Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 7, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,091 of 5,385

Quote:
  It was as much performance as information. There were probably 100 people in the room. It was classroom theater style seating and he was on the stage. They had a very high end video camera and Operator filming and projecting close ups on the big screen. Imagine the stylus tip 5 feet high! Very cool. 

With MF involved, performance is unavoidable. I hope information was decently thorough.

Hi end camera etc to allow the students to see the stylus from their classroom seats i$$$ the only problem...

No need to imagine stylus tip 5 feet high - I am accustomed to look to normal TV screen size monitors for stylus orientation, VTA, etc - from Benz Micro Switzerland, where I used to work . 20" or so diagonal monitor(s) with lines for each degree of VTA for checking each and every sample is not only cool, but above all -
useful and absolute necessity.
Although it can be all done under stereo microscope(s) I own, it is much less strain on the operator with more elaborate and easier to use dedicated optical equipment.

The very business end of the Audio Technica ML150 OCC Micro Line stylus -
the small scanning radius is 2.5 micrometers

May 7, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #3,092 of 5,385
May 7, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #3,093 of 5,385
May 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #3,094 of 5,385
Wow, a diamond cloud. :cool:

You can call me deaf

Well, that is exactly what I was not saying. I was trying to reason to understand what I read. As in; thinking out loud what this meant:
Basically wow/flutter went away, bass became more tight and controlled.

You were speaking about wow/flutter. Wow =| flutter.

@]eep: Your theory may sound very convincing, but in practice matters what you hear. You can call me deaf, but what I hear is definitely not what you are describing. I can tell one thing, I heard wow without my mod, and I don't hear it any more with this mod - as simple as that and I don't need any theory to prove that what I hear is what I hear. I am an engineer my self, and I understand physics well, and what you say may sound like it makes a lot of sense, but probably the problem is that you model of this problem in a wrong way. When you choose incorrect model, then all laws you apply sound good, but they don't match the actual result. This is what happens in the world of DACs, where engineers fight with audiophiles. Engineers want numbers, measurements, and audiophiles want PRAT, a concept that engineers don't understand. The thing that engineers forget is that there is no set of measurements that can tell whether something sounds good or not, while audiophile will tell you that straight away using his ears. I also understand you got an expensive table with all the fancy stuff, and it is against your instinct to believe that something cheaper may actually sound close to perfect. I haven't heard your setup, so I don't know how better is is from my sl1210 with vinyl buttons mod, but my current experience tells me that that sl1210 sounds at least as good as CD with higher quality records, even if they are wrapped.

I so agree with that: if you start with the wrong assumption perfect logic will unequivocally lead you to a faulty conclusion. Logic 101. But maybe you should be a bit more accurate in your phrasing. Why would you wrap on your turntable while playing? :D
English is my third language but I guess you are sloppier than I am, please take some pride in correct spelling so us foreigners get a good example.

About my TT; I havent always had this, I started with the same Dual 505 up ^. And I did a lot of mods on it. That's why I am trying to encourage you to keep experimenting. But I guess in 20 years you will probably have a very nice and comfortable TT as well (at least I hope so).
And why do you think I use a NOS DAC? It's ridiculously cheap (quite the opposite end of the price-spectrum from my cartridge at €150), it's oldschool, doesn't measure all that well at all, but it sounds very natural (no pre-ringing). You may call it PRAT (which I think is a slightly abused term by the likes of Linn and Naim, or was it Martin Colloms from HFN&RR?). I call it accuracy in the time domain (phase), or naturalness in audiophile terms. Vinyl is very good at that.

May 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,096 of 5,385
And why do you think I use a NOS DAC? It's ridiculously cheap (quite the opposite end of the price-spectrum from my cartridge at €150), it's oldschool, doesn't measure all that well at all, but it sounds very natural (no pre-ringing). You may call it PRAT (which I think is a slightly abused term by the likes of Linn and Naim, or was it Martin Colloms from HFN&RR?). I call it accuracy in the time domain (phase), or naturalness in audiophile terms. Vinyl is very good at that.

Absolutely true :D My gf does not seem to see difference between digital and vinyl though...

Also I think the biggest problem now is that all new records seem to be badly mastered, and really good ones I have are very old and not in the best shape...

May 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3,097 of 5,385

I always wanted to attend one of his.

I watched his DVDs on the subject. Nothing new to me.

I should hope not!  I believe they're aimed at the amateur.

Oh, there's plenty of TT experts out here I could learn from. In fact, some are just right down the street...professionals and enthusiasts. No no, my interest is of social and entertainment nature. Who doesn't like attending yet another Dog & Pony show? 
tongue.gif

May 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #3,098 of 5,385

Absolutely true
biggrin.gif
My gf does not seem to see difference between digital and vinyl though...

Also I think the biggest problem now is that all new records seem to be badly mastered, and really good ones I have are very old and not in the best shape...

To protect consumers - collectively we've a lot of clout but little organization - I wish the recording industry had to adhere to well placed standards and ensure a quality recorded and mixed medium. 
c515d902351c07abf19039ba6d66d4db38d5c855.gif
 Y-e-a-h, I know...so many music buyers are indifferent and couldn't care less. But we need to push (March?) for what we want!

May 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3,099 of 5,385
Check this craziness out: 

http://www.spin.com/articles/jack-white-lazaretto-ultra-lp-hologram-vinyl-details/

Read the article too.

May 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #3,101 of 5,385
I still can't figure this out, Analogsurviver...
And I wish you never have to learn what Dual Steuerpimpel is !

What is tax acne? Or is it drive zits? :confused_face_2:

To be honest about recording quality, I think most releases are on average better than 30y ago. It's just that the highlights from the analog era were just that good. But there was also a lot of rubbish, especially pressings. I remember the cheap Spanish (or Mexican?) pressings that had cheap recycled vinyl (reggea!) on masterplates that had been used for too long. Not to mention the awful, flat 'digital recording', 'digitally remastered' ( .../messed up) lp's from the 80's. But on the other hand, there's the loudnesswar that hasn't completely passed by vinyl.

Ok, and then I read/saw this:
absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering

Check this craziness out: 
Video
Read the article too.

That's no crazyness, that's genius! He's standing there just like a little kid in a candystore but when he speaks he doesn't just talk but actually says something not everyone is aware of.

But those are not the easiest features to incorporate. I mean; how do do cut 2 grooves that merge just at the right time without having the needle jump out of the groove? You need some pretty nifty modern age servo technology for that.

And all that technology on a 180g record I would expect a real pricepremium... but it's just $20! :blink:

Edit: only shipping is $16.75 to NL. Rather expensive. As always. :frowning2: Fortunately it's €27 all in which I can afford as an impulse purchase. I just hope first class package doesn't get the DHL treatment.

May 8, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3,102 of 5,385
I do wonder about anti skate going from inner groove to outer groove. Though not much as my VPIs both use the wire twist method…

May 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #3,103 of 5,385
I wonder if all that fun stuff screws up the actually sound quality.  I didn't find Blunderbuss to be all that great sounding so I'm really not expecting all that much from Lazaretto. But I'll still probably buy a copy just because it's pretty cool. 

I will NOT be playing the label though, no thanks.......

May 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #3,104 of 5,385
do wonder about anti skate going from inner groove to outer groove.

No. Thats dependant on geometry and not on the direction of the groove. The platter will still move clockwise and the pressure on the outside groovewall will stil be greater.
I will NOT be playing the label though, no thanks.......

Oh, who cares I'm just going to bust up my €5000 cart.... :rolleyes:

But... that depends... I think the clip isn't telling the whole story. Is the label in the vinyl, like a picturedisk, or is the groove made up of (treated) paper? The former would not be a problem (the clear vinyl wouldn't sound as good though).The latter I would not burn my fingers on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back