Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 9, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #3,106 of 5,383
I still can't figure this out, Analogsurviver...
What is tax acne? Or is it drive zits?
confused_face_2.gif

To be honest about recording quality, I think most releases are on average better than 30y ago. It's just that the highlights from the analog era were just that good. But there was also a lot of rubbish, especially pressings. I remember the cheap Spanish (or Mexican?) pressings that had cheap recycled vinyl (reggea!) on masterplates that had been used for too long. Not to mention the awful, flat 'digital recording', 'digitally remastered' ( .../messed up) lp's from the 80's. But on the other hand, there's the loudnesswar that hasn't completely passed by vinyl.

Ok, and then I read/saw this:

That's no crazyness, that's genius! He's standing there just like a little kid in a candystore but when he speaks he doesn't just talk but actually says something not everyone is aware of.

But those are not the easiest features to incorporate. I mean; how do do cut 2 grooves that merge just at the right time without having the needle jump out of the groove? You need some pretty nifty modern age servo technology for that.

And all that technology on a 180g record I would expect a real pricepremium... but it's just $20!
blink.gif

Edit: only shipping is $16.75 to NL. Rather expensive. As always.
frown.gif
Fortunately it's €27 all in which I can afford as an impulse purchase. I just hope first class package doesn't get the DHL treatment.

OK, consider yourself lucky as you were obviously blessed with whatever Dual Steuerpimpel you were stuck with, it was still working as it should have. Just Google this "pimpel" - it governs the overall performance od the Dual automatics and without its PRECISE action one is basically stuck where the  sun never shines...

Regarding the sound quality of the recordings themselves, and vinyl mastering ( VERY different thing than mastering as we know it in the digital age ), I agree  with you on the level of quality on the average. There were craptastic LPs even in the golden age of analog - but there were absolute stunning examples that still have not been surpassed. To be blunt : I started doing my own recordings because during early stages of my development of Technics linear trackers it became painfully obvious the weakest link are - recordings themselves. Decca/Philips/EMI/Mercury Living Presence/RCA /etc - a scant fraction of a percent  have not been subjected to compression, limitting in the bass, manipulations I find inexcusable ( you can count 99,99% of operas recorded with SINGERS as GIANTS, overpowering the orchestra all the time - NOTHING of this when listening to a live performance ; or RUBINSTEIN and orchestra .), count then vinyl mastering
in-a-less-than-stellar-way, shoddy off center pressing on dubious quality vinyl, shrink wrap  leading to warped LPs, etc.

Regarding this "geniously crazy" LP: I agree it is a fun, bold idea, but I sincerely do hope so it is safe for stylus. Doing all these unnecessary stunt stuff
( it IS hard to make records as they should have been made in the first place, kind of like requiring your waiter to bring you the whole meal on two tight ropes strung between two skyscrapers oscilating with unharmonius beat - and he/she has to jump from one to another at a precise given spot - without the strawberry off the cake ending in your soup -
or worse, everything ending up as a fleck - so and so many metres below ... . 

My opinion it is a gimmick to draw attention/publicity for the author in the first place - and in that he succeded with flying colours. But I would approach such a record with a necessary caution - with a scouting , expendable stylus, not something rare/irreplaceable ( forget the $ for the moment ) . It is a testament what can be done by someone in a candy store who really has something to say - but inherently, the way he chose to deliver his massage can not be of high quality. It is the same thing as the question why mount a XY? horsepower  JET engine on a car at the Discovery channel years ago:

Because WE CAN.

Whether that fills any real world needs is another matter. 

With the quality of test LP records today ( and you can be 101 % sure music records are NOT being made better either  ), I would try to at least approach the quality once issued in the golden age. Trouble is, it has no fanfares a la "geniously crazy" record to grab the attention of the public at large
- an it co$t$ like hell ...

May 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #3,108 of 5,383
I just realised... looking at the video: Jack White looks and acts just like Willie Wonka! Only the oompa loompa is a lot taller. :D

About the steuerpimpel; got it now. Its German for driverthingie. Reminds me of a German song by Mike Krüger from 1980:
Sie müssen erst den Nippel durch die Lasche ziehen
und mit der kleinen Kurbel ganz nach oben drehen
da erscheint sofort ein Pfeil
und da drücken sie dann drauf
und schon geht der Arm hinauf

(for those that don't speak German; tough luck :p)
I was talking to a friend who acquired a 505 that has just this problem. He wants to build it in an old '60 all in one radio cabinet (with the alnico speaker drivers, tubeamp etc). Excellent, I think we got the problem now.

May 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3,109 of 5,383
I just realised... looking at the video: Jack White looks and acts just like Willie Wonka! Only the oompa loompa is a lot taller.
biggrin.gif

About the steuerpimpel; got it now. Its German for driverthingie. Reminds me of a German song by Mike Krüger from 1980:
Sie müssen erst den Nippel durch die Lasche ziehen
und mit der kleinen Kurbel ganz nach oben drehen
da erscheint sofort ein Pfeil
und da drücken sie dann drauf
und schon geht der Arm hinauf

(for those that don't speak German; tough luck
tongue.gif
)

I was talking to a friend who acquired a 505 that has just this problem. He wants to build it in an old '60 all in one radio cabinet (with the alnico speaker drivers, tubeamp etc). Excellent, I think we got the problem now.

My German is only good for reading - but had a 
bigsmile_face.gif
atsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
floatsmile.png
L3000.gif
 moment "reading" it - 
beerchug.gif

Good luck with the '60 all in one radio cabinet !

May 9, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3,110 of 5,383
After my posts, no one can accuse me of being a felt mat lover - but I thought it is appropriate to share this with you : 

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pizza-Slipmat-Plattenspieler-Plattenteller-Auflage-bunt-Filz-fur-Vinyl-/251519427547?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_DJ_Equipment_Teile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item3a8fb9e3db

May 9, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #3,111 of 5,383
One of my "Other" Turntables, Haters gonna hate, But I love these babies! ( I have another three in storage. )

May 9, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #3,113 of 5,383

I was just cleaning some lp's I bought in the thriftstore. One was an RCA/Victrola Stravinsky's Petrouchka by Monteux, Boston SO. It's a purple label (not a living stereo unfortunately) but it's pretty ok. What, no it sounds pretty terrific.

Also a true find. At first I thought it looked pretty dodgy, some Mantovani or James Last, but as I looked further I saw it was a performance Of Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet by, again, Monteux. It has no mention of the orchestra (London SO, probably not worth mentioning??) but the lp's looked mint (and they are; M-). At €1 a no-brainer.

It's a Westminster Gold Series '70 reissue .
I guess Juliet didn't exactly blow Romeos socks off... :p I mean... whats with the socks?
WGS-8127-2a.jpg

Turns out Westminster has a perculiar humoresque twist in classical albumcovers. Youve got to check out some of these...

WGS-8122b.jpg

WGS-8152a.jpg

WGS-8126a.jpg

WGS-8114b.jpg

WGM-8113a.jpg

WGM-8106b.jpg

WGS-8103a.jpg

WGS-8218b.jpg

WGS-8204b.jpg

WGS-8130b.jpg

I guess Wagners Ring runs Ring around Tolkiens Ring in all round sexyness...
I'm sorry, it's late. And I even haven't had a beer yet... :beerchug:

May 10, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #3,114 of 5,383
I was just cleaning some lp's I bought in the thriftstore. One was an RCA/Victrola Stravinsky's Petrouchka by Monteux, Boston SO. It's a purple label (not a living stereo unfortunately) but it's pretty ok. What, no it sounds pretty terrific.

Also a true find. At first I thought it looked pretty dodgy, some Mantovani or James Last, but as I looked further I saw it was a performance Of Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet by, again, Monteux. It has no mention of the orchestra (London SO, probably not worth mentioning??) but the lp's looked mint (and they are; M-). At €1 a no-brainer.

It's a Westminster Gold Series '70 reissue .
I guess Juliet didn't exactly blow Romeos socks off...
tongue.gif
I mean... whats with the socks?
WGS-8127-2a.jpg

Turns out Westminster has a perculiar humoresque twist in classical albumcovers. Youve got to check out some of these...

WGS-8122b.jpg

WGS-8152a.jpg

WGS-8126a.jpg

WGS-8114b.jpg

WGM-8113a.jpg

WGM-8106b.jpg

WGS-8103a.jpg

WGS-8218b.jpg

WGS-8204b.jpg

WGS-8130b.jpg

I guess Wagners Ring runs Ring around Tolkiens Ring in all round sexyness...
I'm sorry, it's late. And I even haven't had a beer yet...
beerchug.gif

The famous line by Calimero http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calimero  ( It is injustice, IT IS ! ) - how come all the Westminsters I ever got to see were even more dull than the supposed to be #1 in Dullnes of LP Jackets, the Eterna from now ex German Democratic Republic ? No idea about the sound/vinyl quality of the reissues shown, but never a dull moment with their cover art 
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3,116 of 5,383
May 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #3,118 of 5,383
That was the best thing about those Westminister Gold re-issues.  The transfers were medicre, the surfaces noisy.  When I worked in a record/hi-fi store in the 70s, list price was $2.49.  They were probably the worst budget label available at the time, except for the covers.
regular_smile .gif

May 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #3,119 of 5,383
Maybe. I'm quite pleased with this one. The sound is very good and the vinyl is pretty ok. I bought another one at the same time that was much newer (1989 end of era?) that looked very nice. Just some dustfibres it seemed. Well... not. It has lots of crackle even after cleaning w Okki Nokki. And another Berlioz ( C Davis LSO) boxset had 2 records missing. :frowning2: Don't ask, it was closing time. Turned out I already had 1 of the missing disks as a seperate issue. Anyway, I need to pay better attention rummaging through that thrift

May 11, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #3,120 of 5,383
Maybe. I'm quite pleased with this one. The sound is very good and the vinyl is pretty ok. I bought another one at the same time that was much newer (1989 end of era?) that looked very nice. Just some dustfibres it seemed. Well... not. It has lots of crackle even after cleaning w Okki Nokki. And another Berlioz ( C Davis LSO) boxset had 2 records missing.
frown.gif
Don't ask, it was closing time. Turned out I already had 1 of the missing disks as a seperate issue. Anyway, I need to pay better attention rummaging through that thrift

In vinyl record, cycling, electronic parts & similar shops that do require attention on the part of the buyer, remember there is always an ( most of the times invisible ) sign reading :

BRING TIME WITH YOU !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back