9,811
Finished modding the internal wiring in my Dynahi.

Originally I had used microphone cables to connect the RCA inputs at the back panel to the volume pot attached to the front panel. Also inserted that in a steel pipe for EMI protection.

dynahi_amp_enclosures_finished_019.jpg

dynahi_amp_progress_004.jpg

Since the power supply is not going to be close to the amp enclosure, the microphone cable + steel pipe was probably overkill. So I wanted to replace the microphone cables with silver plated stranded copper wire in teflon jacket (the kind of wiring I had before the microphone cable try,) and also wanted to reduce the internal signal path. In order to do so, the volume pot could be placed further back, much closer to the RCA inputs. After these latter modifications, and the recent heatsink extension mod, here´s how the results look:

pot_relocation_knob_extension_003.jpg

pot_relocation_knob_extension_002.jpg

pot_relocation_knob_extension_004.jpg

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #1,955 of 9,811
I was gonna wait till it was done but...
PICT0887.jpg

here's my cmoy. I have yet to see another in a Panda black liquorice box, then again, it's not a very good box for a cmoy XD I don't have a drill, but I have three altoids tins (also black liquorice) waiting. The reason the panel mounts are on different sides of the box is because I got lazy and boxed up the second test setup.
Innards (first test setup).
PICT0864.jpg

And yes I'm going to upgrade those caps/that opamp, I really should have read more before placing that first order *sigh*

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #1,957 of 9,811
kanamin: i strongly suggest the opa2227 for your cmoy. i only mention it because i saw it in your sig. it really takes a lot of the edge off of the high end and mellows out the sound a bit. i liked the change.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #1,959 of 9,811
The term overkill comes to mind, but I did have fun building it !!!
Sorry that some of the pics are darkish, but I don't have a digital camera of my own, and was borrowing a friends.

I'm considering removing the preamp stage all together, as there is far too much gain as there is.

Here's a lovely over head !
IMGP1192.JPG

... and more specifically the amp/preamp modules ...
IMGP1193.JPG

... a close up of the PSU for both the amps and preamp ...
IMGP1194.JPG

... and a lovely closeup of the preamp and stepped attenuator.
IMGP1195.JPG

This is the right channel ...
IMGP1196.JPG

... and this is the left channel !!!
IMGP1197.JPG

Apr 6, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #1,960 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, my β22 build is complete and ready for the 2007 Headfest.

Absolutely amazing work!

Apr 6, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #1,961 of 9,811
A Cmoy I just finished, sounds far better than expected and I plan on using it as my portable amp now. Electronically it wasn't a very advanced project for me but everything I have ever built before has been on breadboard and I have never built an amplifier. The case work was defiantly a learning curve having never rearly used power tools, I think it came out ok. The large size is due to my accidental ordering of some very large in size capacitors rated at much higher voltages than I needed. I went for 18v supply voltage (so +/-9v) so that the opamps inbuilt noise rejection features were fully utilised.
cmoykl4.jpg

looking through this thread is a real education in making nice looking amps, something I need to work on
cool.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #1,963 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericlikeseatin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kanamin: i strongly suggest the opa2227 for your cmoy. i only mention it because i saw it in your sig. it really takes a lot of the edge off of the high end and mellows out the sound a bit. i liked the change.

Yeah, my first impression of the cmoy was a harsh high end, but I'll end up buying and trying all three opamps in my sig.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #1,964 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh...

I hate having to go after amb. Everything he does is so amazing...

In any case, here's my newly completed Millett Hybrid, both with and without Diamond Buffers.

I haven't drilled the holes in the top plate yet, so that's why it's topless for now.

desk1smallye4.jpg

Ikrit42 what's the deal with what I am assuming is the power button on the front of your millet? I really like it, nice work!

By the way if you want to build me one I wouldn't refuse
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back