Portable Tube Amp Recommendations
Oct 10, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #16 of 27
It's not something that one would want to stack with SP2000 visually, but I just wanted to mention Korg HA-S. It's a great little tube amp that doesn't get mentioned on this forum. HA-S uses same Nutube as iBasso AMP13 and Cayin C9 (which has two of them). While it's sold as DIY kit, I'm bad at DIY and it took me under 30 mins of simple assembly to put it together, no soldering required. HA-S features a swappable op amp section and comes with high quality MUSES01 op amp in the box.

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 27
It's not something that one would want to stack with SP2000 visually, but I just wanted to mention Korg HA-S. It's a great little tube amp that doesn't get mentioned on this forum. HA-S uses same Nutube as iBasso AMP13 and Cayin C9 (which has two of them). While it's sold as DIY kit, I'm bad at DIY and it took me under 30 mins of simple assembly to put it together, no soldering required. HA-S features a swappable op amp section and comes with high quality MUSES01 op amp in the box.
Looks nice, but how practical is it running on 2 x AAA batteries? Do you have to unscrew the lid/case to replace them?

Oct 11, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #18 of 27
Looks nice, but how practical is it running on 2 x AAA batteries? Do you have to unscrew the lid/case to replace them?
It is practical, it uses two AA batteries which last about 10 hours. Can use AA rechargeable batteries with it as well. Lid can be unscrewed quickly with fingers to replace batteries, no screwdriver required.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #20 of 27
Give Oriolus BA300s a try!
this is the only solution for the quality you get vs the price...I owned this bad boy and had it on my old Sony WM1A and it was excellent.

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #21 of 27
Can Woo Audio WA8 be plugged in while running and if so protected against overcharging?

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #23 of 27
Can Woo Audio WA8 be plugged in while running and if so protected against overcharging?
It can be plugged in while using it according to the manual. Also, the battery is user replaceable, but doesn't say it has Mojo2 like desktop mode where it protects the battery to make it last longer if it's just sitting on your desk plugged in.

WA8_Eclipse_Owners_Manual
The Eclipse operates via external DC power or "off-the-grid" battery operation. Advanced technology provides steady and pristine power to the vacuum tubes and the DAC, offering several hours of play – and the unit is operable during charging.
Battery is factory replaceable. Battery should hold charge for many years under normal use.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #24 of 27
It can be plugged in while using it according to the manual. Also, the battery is user replaceable, but doesn't say it has Mojo2 like desktop mode where it protects the battery to make it last longer if it's just sitting on your desk plugged in.

WA8_Eclipse_Owners_Manual
I am going to get one :)

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #26 of 27
I just bought a WA8, received it Monday and I am extremely satisfied. It rivals positively two of my desktop tube amps. The built in ESS DAC is very very good but unfortunately I'm not sold on ESS sound signature so it will definitely not be able to replace the sound of my desktop MHDT Orchid DAC. The amp section is a marvel, definitely does not get all the talk it should considering it's incredible performance while being transportable.

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #27 of 27
I just bought a WA8, received it Monday and I am extremely satisfied. It rivals positively two of my desktop tube amps. The built in ESS DAC is very very good but unfortunately I'm not sold on ESS sound signature so it will definitely not be able to replace the sound of my desktop MHDT Orchid DAC. The amp section is a marvel, definitely does not get all the talk it should considering it's incredible performance while being transportable.
Congrats!! I messaged Woo Audio to see if I could put a deposit down on one to demo and pay shipping both ways and they said they just weren't doing that which I totally get. I just can't in good conscience buy one from a retailer (they suggested this) knowing I am going to return it because 1. I love it and then I wanna buy one used for $12-1400 or 2. I don't love it and I just return because I don't like it. Either way the retailer is forced to discount it and I don't feel right about that and I don't want to pay full retail for one either way. I don't live near a retailer that carries them so even that option is out :frowning2:.

I have never owned a tube amp and the portableness of this really interests me. Not even that I travel that much for work, but I can take it to other places in my house or go easily sit on my back deck with a whiskey.

Can't wait to one day hear this thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back