Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #3,121 of 5,383
Seems I have another incomplete box. :rolleyes: Tsk tsk.
Stravinsky - Svetlanov: Le Sacre du Printemps / Symphony in 3 movements on Melodya. It was just one lonesome Sacre in an empty box. The Sacre is my favorite anyway and this is recording nr xx? Oh well, I don't really care since I only pay per LP and this one is one excelllent performance. Just one little scratch and a little surface noise.
And on the topic of Melodya: it turns out I own a whole stash of them, mainly Tchaikovsky. A stack from my dad and a some more from my uncle, some are even double. Only they got the old budget Garrard (or Philips) grooveplough treatment. They sound pretty battered. I'll try the woodgluetreatment but I have no high hopes.

BTW, you should see my bicycles. No worn parts there, and spare parts in the cupboard. From vintage '90 carbon to the newest electronic gearchange. I can't help the lp's I buy 2ndH. The covers might wear a bit but the ones I bought new are all still as new. Thats also a big plus if you have a large collection and a better than average TT (properly set up that is!).

May 13, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #3,122 of 5,383
Seems I have another incomplete box.
rolleyes.gif
Tsk tsk.
Stravinsky - Svetlanov: Le Sacre du Printemps / Symphony in 3 movements on Melodya. It was just one lonesome Sacre in an empty box. The Sacre is my favorite anyway and this is recording nr xx? Oh well, I don't really care since I only pay per LP and this one is one excelllent performance. Just one little scratch and a little surface noise.
And on the topic of Melodya: it turns out I own a whole stash of them, mainly Tchaikovsky. A stack from my dad and a some more from my uncle, some are even double. Only they got the old budget Garrard (or Philips) grooveplough treatment. They sound pretty battered. I'll try the woodgluetreatment but I have no high hopes.

BTW, you should see my bicycles. No worn parts there, and spare parts in the cupboard. From vintage '90 carbon to the newest electronic gearchange. I can't help the lp's I buy 2ndH. The covers might wear a bit but the ones I bought new are all still as new. Thats also a big plus if you have a large collection and a better than average TT (properly set up that is!).

Melodiya LPs are THE BEST recordings out there - provided they are played by the very best gear available.
Vinyl they are pressed on "leaves something to desire" - to remain on the polite side.  However, if and when played by de facto and not only on paper superb equipment, the noise, ticks, pops and other unmentinables can be separated from at times truly superbly played and recorded music so well as to  pass unmentioned. The most expensive second hand vinyls you are likely to find anywhere will most probably be on the Melodiya label.

Great about your bikes - not in your league. Ditto for worn parts and spares in stock.

I understand 2ndh lp situation. One can not do much if previous owner(s) loved their record(s) to (near) death .
Even if one's TT is not better than average, proper setup goes a long way towards well being of the records.

May 13, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,123 of 5,383
Too rich for my blood but at least it's "new".

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Melodiya/MELLP0027

May 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #3,124 of 5,383
Thanks to my good friend Stu over on Hifiwigwam, Im now running a Nagaoka MP-10.
Very impressed so far and Im afraid to admit this is my first "audiophile" cart. Ive always used good DJ carts up until now.
Where the DJ carts I use are great sounding, The MP-10 really steps the game up and now has me hankering for more already!

May 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #3,125 of 5,383
Very cool!  Congratulations.

I lurves my Rega.

May 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #3,127 of 5,383
May 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #3,130 of 5,383
May 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,131 of 5,383
  Thanks to my good friend Stu over on Hifiwigwam, Im now running a Nagaoka MP-10.
Very impressed so far and Im afraid to admit this is my first "audiophile" cart. Ive always used good DJ carts up until now.
Where the DJ carts I use are great sounding, The MP-10 really steps the game up and now has me hankering for more already!

Nice pics ! And finally a Nagaoka cart.

Not totally sure whether it is possible to mix "low end" Nagaoka cartridge body with "high end" stylus, but MP50 or its present day version MP500 are really nice carts.
The best bang for the buck was MP11 Boron - sadly very rarely available for sale nowadays.

May 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #3,132 of 5,383
I find "assigning" gender/sex to things in English is an amusing business - like looking at an P51 Mustang WWII fighter and commenting: "... she is georgeus ...! "

OK, with RCA males and females one must be clear about - but I never thought a TT has to decide whether IT wants to be titled Ms or Mr. - LOL !  

(And hopefully one does not come to idea to further categorize TTs as Ms, Miss etc - depending how many tonearm "partners" has that particular TT  changed in its lifspan ... 
jecklinsmile.gif

May 14, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,133 of 5,383
  I find "assigning" gender/sex to things in English is an amusing business - like looking at an P51 Mustang WWII fighter and commenting: "... she is georgeus ...! "

OK, with RCA males and females one must be clear about - but I never thought a TT has to decide whether IT wants to be titled Ms or Mr. - LOL !  

(And hopefully one does not come to idea to further categorize TTs as Ms, Miss etc - depending how many tonearm "partners" has that particular TT  changed in its lifspan ... 
jecklinsmile.gif

Good one!
beerchug.gif

May 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3,134 of 5,383
@Paul Graham
Nice pictures and a nice upgrade. Oh my, and there are so many more possible upgrades. Which is a good thing; more to discover.
I was wondering what phonoamp you are using and if you can make any adjustments in capacitance. Capacity loading is quite important with this cartridge otherwise it will droop>1kHz followed by a severe treble peak >10kHz if capacitance is to low. It's almost like a treble control on a (non audiophile) amp. With around 600pF (extra 400 over cable+amp capacitance) it will be much more straight and no peak. Highs will end at around 15kHz though. This is something I have to check on my Yaqin MS22b for the Decca cart. But first I have to mod a TDA1541 dac and a TDA1543 dac.

May 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3,135 of 5,383

jecklinsmile.gif

Good one!
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back