Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3,151 of 5,383
I was more like thinking to make my whole system Audio Note, or 47 labs, but I sold my sole Audio Note and I have to start al the way from the beginning. So I put it out of my head. :D

This time I took my time last wednesday and loooked through all boxes of classical albums at the thriftstore and them a thourough inspection this time. I found some very nice albums, 10 in total at €1 a piece. All in fine condition. The funny thing is the 'van Beinum, Concertgebouworkest' is a local recording but the album is made in the US. It has a very old thick cardboard sleeve and is in very good condition. The Dave Brubeck just came in as I was almost finished. Jazz is particularly hard to find, especially in this condition and this good.

Sorry I forgot the TT in the picture. :cool:

May 16, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #3,152 of 5,383
This is my ReVox B795 I bought in the 80's with a new Grado Gold. Awesome turntable

May 16, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #3,153 of 5,383
I was more like thinking to make my whole system Audio Note, or 47 labs, but I sold my sole Audio Note and I have to start al the way from the beginning. So I put it out of my head.
biggrin.gif

This time I took my time last wednesday and loooked through all boxes of classical albums at the thriftstore and them a thourough inspection this time. I found some very nice albums, 10 in total at €1 a piece. All in fine condition. The funny thing is the 'van Beinum, Concertgebouworkest' is a local recording but the album is made in the US. It has a very old thick cardboard sleeve and is in very good condition. The Dave Brubeck just came in as I was almost finished. Jazz is particularly hard to find, especially in this condition and this good.

Sorry I forgot the TT in the picture.
cool.gif

Nice haul at a nice price!

May 16, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #3,154 of 5,383
This is my ReVox B795 I bought in the 80's with a new Grado Gold. Awesome turntable

I have to admit that I'm surprised it still works.  We seemed to have problems at the shop I worked at back then with the new ones.  Beautiful.

May 17, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #3,156 of 5,383
Revox TTs really were oddballs. Back in the day, Ernst Benz of then Empire Switzerland was modifying them for the use with MC cartridges, particularly the Empire MC-1000, after hearing one of Revoxes fitted with MC-1000 at an audio show in US and sounding anything like it should have.

Originally, this super light plastic tonearm is meant for high compliance cartridges. It works OK with them. Benz first replaced the injection molded plastic arm with one milled from a solid block of aluminium - better, but not there yet. Next came milling out of solid brass - this was finally a good match with the MC-1000. Benz also treated the ringing platter, etc, etc - bringing out far better sound than usually associated with Revox TTs. Part of the package was also a propriety record clamp.

Revox arm is among the most demanding to adjust for "anything". No VTA, no azimuth, finnicky to the max, nightmare for changing the cartridge, cartridge kit costing way too much back in the day, let alone now, etc, etc.

In operation it is OK if and when playing records that are within tolerances according to the various/combined norms that were in effect back in the day and should have been adhered to to this day. But if and when a record with hole off-cener more than per proposed norm is attempled, it is likely to go completely berserk; sensors for tangency of the servo controlled linear arm movement/angular error operate both for deflection towards inside (all that is normally required ) AND outside. It can fall in the trap of lag, doing EXACTLY the opposite of what it should have been doing - and the sonical result is a complete disaster.

The whole of the original stock Revox TT is THE WORST likely to be found in turntables ever - the structure has more mechanical resonances than their description could stand in a whole page of head-fi. Swiss engineering is generally praised for outstanding achievements, particularly in mechanics - this certainly is among the lowest points in this regard - ever.

May 17, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #3,157 of 5,383
Yeah, the Revox was a handful but being a glutton for punishment my next turntable was the infamous Mapleknoll Athena! Notoriously difficult to maintain properly set up but....when everything was right it sounded glorious! Ultimately it got the better of me, that sucka was a beast on steroids! I ultimately ended up dropping over 3K on a Linn LP12/Ittok/Lingo in 1990 that I own to this day. 'Sfunny, I'd read that LP12's were fussy but mine's worked without a glitch for 24 years!

May 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #3,158 of 5,383
Yeah, the Revox was a handful but being a glutton for punishment my next turntable was the infamous Mapleknoll Athena! Notoriously difficult to maintain properly set up but....when everything was right it sounded glorious! Ultimately it got the better of me, that sucka was a beast on steroids! I ultimately ended up dropping over 3K on a Linn LP12/Ittok/Lingo in 1990 that I own to this day. 'Sfunny, I'd read that LP12's were fussy but mine's worked without a glitch for 24 years!

Interesting indeed, your analog journey !

Mapleknoll Athena is a variation on the theme of design(s) by Bruce Thigpen - culminating in the Eminent Technology ET2 arm.  I would have liked to see any of the Mapleknolls in flesh - in the end, they shoul sound glorious. I am not a Linnie by any stretch of imagination, but I do hold something analog from them in high esteem -
the Ittok. It is GREAT arm for high compliance MM carts - about the best combo of rigidity vs relatively low effective mass with good overall performance. But you have to use the lightest possible mounting hardware (plastic...) to achieve low enough mass - something Linnies will have struggle with,  having been bombarded the whole life with allen key steel nuts and bolts, no less than three of these "anchors" at a time 
atsmile.gif

May 18, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,159 of 5,383
Spinning tonight, space is the place.

May 18, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #3,161 of 5,383
May 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #3,164 of 5,383

Users who are viewing this thread

Back