Post Pics of Headphones & Headphone/Listening Area
Feb 17, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #16 of 152
They're actually really good speakers and can get VERY loud, enough to fill up my two-story house...I have to eq them a bit, but I have a decent sound card and I think they are very very good for the $100 or less that they can be bought for...but still I want to know how to connect my speakers to my computer.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #17 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they are very very good for the $100 or less that they can be bought for....

You picked up a set of HPM-1500s for $100?!?!?!??????
eek.gif
confused.gif

I always wanted to hear a set of those.
How would you describe them?
Are they shouty thumpers like some vintage Pioneers of the day?

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #18 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif

Don't get so excited, he got his Logitech X-250 for $100
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #19 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif

Heh, no no no, my dad gave them to me, he wants to buy a pair of bose to replace them....(not joking), They are very good speakers, I like to brag about them occasionally
rolleyes.gif
. But yes they are thumpy, I find when they aren't on stands the bass is a lot thumpier, but a tad out of control. But yes for the most part, they are very shouty thumpers
wink.gif

PS: My dad bought these speakers about 20 years ago for about $600 from a friend. I hear now that they're worth about ~$1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get so excited, he got his Logitech X-250 for $100
wink.gif

I think the model is 550, since it's a 5.1 setup, but you could be right...not sure.

Do let me know if any of you know how i can hook up these fs speakers to my comp
wink.gif
i'm impatient eh?

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #20 of 152
Quote:

I think the model is 550, since it's a 5.1 setup, but you could be right...not sure.

Do let me know if any of you know how i can hook up these fs speakers to my comp
wink.gif
i'm impatient eh?

Right, you're more correct than I. That's actually the X-530, but it doesn't really matter that much.

Regarding the connection of those nice speakers to your computer, would it not be an audio / home theatre receiver that you're looking for? No matter what, you'll be connecting your computer to your speakers with the equivalent of an AUX input (unless you go digital).

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #21 of 152
Yeah, I know it would end up being connected through an equivalent, but I'm wondering if there's a special speaker wire for this. The purpose of me asking is so I can eliminate the middle man (in this case being a reciever), but I'm not sure if I can do that?

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #22 of 152
Quote:

Yeah, I know it would end up being connected through an equivalent, but I'm wondering if there's a special speaker wire for this. The purpose of me asking is so I can eliminate the middle man (in this case being a reciever), but I'm not sure if I can do that?

Nope. Your computer is only capable of line-level and headphone-level output. Speaker-level output is magnitudes more powerful, and there's no way to get around having a middleman amplifier between your computer and your speakers. Even your X-530 has an amplifier, it's just integrated. And trust me, an amplifier won't add any noise or distortion that you could possibly notice.

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #23 of 152
Wait just a quick question, I have an AUX cable that ends in the red and white plugs (rca right?) and so basically if I have a reciever and just connect it to say the "cd" one it will work? if so my brother offered to sell me a reciever for $100.

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #25 of 152
Quote:

Wait just a quick question, I have an AUX cable that ends in the red and white plugs (rca right?) and so basically if I have a reciever and just connect it to say the "cd" one it will work? if so my brother offered to sell me a reciever for $100.

You'd better watch out; what your brother's trying to sell you may be worth far less than what he's asking. I recently picked up a full Kenwood stereo system, including a tape deck, turntable, 5-disc CD changer, and receiver, along with two half-decent Mission speakers, all for $75. The receiver has a ton of inputs including two video inputs, and even has a tape loop so it can be used with a hardware equalizer. My guess is that what your brother is selling isn't as good, but you never know. Check out what's selling on the Craigslist in your area, as a search for 'stereo system' will reveal a ton of bargains.

Once you get a receiver, though, you would definitely just adapt your computer's miniplug output to RCA (the red and white), and plug it into your receiver's input. Since I have a CD changer, I connect it to the tape input, but the CD input is the exact same thing and will do just fine as well.

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #26 of 152
oh, I know it's a good reciever, it's a very nice onkyo that powered a 100 disc changer through a pair of kenwood 250 watt speakers, and it sounded very nice. Also, I was with him when he first bought the reciever...he bought it new around 450 i think from best buy.

EDIT: One more question and we need to keep this back on topic, I've heard that the speakers could interfere with my computer. How likely is this to happen. I plan to put them beside my computer desk.

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #28 of 152
Quote:

oh, I know it's a good reciever, it's a very nice onkyo that powered a 100 disc changer through a pair of kenwood 250 watt speakers, and it sounded very nice. Also, I was with him when he first bought the reciever...he bought it new around 450 i think from best buy.

EDIT: One more question and we need to keep this back on topic, I've heard that the speakers could interfere with my computer. How likely is this to happen. I plan to put them beside my computer desk.

It can change your CRT monitor a bit, a degauss should fix any changes though.

When i have a speaker on top of my CRT monitor, a certain spot on the crt is effected(bad colour and blurs) when i remove the speaker and degauss, its gone.

Cheers

also... my set up atm is.....

foobar2k/flac > prog rock/heavy metal(sub genres but no metalcore etc, mainly sweedish metal) > auzen prelude > bit matched > ad700 sitting on my pc desk
tongue.gif
don't know if its pic worthy hehe.

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #29 of 152
Here's my headfi station:

Stello013.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back